Old 23 April 2014, 17:55   #1

Newbie advice for a 3-4m sib please

Hi, looking for a sib to beach launch 3-4m and fish 1-2 person. Any preferences advice welcome especially lower budget. Thanks
Old 23 April 2014, 18:12   #2

Town: Sussex
Boat name: Bombard
Make: Aerotec 380
Length: 3m +
Engine: Mercury Mariner 15hp
This is in the top five of most asked questions on here and same advice as always year on year! Look on eBay (local ads/ Gumtree, Boats and Outboards etc) for a nice used 3.2m to 3.6m SIB outfit with engine included - preferably a 9.8 or 15hp 2 stroke from one of the big makes - Tohatsu, Suzuki, Mariner/Mercury, Yamaha. Contact the seller as soon as it is listed, view it personally and barter with cash - don't get involved in bidding wars or buying sight unseen.

Stick to an established SIB make - Zodiac, Honwave, Quicksilver, Suzumar, Tohatsu.

Buying this way and going with big established and known brands that hold their value gives you by far the best bang for your buck.

An endless sucession of outfits like this are listed each week - buy one in good condition that someone has seen at a nice boat show, thought 'I fancy that', subsequently not enjoyed the whole hassle/boating thing and therfore taken the original big depreciation hit on.

Budget around £1500 to £1800 for the above. You may often get a trailer included too which can be sold on if not needed.

Buy separately and you're looking at (used and same big name items) - SIB around £500/600, engine around £1200, trailer around £250.

Look after it and you will not lose any money if you re-sell.

Obviously with patience, looking hard, being lucky and maybe not being so fussy on condition/age you can find stuff *much* cheaper than this.

The engines menetioned above (particularly the later mid 2000 models) continue to rise in value not fall.

Obviously you will need a few extras, lifejackets/anchor etc but more often than not you will get these thrown in with the outfit.

This is an example - it's actually a 4 stroke but might suit you better for trolling - I had one of these 380 Tohstsu's and they are big with a really solid proper boat feel - hard floor also great for fishing gear.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/1311733718...T#ht_405wt_954
Old 24 April 2014, 07:42   #3

Town: West Wales
Make: Vipermax 5.8, SR4.7
Length: 5m +
Engine: 150 Opti, F50EFi
Avon, mun.
Old 24 April 2014, 07:54   #4

Yes, totally forgot Avon in that list. . Lots of older but perfectly serviceable and very traditional Avons go for little money.
Old 24 April 2014, 08:07   #5

That link shows a yam 380s, I presume a tohatsu under Yamaha label?
Old 24 April 2014, 08:16   #6

I should have written Yamaha not Tohatsu. Like Suzumars (Suzuki) etc they were made by other SIB builders for the big engine manufacturers to offer a boat to sell alongside their engines in the dealer showrooms. The Yamaha boats were made by Zodiac.
Old 24 April 2014, 08:30   #7

Thanks, have you heard of Excel inflatables, got the v floor and alu type with 5 yr guarantee?
Old 24 April 2014, 11:20   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by gandan View Post
Thanks, have you heard of Excel inflatables, got the v floor and alu type with 5 yr guarantee?
You could go down that route (ie buying a brand new generic, badged, Chinese made lesser known make and then find a separate engine) but that would ignore all the advice regarding best value/lack of depreciation/quality etc...

Be sure to check out the numerous other topics on the exact same subject over the past years in this forum including the hundreds of discussions on 'airfloor vs solid floor' and which one may suit you best.
Old 24 April 2014, 14:47   #9

Thanks max, not going against your advice, they imply that they are done in Sutton Coldfield near Brum not imports, advertising spin I suppose
Old 24 April 2014, 14:48   #10

I am grateful for advice, have already hot all watching on flea bay and the like, if you know any other sources?
Old 24 April 2014, 15:18   #11

Town: Dorset & Hants
Boat name: Streaker/Orange
Make: Avon/Ribcraft
Length: 4m +
Engine: 50Yam/25 Mariner
Quote:
Originally Posted by gandan View Post
I am grateful for advice, have already hot all watching on flea bay and the like, if you know any other sources?
My Bombard 380 package ..in the for sale section ?
Old 24 April 2014, 17:03   #12

Town: Cambridgeshire
Boat name: Nimrod II
Engine: Yam 15 Tohatsu 9.8
Peter has a perfect "performance" outfit there and one that would tempt me if I could lift a 25hp down a beach.

In about two weeks I'll be selling a cracking example of an alloy floor SIB. It's a 2,5yr old Honwave T35AE bought new by me and still as new with all documentation and some useful extras like a genuine Honwave all over cover and seat bag plus a second seat. Outboard is a mint 2001 Mariner 15 2-stroke with all documentation from new.

I'm not trying to say it's what you need but an outfit of that type should be on your short list.

Ask around about both the Honwave and Mariner 15 them pm me if you are anywhere close to Cambridgeshire and at all interested.
Old 24 April 2014, 17:28   #13

Both the above offers are awesome rigs - like Fenlander I am tempted by the Bombard (and have been for years). David (Fenlander) is too modest to say it but his is the perfect all round medium size SIB outfit and having purchased my first SIB and engine from him through this forum you will not have a better buying experience.

It has to be said if you have the opportunity to purchase through this forum from an established member and enthusiast then that is by *far* the best route.

Other avenues are Boats and Outboards, Gumtree, local ads, Apollo Duck, Friday Ads etc, etc.

Just be careful as you will be exposed to all the usual shysters, scammers and outlaws as well as the genuine sellers...
Old 25 April 2014, 18:37   #14

Blimey, the yam and engine didn't even get bid above £1100?!!

Inflatable boat, YAM 380S and Yamaha 13.5 hp, 4 stroke outboard | eBay
Old 25 April 2014, 19:07   #15

Town: north ayrshire
Boat name: charlie girl
Make: S/R5.4/regal3760
Length: 10m +
Engine: Suzukidf70 2x6lp 315
Quote:
Originally Posted by Max... View Post
You could go down that route (ie buying a brand new generic, badged, Chinese made lesser known make and then find a separate engine) but that would ignore all the advice regarding best value/lack of depreciation/quality etc...

Be sure to check out the numerous other topics on the exact same subject over the past years in this forum including the hundreds of discussions on 'airfloor vs solid floor' and which one may suit you best.
We have owned an excell 290 for 10 years one of the very first imported and it has been used and abused on beaches during caravan hols with the kids then used as a tender to our cruiser
Not loved it left it lying on the foredeck for weeks and stuffed it in its bag unwashed over winter
It still looks good with no leaks and no dodgey seams
Only just replaced it with a ribeye aluminum hulled rib cos its lighter
So any one who knocks one doesnt know what they are like
Every bit as good as the 'better' known makes imho
If you want new shiney and cheap id reccomend one
Old 25 April 2014, 19:42   #16

Hi, not knocking it. Just that an established make will always hold it's value better and be easier to sell. As with cars depreciation is generally the biggest cost of ownership and an initially cheaper buy may often lose more than you save.

I own a Chinese made Suzumar SIB and the quality and strength of build is definitely above the Euro boats.
Old 26 April 2014, 08:06   #17

Town: Cambridgeshire
Boat name: Nimrod II
Engine: Yam 15 Tohatsu 9.8
Gandan has PM'd me as I mentioned my outfit that would be for sale soon. He's given a bit of extra info on his needs and I thought I'd post my reply to him so info worth sharing isn't lost to PM's and others can chuck in their opinions....

With your combined weight of 36st and a bit of fishing kit you will probably find an 8/10hp will not plane a SIB and even a 15 could struggle unless conditions are perfect. You would need a 20/25hp to get lively on the plane performance.

So if you don't want the weight of a 20/25 outboard, or the cost of the popular 15hp size with no guarantee of speed I'd accept non-plane performance and go for a 8hp which will push against the tide OK at around 8kts.

For fishing I'd look at alloy or wood floor only.

So it seems a cheaper outfit might suit you. Like this 8hp Suzuki at £710 and this Avon at £381.

SUZUKI 8hp DT8 OUTBOARD SUPERB | eBay

Avon Inflatable Boat, Tender, Rib Complete with oars pump ect. | eBay

If found as an outfit in one listing such slightly smaller engines on older boats can often be chanced on at even lower prices.
Old 26 April 2014, 08:28   #18

What about this bit though in that eBay Avon ad:

"I have used a 15 hp engine on her and she will do 30 knots."

???

A 3.4m Hypalon and wooden floored boat that does 35mph with a 15?!

I want one!
Old 10 May 2014, 18:47   #19

Town: South Yorkshire
Boat name: Sold it !
Engine: Totallyhotsue 9.8 2S
I have no connection with Excel but they are Bristish made and equally as good as the top names often touted. Certanly better than the chinese no names.

But then again I drive a Skoda not an Audi for the same reason. Big brand quality but not paying for a badge.

I bought a 2nd hand Excel and it is great.
Old 10 May 2014, 18:55   #20

Town: north ayrshire
Boat name: charlie girl
Make: S/R5.4/regal3760
Length: 10m +
Engine: Suzukidf70 2x6lp 315
Quote:
Originally Posted by SIBer View Post
I have no connection with Excel but they are Bristish made and equally as good as the top names often touted. Certanly better than the chinese no names.

But then again I drive a Skoda not an Audi for the same reason. Big brand quality but not paying for a badge.

I bought a 2nd hand Excel and it is great.
Sorry to spoil your day,we have owned our 290 excell for 10 years and like you I rate it as good as any other make on the market

BUT they are made in China