Old 30 July 2013, 19:26   #11

Town: shrewsbury
Make: Honwave 3.2
Length: 3m +
Engine: Yamaha 2t 15hp
Thanks for the info and advice so far. I've been in the area many times, used to live near by as a youth, but never boated there till I got up to etive last month but was blown off by the funnelling winds in the low twenties. Kerny's right about the gusts and chop.

Thanks for the warning about the recent coastal scares. I've got a vhf and licence, but want to take it very easy till I'm confident about my own capabilities and my kit, especially the motor.

Look forward to any further advice

Chin chin!:thumbs

Old 31 July 2013, 13:25   #12

Town: shrewsbury
Make: Honwave 3.2
Length: 3m +
Engine: Yamaha 2t 15hp
Some very nice pics from gurnard, thanks. I've been looking at charts for launching in loch melfort, round shuna and into loch cragnish. Looks sheltered but I know there are fast currents, and in an inflatable plastic bag, plenty of rocks. I suppose others have done it, just needs care and a bit confidence...

Old 31 July 2013, 14:21   #13

Town: Stirling
Boat name: The Gurnard
Make: Quicksilver
Length: 4m +
Engine: mariner 25hp 2s
Thanks for your comments on my photos puffer.

Re your thoughts on Loch Melfort into loch craignish ..my advice would be...no no no !

The reason is ... you will go through some of the strongest tidal flows on the west of Scotland on this route. The Dorus Mor flows past Craignish point ..and can take the unexpected sailor straight across the sound of Jura and into the Corryvrechan ..third biggest whirlpool in the world

Of course it is possible in a 3 meter inflatable..but make sure you know the tide flows..times and directions of flow .. your main engine is very reliable.. and you have an auxilliary engine too.

I would advise you to keep clear of anything shown on charts as Sound of Jura ..until you have a lot of experience. However that is only my opinion.

But dont let that put you off boating in Loch Craignish or Loch Melford..just keep away from their sea entrances. Loch Craignish is another favourite of mine.

I often launch at a layby near Kirkton chapel..room to park two cars and it has an easy beach launch. However at low tide..its a muddy walk back to the hard shingle shore.

From there I explore round the two large islands..then by keeping close inshore on the east coast of the mainland at Island Macaskin ..I avoid the start of the Dorus Mor ..and go all the way down to Crinan and Duntrune Castle ..I do it in my 2.6m seago with a 3.3 mariner..so no tidal problems in that part of the loch
Old 31 July 2013, 14:36   #14

Town: Stirling
Boat name: The Gurnard
Make: Quicksilver
Length: 4m +
Engine: mariner 25hp 2s
This is a photo of the Dorus Mor at Craignish point..when it is sleeping ..tide almost full out..no wind at all.
Its a fast flowing river.

Hit it wrong ..something go wrong.. and it will sweep you straight across the Sound of Jura..this is a photo of it on a calm night
The flow heads for the gap on the horizon.. even from this distance I could hear the growl of the Corryvrechan. She swirls in the gap
Stay safe my friend..respect the power of the sea :-D

But that is only my advise ..others may disagree with me ..and I will respect their view..assuming they know these waters well
Old 31 July 2013, 15:53   #15
RIBnet supporter

Town: Girvan & Tayvallich
Boat name: Breawatch
Make: Ribcraft
Length: 5m +
Engine: Mercury 150 F/stroke
MMSI: ex directory!!
RIBase
I'll let Alystra reply and comment in the foregoing as it is his home grounds and he knows them like the back of his hand.

Sent from my iPhone using Rib.net
Member of SABS ( Scottish West Division)
jambo is offline   Reply With Quote