Old 30 March 2016, 02:09   #1

Town: Auckland
Boat name: Emmylou
Make: Quicksilver
Length: 4m +
Engine: Mercury 30hp 2/st
Quicksilver 430 Heavy Duty plywood floor

Hi all, the join (at the aluminium joiners) between the two forward floor panels in the bow section are "tenting" upwards caused by the inflatable keel. On one occasion the panels have popped out from under the overhang of the front tube. The front pontoon which should hold the panels down is at full pressure and the keel tube is not over-pressurized. They are the original floor panels. Just wondering if other forum members have had a similar issue and if so how they resolved it. My thoughts so far are: a. make a new one piece floor panel to replace #1 & #2, or b. add an edge (aluminium?) to the existing boards to make them slightly wider and therefore less able to pop up, or c. somehow reinforce the two panels to make them ridged. Any feedback would be welcome. Regards SailorTim.
Old 30 March 2016, 05:26   #2

Town: Bristol
Boat name: Salty Cheeks
Make: Honwave
Length: 3m +
Engine: 20hp 2stroke Mariner
Quote:
Originally Posted by SailorTim View Post
Hi all, the join (at the aluminium joiners) between the two forward floor panels in the bow section are "tenting" upwards caused by the inflatable keel. On one occasion the panels have popped out from under the overhang of the front tube. The front pontoon which should hold the panels down is at full pressure and the keel tube is not over-pressurized. They are the original floor panels. Just wondering if other forum members have had a similar issue and if so how they resolved it. My thoughts so far are: a. make a new one piece floor panel to replace #1 & #2, or b. add an edge (aluminium?) to the existing boards to make them slightly wider and therefore less able to pop up, or c. somehow reinforce the two panels to make them ridged. Any feedback would be welcome. Regards SailorTim.
Hi

Some pics would be good.
Old 30 March 2016, 06:53   #3

Town: Stirling
Boat name: The Gurnard
Engine: mariner 25hp 2s
Hi SailorTim..as dave mentioned ..photos tell a thousand words.

I have an 11 year old QS 430HD and never had nor heard of your issue. I have heard of the Ali joiner between the two top boards opening thus allowing the front to come out..and I have heard of someone’s front board splitting altogether.

At the moment ..I fail to grasp how your board could come out the tube overhang at the front ..unless the ali joiner between front and 2nd board is faulty ? ..and that is what came out first. I also cant understand from your description why you mention “Tenting upwards” unless that same Ali joiner is damaged. In my SIB..the front panel angles up towards the bow.. your description sounds like it angles down ?

So to summarize.. I don’t have your issue ..but without photos from you..suspect the fault could be the ali joiner. ?

I trailer my SIB..so if I had your issue..I would join the two top boards together permanently ..with a wood or metal beam bolted across the joint and onto each panel.. at the correct angle that keeps the front board tilting up at the bow..if that makes sense.

Old 30 March 2016, 06:55   #4

Town: Retford
Boat name: Spy-sea-one
Make: Excel 435
Engine: Suzuki Outboard/25/4
RIBase
hi tim

i have a mercury 365 same boat really the front two boards should be held in place a]by the ali u channel on the next board and b] the tubes blown up first then c] the keel pushes them tight against the tubes.i dont see how if the boat is up to pressure they can pop out unless you have a leak or the keel has gone out of line. the back boards on mine held by the stringers which has to be positioned between two plastic blocks on each side which are stuck on the tubes giving the stringer its position.
sorry gurnard you posted whilst i was writing.
cheers
Old 01 April 2016, 08:36   #5

Town: Povoa S Iria Lisbon Port
Boat name: Açores
Make: Ocean Bay
Engine: Suzuki 15 hp
Hi,

have the same problem with mine, resolved with a pair of L shape stringers in the bow connecting the two floor boards.... later will post some images.

Old 01 April 2016, 20:45   #6

https://photos.google.com/u/1/photo/...UD2ECvgaQ-6kmU
Old 02 April 2016, 08:48   #7

Town: Bristol
Boat name: Salty Cheeks
Make: Honwave
Engine: 20hp 2stroke Mariner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Antonio View Post
Hi

Something wrong with the url
Old 04 April 2016, 10:58   #8

https://goo.gl/photos/9mkMc9gvLzB2SUj66
Old 04 April 2016, 21:41   #9

Town: Auckland
Boat name: Emmylou
Engine: Mercury 30hp 2/st
Thank you

Thanks for all the replies and Antonio, thanks for the picture, that looks like a good solution to my issue. Down under we are heading into Autumn so this will be a great winter project.