Old 03 October 2014, 17:07   #1

Town: Uckfield
Boat name: Dos Anos
Make: Brig
Length: 3m +
Engine: Yamaha f6
Rule inflator question

I have a Rule ID20 High-speed inflator for my Brig Dingo. Two questions.
1. Is it possible to use the rear 12v socket on my car? (I would need to change the crocodile clips and the manual says that cigar lighter sockets should not be used)
2. Probably easier to buy a separate leisure battery for true flexibility (the negative terminal on my Citroen car battery is too inaccessible for the croc clip), so any recommendations for a battery has to be min 45AH.

Many thanks
Old 03 October 2014, 22:22   #2

Town: Oakland CA
Simple way would be to run a couple of wires to the back of your vehicle. Looks like it's rated at 25A, so size wire and fuse as appropriate for the longish run. You can terminate the wires to a couple of studs to give you something to clip the croc clips to.

At 25A, I would not use the rear lighter socket. They're normally rated to 10A (and occasionally lower.)

jky
Old 03 October 2014, 22:46   #3

Town: North Lincs
Boat name: na
Make: F-Rib 330/Excel 330
Engine: Parsun 15hp
Not the same, I know but my Bravo pump states it should not be used in a cigarette lighter, only use directly on the battery terminals. Perhaps the same applies

Phil
Old 04 October 2014, 05:53   #4

Thanks, chaps. Running wires and fixing studs, I'm afraid is not something I'm equipped to do, so a separate battery looks like the answer. Any recommendations?
Thanks again
Old 04 October 2014, 13:13   #5

Town: North Lincs
Boat name: na
Make: F-Rib 330/Excel 330
Engine: Parsun 15hp
To be honest I run mine on a spare 120 ah battery but only because I had one. A few of my friends use the car starter pack that you can pick up on ebay

This type of thing
12V PORTABLE CAR JUMP STARTER AIR COMPRESSOR BATTERY START BOOSTER CHARGER LEADS | eBay

Phil
Old 04 October 2014, 14:12   #6

Phil,
Many thanks for that. Could be me being dense, but I can't see from the picture or description where I would clamps the croc clips - or - are you meant to use its own inflator in which case would it necessarily have the correct adaptor for my boat. Still, a bit cheaper than a leisure battery.
Old 04 October 2014, 17:03   #7

Town: NorCal
Boat name: SHARKY
Make: AB
Length: 4m +
Engine: Honda BF75 & BF5
You clip your little Rule alligator clips to the BIG red and black ones on the jump pack. Note, some jump packs won't engage until they see a proper load, or a high resistance connection, meaning if you connect to it, and it does work you either have to modify the jump pack, or buy a different one.
Old 04 October 2014, 19:41   #8
Administrator

Town: Brighton
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ridgewoodwoody View Post
I have a Rule ID20 High-speed inflator for my Brig Dingo. Two questions.

1. Is it possible to use the rear 12v socket on my car? (I would need to change the crocodile clips and the manual says that cigar lighter sockets should not be used)

2. Probably easier to buy a separate leisure battery for true flexibility (the negative terminal on my Citroen car battery is too inaccessible for the croc clip), so any recommendations for a battery has to be min 45AH.

Many thanks

As others have said, it's a no go with the 12v socket. You'll just blow the fuse.

If you use the car battery there's no need to use the negative battery terminal if it's difficult to get to. You should be able to find somewhere more accessible on the engine block instead which will work just as well.