Old 29 March 2014, 08:11   #11
Town: Widnes
Boat name: FROG
Make: Zodiac
Length: 3m +
Engine: Outboard 6hp
Originally Posted by Nutorious View Post
Thanks for the advice.

Any members on here with experience with the larger engines for the smaller boats and how they go?

I agree with "Landlocked" The issue is not the weight. I know from a colleague of mine's experience he went out in a rib with the hp over the recommended and after a few fast runs (on the sea) they noticed water on board. The hp was to much for the joints where the transome and tubes meet so it literally pushed the transome into the boat. So be very careful as who can resist opening the throttle "just a little bit more" again as said previously insurance. it's no good claiming for a 9.8hp engine when the max allowed is 8. Just a thought as a newbie myself.

apshutt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 March 2014, 09:11   #12
Town: Lima-Peru
Boat name: Nautile
Make: Sea Rider Boats
Length: 4m +
Engine: Tohatsu 18 /30 HP
A 270 is a very small inflatable with huge bottom drag, to overcome fast on flat calm non windy waters will need a engine that delivers full response and power at full throttle to plane faster, that's with well inflated and ballanced sib. A 2 strokes 15/18 will plane it near instantly, but sib has a nervous response with a overpowered engine reving on a small size hull.

Don't know about legal issues in UK, but a Tohatsu 8 is a detuned version of same 9.8 HP older brother. Both are same size and weigh, it's a different engine from a 9.9 though. 170 CC against 250 CC.

Happy Boating

Locozodiac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07 April 2014, 14:44   #13
Town: South Yorkshire
Boat name: Sold it !
Length: 3m +
Engine: Totallyhotsue 9.8 2S
9.8 Tohatsu 2 stroke is the Holy Grail of outboards. Well built, powerful and light. I spent months searching for mine and ended up paying top dollar but it is a super motor and is easy to man-handle at 26Kg and can be laid any side down.
SIBer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07 April 2014, 15:46   #14
Town: East
Boat name: Seaflyer
Make: Humber
Length: 6m +
Engine: Evinrude
I agree with Apshutt, the boat will have gone through a strict testing regime to be compliant. The manufacturer will know what the transom can safely hold (taking into account user abuse or should I say the unexpected) before walking up the tubes to meet you.
Remember once you deviate from the manufacturers specs you are accepting more risk of things going wrong.
Just consider this - you take a friend for a ride in your boat, the transom or glue to be more precise decides to say sod it and the prop comes in the boat to say hello! passenger is injured but not killed, how will you justify to your insurer fitting a oversize engine? You could end up paying out for years to your victim.
If you must fit a bigger engine speak to your insurers first and accept their advice.
No way do I want to dampen your fun because SIBS are fantastic fun but be safe and cover your arse in case things go wrong.

Seaflyer02 is offline   Reply With Quote