Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
 
Old 21 February 2010, 05:05   #11
Member
 
Country: UK - England
Boat name: Angel-B
Make: Ex Y boat
Length: 3m +
Engine: Suzuki 9.9HP
Join Date: Apr 2007
Posts: 584
Hmm, well I'm not sure but I don't think it is a Y boat

1. Older Y boats are grey with orange bow dodger (like mine and Mart's). Newer ones are all orange, but none of the newer ones will have reached sell out age yet.

2. The ends of the tubes don't look right - on the Y boat the tubes come to a point, not to a disc like the tubes in the photo.

3. Looks like the valves are different - not sure if they might be pressure relief valves, or valves designed for fill via CO2 cylinder?

4. Y boat oars are permanently rigged, using webbing loops as rowlocks. The stowages for the oar blades on the ends of the tubes do look right though.

5. Usually you can see where the RNLI logos were glued.

There are a few possibilities - it could be a previous build I have not come across before, it could be the boat is not ex-RNLI, it could also be a trials boat - at various times over the years, the RNLI has bought in SIBS and other equipment from various manufacturers for comparative trials, to make sure they are getting the best kit and best value for money.

I would work on the basis it is not ex RNLI - for a 3.5 metre hypalon SIB, 150 is still not a bad price if the condition is not too bad (assuming the state of it is purely cosmetic).

Cheers

Chris
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCF0006.jpg
Views:	107
Size:	78.9 KB
ID:	49275   Click image for larger version

Name:	Dscf0005.jpg
Views:	111
Size:	14.9 KB
ID:	49276  
__________________

__________________
chris123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 February 2010, 05:24   #12
Member
 
Country: UK - England
Town: gravesend
Boat name: curach/Earl
Make: seago/Lifeguard 4M
Length: under 3m
Engine: 3.3 marinar/10 hp
Join Date: Jul 2008
Posts: 802
Quote:
Originally Posted by chris123 View Post
Hmm, well I'm not sure but I don't think it is a Y boat

1. Older Y boats are grey with orange bow dodger (like mine and Mart's). Newer ones are all orange, but none of the newer ones will have reached sell out age yet.

2. The ends of the tubes don't look right - on the Y boat the tubes come to a point, not to a disc like the tubes in the photo.

3. Looks like the valves are different - not sure if they might be pressure relief valves, or valves designed for fill via CO2 cylinder?

4. Y boat oars are permanently rigged, using webbing loops as rowlocks. The stowages for the oar blades on the ends of the tubes do look right though.

5. Usually you can see where the RNLI logos were glued.

There are a few possibilities - it could be a previous build I have not come across before, it could be the boat is not ex-RNLI, it could also be a trials boat - at various times over the years, the RNLI has bought in SIBS and other equipment from various manufacturers for comparative trials, to make sure they are getting the best kit and best value for money.

I would work on the basis it is not ex RNLI - for a 3.5 metre hypalon SIB, 150 is still not a bad price if the condition is not too bad (assuming the state of it is purely cosmetic).

Cheers

Chris
Excellent info Chris ,Closer examination the transom has not been cut away ,it has a plate over,,,,,,,,,,,,, the valve set up does that mean i won t be able to inflate it with bellows? electric pump? will i be able to get the correct valve adaptor? oh dear a right can of worms now,lol
__________________

__________________
thornbackflound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 February 2010, 05:40   #13
Member
 
Country: UK - England
Boat name: Angel-B
Make: Ex Y boat
Length: 3m +
Engine: Suzuki 9.9HP
Join Date: Apr 2007
Posts: 584
Hard to say with the transom - it does look cut away, but obviously don't know who / when it was cutaway.

The white valves look like A3 or SRTU relief valves (see page 8):

http://www.ibs-boats.co.uk/download/...talogue-08.pdf

Zooming in on the photo of the transom, it looks like there might be a black valve on the port tube, just aft of the transom? I assume the seller is supplying a pump? You might have to sort out an adaptor to work with any existing pump you have.

Is there no way you can get down to Plymouth to look at the boat (and potentially save on shipping costs)? Otherwise, I wonder if there are any Plymouth based Ribnetters who could have a look at it for you?

Cheers

Chris
__________________
chris123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 February 2010, 05:56   #14
Member
 
Country: UK - England
Town: gravesend
Boat name: curach/Earl
Make: seago/Lifeguard 4M
Length: under 3m
Engine: 3.3 marinar/10 hp
Join Date: Jul 2008
Posts: 802
Quote:
Originally Posted by chris123 View Post
Hard to say with the transom - it does look cut away, but obviously don't know who / when it was cutaway.

The white valves look like A3 or SRTU relief valves (see page 8):

http://www.ibs-boats.co.uk/download/...talogue-08.pdf

Zooming in on the photo of the transom, it looks like there might be a black valve on the port tube, just aft of the transom? I assume the seller is supplying a pump? You might have to sort out an adaptor to work with any existing pump you have.

Is there no way you can get down to Plymouth to look at the boat (and potentially save on shipping costs)? Otherwise, I wonder if there are any Plymouth based Ribnetters who could have a look at it for you?

Cheers

Chris
Now that would be cracking, if it could be looked at from someone on here from Plymouth ,as there is no way i could get there ,well could but a long train ride and more expense, wonder how much it would cost in fuel to drive to plymouth and back to gravesend kent and would a mate do it darn long way i feel i would have to pay them so proberly cost more,shipping it will only cost me 50 or so zoomed in on the transom looks ok ,it has some sticker peeling off which made it look like a square hole.not asked about the pump ,but as long as i can pump it up with my ones,should be fine,,,,,,,,,once cleaned up ,patchs repaired ,she will stay pumped up and will be taking her to hopfully a portsmouth boat club ,that link is cracking on sib parts ,will add that to favorites
__________________
thornbackflound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 February 2010, 06:14   #15
Member
 
Country: UK - England
Town: North East
Boat name: Sarah Louise
Make: Honwave T38IE
Length: 3m +
Engine: 15 Yamaha, 8 Mariner
Join Date: Jul 2008
Posts: 226
My transom has been cut down from a longshaft one to accomadate a shortshaft, and I was told on here it was nothing to worry about. I wouldn't worry too much about that one as it much less cut than mine, and could probably rectified if it bothered you too much.
I am no expert, but if it was me, I would snap the boat up at that price. You could probably recoup your money if it turns out not to be for you.
Again, I am no expert, just my opinion.
Cheers,
Geoff
__________________
Fishery Pokery is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 February 2010, 06:33   #16
Member
 
Country: UK - England
Town: gravesend
Boat name: curach/Earl
Make: seago/Lifeguard 4M
Length: under 3m
Engine: 3.3 marinar/10 hp
Join Date: Jul 2008
Posts: 802
Quote:
Originally Posted by Geoff_Jubb View Post
My transom has been cut down from a longshaft one to accomadate a shortshaft, and I was told on here it was nothing to worry about. I wouldn't worry too much about that one as it much less cut than mine, and could probably rectified if it bothered you too much.
I am no expert, but if it was me, I would snap the boat up at that price. You could probably recoup your money if it turns out not to be for you.
Again, I am no expert, just my opinion.
Cheers,
Geoff
Make you right Geoff,it is a cracking price and he was gonna throw a home made trailer in aswell ,it looks tatty ,but i reckon i could get her looking good view up close it looks like this NUMBER ON IT,,,,,,,,,,,,KKSKE10? What ever that means
__________________

__________________
thornbackflound is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off





Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 13:59.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.