Old 09 June 2014, 06:17   #1

Towing a ringo with Quicksilver 380HD

Hi

I'm planning on towing a ringo in the summer with my Quicksilver 380HD, but seem to be struggling to get any answers to what seems to be a really easy question.

I thought I'd fasten a bridle on the back to connect the ringo rope to, but can't work out how you're supposed to connect the bridle to the towing holes which are factory fitted on the transom. The towing holes are situated either side of where the engine but also below the sprayshield at either side which obstruct just fastening a rope through the towing hole and over the top of the transom.

The only possible solution I can see is that on the inside of the tubes (in the boat) there are a couple of rings, which seemed to be aligned with the towing holes, so could possible clip / fasten a rope to those, but I was expecting the transom to take more of the stress of towing and not a couple of rings on the tubes. If these rings were used then the rope would just pass through the transom towing holes.

Any help / advice appreciated.

Thanks
Old 09 June 2014, 06:25   #2

Town: Essex
Make: Quicksilver
Length: 4m +
Engine: 30hp
I have 2 loops/rings on the back of transom of my 430 to which I intend to clip a bridle onto. I've never really known what the 2 holes are for?
Old 09 June 2014, 07:17   #3

Town: Chorley / Holyhead
Boat name: Northwind Challenger
Make: Tornado
Length: 6m +
Engine: Mariner 115 efi CT
MMSI: 235080598
RIBase
Send a message via Skype™ to Festinghouse
not really sure what you are trying to describe, do you have a pic? what you really want is two of these fixed through the transom M10 10mm x 100mm Long Shank Stainless Eyebolt Dynamo Ring Eye Bolt + Nut. 316 A4 | eBay
Old 09 June 2014, 08:06   #4

Town: Sussex
Boat name: Bombard
Make: Aerotec 380
Length: 3m +
Engine: Mercury Mariner 15hp
As above you just need M10 SS eye bolts with big spreader washers on the inside of the transom. Splice a bridle from 12 mm rope with a pair of carabiners each end and use a SS ring on the end of the tow rope that slides easily on the bridle.

I'll take a pic of my set up...
Old 09 June 2014, 08:34   #5

Here you go:

I prefer to use separate eye bolts with fully threaded M10 bolts (set screws) cut flush to the eye bolt with head on the inside of the transom and big SS 'penny' washers but end result is much the same.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	bridle.jpg
Views:	2113
Size:	257.5 KB
ID:	95403  
Old 09 June 2014, 09:33   #6

Thanks for the feedback guys, I'll give that a go. I like the idea of utilising the existing tow holes as opposed to drilling / screwing more holes in transom as I often deflate the sib to transport, and I'm paranoid about adding things which might mark / damage it.

Cheers
Old 09 June 2014, 09:52   #7

Town: St Helens
Boat name: Wine Down
Make: Maxum
Length: 8m +
Engine: Inboard
Max's set up works,but I would go with floating rope and a float for the bridle to avoid any prop V rope issues.

For the same reason, holes further up the transom work better to keep as much of the bridle out of the water as possible.

If you havent got one, add a tiller extension to your kit list, letting the helmsman get forward when you first set off helps the boat to plane faster but more importantly allows them to maintain site as the bow comes up. Go for a fixed length rather than the more breakable extendable versions.
Old 09 June 2014, 10:43   #8

Blue thingy is a float and ski rope floats of course. Would have gone higher with bolts but other bits and bobs/previous holes etc on my set-up get in the way and choice of positioning was very limited...
Old 09 June 2014, 10:50   #9

Town: St Helens
Boat name: Wine Down
Make: Maxum
Length: 8m +
Engine: Inboard
Quote:
Originally Posted by Max... View Post
Blue thingy is a float and ski rope floats of course. Would have gone higher with bolts but other bits and bobs/previous holes etc on my set-up get in the way and choice of positioning was very limited...
Sorry, wasnt commenting on the bolt height on yours, just had visions of the OP using water level holes for the job

Thread drift, but been fighting with the matting, cant believe how neat you got yours, it truly is a bugger to fit. Even used your suggestion of a template, but I just cant get it to sit right
Old 09 June 2014, 10:53   #10

I like the thread drift... Are you fitting some mottez foam matting? Picking mine up from screwfix tomorrow, so would be interested in feedback on fitting :-)
Old 09 June 2014, 10:55   #11

On the towing eye height, I should be fine. The pre-fitted tow holes are quite high up the transom.

Thanks for all other advice.
Old 09 June 2014, 10:59   #12

Don't want to hijack this topic with the matting thingy so will copy and quote in the b@stard topic.