Old 15 May 2023, 05:48   #21

Town: Swansea
Boat name: X pro
Make: 3d tender
Length: 3m +
Engine: 30hp 4 stroke
Quote:
Originally Posted by Easedalenovice View Post
If you can I would go a little bigger than the 3.6 you will not regret it. A 20 hp will easily power a small rib up to about 4 m.

The Gurnard uses a 25 on his 4.2.

My sib is also for when I am towing other things but I would not want to be without my Honwave T38 for many trips
Yes definitely looking at gurnards thread as they are a bit thinner than my last sib maybe up to a 4m would be ok as long as don’t compromise on performance with the 20 I have. Thanks mate looking forward to this little venture now.
Old 15 May 2023, 07:34   #22

Town: Appley Bridge
Boat name: RedNeck
Make: Excel SD360
Engine: Mercury EFI 20HP
MMSI: 235924407
Quote:
If you can I would go a little bigger than the 3.6 you will not regret it. A 20 hp will easily power a small rib up to about 4 m.

The Gurnard uses a 25 on his 4.2.

My sib is also for when I am towing other things but I would not want to be without my Honwave T38 for many trips
Hi Dennis, is that the T38 - IE3? If it is, how about a complete writeup/review.
I'd be interested as I'm sure others would.
Old 15 May 2023, 08:20   #23

Town: Colchester
Length: 5m +
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve509926 View Post
Hi Dennis, is that the T38 - IE3? If it is, how about a complete writeup/review.
I'd be interested as I'm sure others would.
The one I have is the IE 2 which I love. I would like the IE 3 but the ie 2 does all we need and I have got over the trim tab issue re the transducer. It is also light enough (46kg) for me and my wife to carry on its own so have not worried about wheels as such.

I have just bought the T35 AE3 as a trailer sib.

Couple of videos here

Old 15 May 2023, 12:48   #24

Town: Stirling
Boat name: The Gurnard
Make: Quicksilver
Length: 4m +
Engine: mariner 25hp 2s
Quote:
Originally Posted by beamishken View Post
Even the best of the best sib will be no where near as good as a rib. The Gurnard did a write up on here somewhere of when he got his alu rib & found after years of extolling the virtues of his sib that his new rib was a game changer. .

Hi Jenks87 ..the above quote illustrates how misleading some of the posts on RIBNET actually are ..in particular from the Beamerman.

I have the Alu Hull 420 Quicksilver for 3 years now and before that 8 years of its equivallent size SIB the 420HD wooden floor Quicksilver

Here is a selection of relevant quotes from the write up that Beamer refers to.

"Although it out performs the SIB in both manoeuvrability and speed.. I will say that the SIB went the same places as the RIB and also handle heavy seas as well... although a bit slower.

Therefore it is all a compromise.. if you want more space and better value for money..a heavy SIB on a trailer is still a worthy boat. If you want to spend twice as much on a boat and have a little less space ..but more speed with ability to turn on a sixpence then the RIB is undoubtedly the boat for that.

I will add that after a couple of days pulling donuts in the RIB, I lost interest in doing tight turns etc .. as it is not required for exploring remote coasts ... so manoeuvrability is not a selling point for me. However fuel efficiency is ..it is almost 15% more efficient in using fuel at the same cruising speed as the SIB."

And also this post sums it up again

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Gurnard View Post
Hi SixtyNorth

Yup..there are still very good reasons to have a heavy SIB on a trailer rather than a RIB.. for some folks it’s not all about performance on the water.

The two most obvious reasons are my comparable SIB to this RIB is half the price. That is a big deciding matter for many folks.

Another very good reason.. ... considering some folks have kittens thinking about drilling a hole in a transom.. they die getting scratches on the bottom of their fibreglass RIB. How many on hear fear getting deep gouges in their lovely hulls ? So they don’t land often unless on pontoons or such. I land where I fancy. It doesn’t bother me..as the bottom of my F Rib shows ... and its only four years old. I buy a boat to use but many don’t .. they want to polish and pamper their pride and joy .. they are not wrong either as thats what they want from a boat

The inflatable was 16 years old and despite constant beach landings..letting her dry out overnight then refloat n the morning when exploring remote places ..it did not have a single patch on its under hull. Its not always possible to know what a boat will dry out on when visiting unknown beaches ..as this photo shows..There were 3ft waves pounding it on that rock when it refloated in the morning. How would a fibreglass or Ali hull look after that ?

I have used the new Alu hull for only two days and already have a couple of scores through the powder coating into the Aluminium. Only time will tell how it stands up to such treatment.

Also.. To be honest..a good percentage of SIBS on trailers are because folks initially wanted a boat that could be packed away..not realising how heavy the outboards are ..they then either give up..or get a trailer to save their backs. They are only being sensible too..as hernias are painful things . Its a good entry into boating

So..yes..there are still some very good reasons why some folks have SIBS on trailers..its not because we don’t know any better ..its because different folks have different needs and wants from a boat.

I can also add that three years later ..the bottom of my Alu Hull RIB is a right mess ..the powder coating is wearing off and the Aluminium has deep scores ..my 16 year old SIB didnt have one patch on its bottom ..which is still for me..the big plus for a SIB. I let the boats dry out on a falling tide when camping which causes the mess on an Alu Hull boat but it scores easy.

Its why the RNLI and Rescue parties also use SIBS in shallow waters..they outclass Alu Ribs in those conditions

If I had to buy another boat tomorrow..it would be a toss up between a SIB or a RIB of equivalent size ..mood and money at the time would be my influence. I also have an F Rib and get fed up being left behind in a chop by my mate in his Honwave IE3 airfloor as I cant keep up the same speed as him because the hard hull knocks my teeth out in a chop..while his SIB is a softer ride... so he keeps on going full speed ahead. In flat seas I leave him behind though.

What I did find was a game changer and possibly what confuses beamer over that thread ..is I got rid on my Mariner Two Stroke and replaced it with the Yamaha 25HP EFI fourstroke electric start.. its only 6KG heavier than the old two stroke.

I would never buy a two stroke again.. though I would by a SIB again.

Hopefully that info is of help to you ..it is only my opinion.. but based on personal experience...and not on misquotes.
Old 15 May 2023, 21:57   #25

Quote:
Hi Jenks87 ..the above quote illustrates how misleading some of the posts on RIBNET actually are ..in particular from the Beamerman.

I have the Alu Hull 420 Quicksilver for 3 years now and before that 8 years of its equivallent size SIB the 420HD wooden floor Quicksilver

Here is a selection of relevant quotes from the write up that Beamer refers to.

"Although it out performs the SIB in both manoeuvrability and speed.. I will say that the SIB went the same places as the RIB and also handle heavy seas as well... although a bit slower.

Therefore it is all a compromise.. if you want more space and better value for money..a heavy SIB on a trailer is still a worthy boat. If you want to spend twice as much on a boat and have a little less space ..but more speed with ability to turn on a sixpence then the RIB is undoubtedly the boat for that.

I will add that after a couple of days pulling donuts in the RIB, I lost interest in doing tight turns etc .. as it is not required for exploring remote coasts ... so manoeuvrability is not a selling point for me. However fuel efficiency is ..it is almost 15% more efficient in using fuel at the same cruising speed as the SIB."

And also this post sums it up again

I can also add that three years later ..the bottom of my Alu Hull RIB is a right mess ..the powder coating is wearing off and the Aluminium has deep scores ..my 16 year old SIB didnt have one patch on its bottom ..which is still for me..the big plus for a SIB. I let the boats dry out on a falling tide when camping which causes the mess on an Alu Hull boat but it scores easy.

Its why the RNLI and Rescue parties also use SIBS in shallow waters..they outclass Alu Ribs in those conditions

If I had to buy another boat tomorrow..it would be a toss up between a SIB or a RIB of equivalent size ..mood and money at the time would be my influence. I also have an F Rib and get fed up being left behind in a chop by my mate in his Honwave IE3 airfloor as I cant keep up the same speed as him because the hard hull knocks my teeth out in a chop..while his SIB is a softer ride... so he keeps on going full speed ahead. In flat seas I leave him behind though.

What I did find was a game changer and possibly what confuses beamer over that thread ..is I got rid on my Mariner Two Stroke and replaced it with the Yamaha 25HP EFI fourstroke electric start.. its only 6KG heavier than the old two stroke.

I would never buy a two stroke again.. though I would by a SIB again.

Hopefully that info is of help to you ..it is only my opinion.. but based on personal experience...and not on misquotes.
Thank you for this gurnard, coming from someone with such knowledge in this game has really helped with decisions and has also made me think of a million other options 🤪 I love the sibs for such beach landings and coastal exploring and like you said can Chuck them onto any coast and they will handle most terrain. I mainly launch from a slip/hard sand beach and mostly land on Sandy beaches where I live (Gower, Swansea) and also quite enjoy the anchoring up and swim in to shore (summer months only) this swaying me to go for a rib and I’ve never had one so that doesn’t help as always want to try new things. Here’s a link to the one I’m looking to get see what you think. Mines mainly for fishing and sometimes need to get somewhere quickly if the fish are biting as the tides and different terrains round here are all a good few miles apart on different tides so handy being able to get about quickly and efficiently. https://oceanfirstmarine.co.uk/products/3d-tender-xpro-rib-aluminium-reinforced-390

Yes the new four stroke are lovely and quiet as well and weigh the same so game changer for me. New 20 tohatsu to go with the new rib which will push that thing nicely.

Look forward to reading more of your threads. A lot of knowledge which helps a lot with newbies like myself.

Tidy 👍🏻
Old 16 May 2023, 05:36   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jenks87 View Post
Thank you for this gurnard, coming from someone with such knowledge in this game has really helped with decisions and has also made me think of a million other options 🤪 I love the sibs for such beach landings and coastal exploring and like you said can Chuck them onto any coast and they will handle most terrain. I mainly launch from a slip/hard sand beach and mostly land on Sandy beaches where I live (Gower, Swansea) and also quite enjoy the anchoring up and swim in to shore (summer months only) this swaying me to go for a rib and I’ve never had one so that doesn’t help as always want to try new things. Here’s a link to the one I’m looking to get see what you think. Mines mainly for fishing and sometimes need to get somewhere quickly if the fish are biting as the tides and different terrains round here are all a good few miles apart on different tides so handy being able to get about quickly and efficiently. https://oceanfirstmarine.co.uk/produ...reinforced-390

Yes the new four stroke are lovely and quiet as well and weigh the same so game changer for me. New 20 tohatsu to go with the new rib which will push that thing nicely.

Look forward to reading more of your threads. A lot of knowledge which helps a lot with newbies like myself.

Tidy 👍🏻
Get your rib and a Honwave T38 ie3 ………….Sorted
Old 16 May 2023, 05:50   #27

Quote:
Get your rib and a Honwave T38 ie3 ………….Sorted
Haha the dream would be to have both, but my pockets say no 🫠 maybe one day
Old 16 May 2023, 06:44   #28

Town: north ayrshire
Boat name: charlie girl
Make: S/R5.4/regal3760
Length: 10m +
Engine: Suzukidf70 2x6lp 315
One thing no one's mentioned but I see its a (quite expensive) option is fitting a console which takes a boat of this size into another level whilst obviously pushing the budget its maybe something worth thinking about at a later date & there are much cheaper console options if your prepared to fit out yourself rather than the plug & play option offered. Whilst the gurnard seems to think I miss qouted him (wasnt intentional sorry!) he was certainly happy with his rib initially & we dont disagree that the rib does most things better than a sib with the exception of price. Regarding damage to the rib we have owned our aly rib for 10 years & its still fine on the bottom but our use is probably more average & not as extreme as gurnards use & from the sound of things your use wont see it bouncing off rocks which should see long service for you.
Gurnards comment about the f rib shaking his teeth out is no real surprise as they are relatively flat bottomed to allow them to fold. Imho the f rib is the worst of all worlds ie they are expensive, dont fold as well as a sib & dont perform like a rib. Like the gurnard, I'd have another sib as they do have their place & some benefits (actually I still own 2) but for your use my go to would be the rib. But I wouldn't even consider an F rib (only my opinion)
Old 16 May 2023, 06:56   #29

Quote:
One thing no one's mentioned but I see its a (quite expensive) option is fitting a console which takes a boat of this size into another level whilst obviously pushing the budget its maybe something worth thinking about at a later date & there are much cheaper console options if your prepared to fit out yourself rather than the plug & play option offered. Whilst the gurnard seems to think I miss qouted him (wasnt intentional sorry!) he was certainly happy with his rib initially & we dont disagree that the rib does most things better than a sib with the exception of price. Regarding damage to the rib we have owned our aly rib for 10 years & its still fine on the bottom but our use is probably more average & not as extreme as gurnards use & from the sound of things your use wont see it bouncing off rocks which should see long service for you.
Gurnards comment about the f rib shaking his teeth out is no real surprise as they are relatively flat bottomed to allow them to fold. Imho the f rib is the worst of all worlds ie they are expensive, dont fold as well as a sib & dont perform like a rib. Like the gurnard, I'd have another sib as they do have their place & some benefits (actually I still own 2) but for your use my go to would be the rib. But I wouldn't even consider an F rib (only my opinion)
Beamishken, yes that’s my exact thoughts, maybe down the line (probably sooner than later) I will fit a light weight console, some lovely and good priced light weight ones out there.

Yes regarding the f-rib I looked at these but soon turned my head to the deep hull rib as if I’m guna do it do it first time and not wish I could have. Seem to do that a lot with this boating malarkey 🤪 so many options.

Get this 3.9 rib with the long shaft tiller on then look into a light weight console down the line. Don’t ever want to go to big as love being able to handle these sibs/ribs alone as makes for a more challenging but rewarding game 👍🏻
Old 16 May 2023, 06:58   #30

Hi again Jenks87 ..yup I can fully understand you wanting to try a lightweight RIB as that is how I felt when I bought mine. I am perfectly happy with mine and dont regret buying it. Just dont be mislead by statements such as "the best SIB wont match a RIB" .

All boats are compromises and none are perfect or else everyone would have the same one. Yes the tiller stear Alu Hulls are faster in good conditions and turn on a sixpence..but they are no SR4 Rib and certainly nothing like a 5 plus meter RIB with console and powerful outboard.

In the big chop..they are not any better than the equivalent size SIB and not any drier either. I would say I see more large SIBS on trailers than Alu RIBs around the places I go boating. All these boat owners are not stupid folk ..they have their SIBS on trailers for reasons which suit them. If speed and towing skies or running Slalom courses then the RIB is definately a better choice. Fishing and exploring or long distance touring.. Im happy with either a floored SIB or RIB for reasons mentioned.

I cant comment on the Alu Hull one you link to other than say it looks a nice boat. I can comment on several other Alu Ribs as I have first hand experience of them

Example the Highfield Classic and the Quicksilver Alu Hull boats are the exact same probably made in same factory. They are heavier that the one you linked to. Personally I would want the thickest aluminium on my hull possible. These hulls are 3mm thick and 4mm thick at stress points around the transom. Research why your linked one is much lighter...is it because of thinner Alu hull ?

I admit Im totally guessing here but I sometimes worry about my Alu Hull. In certain wave conditions and going at speed ..mainly short sharp Loch Chop waves .. I can clearly see the hull flexing and vibrating. I worry becuase where the hull is welded to the internal floor..its rigid and doesnt vibrate. It could well be my imagination but Aluminium is quite soft..and bend it enough times..it fractures. When I see it vibrating and Im in the middle of an exposed sea crossing .. I will drop to displacement speed. Last thing anyone wants is a split to appear in their hull at sea. I would keep planing in my SIB in those conditions too. I may be worrying over nothing..but I though it worth mentioning. I have not heard of any Alu Hull ribs cracking yet either so treat my observations with a pinch of salt if you wish.

Regards MattH Quicksilver 380 and transom wheels..he told me it was no problem using them..same as a similar sized SIB. I also know he sold the 380 version as he realised the 420 size would suit him better too.and thats what he has last time I heard from him. Dont worry about these boats being narrower than SIBS..I was a little concerned to begin with but having gone many hundreds of miles in some terrible conditions..its not an issue even when sea is side on.

The Quicksilver and Highfield Classics are designed for tiller stearing ..not all Alu Hull RIBs are. I say this because my wingman bought the Excel Virago 420 RIB last year. Its designed to have a heavy console. He wanted open deck space and tiller steer. When he got it he was very disappointed as it ran at almost a 45 degree angle when off the plane ..and had to do around 16mph to get it on the plane. He has sorted the issue with hydrofoils. A bag of sand up front would also have sorted it..but again its worth mentioning..if the boat you are looking at is designed for console..it may have same issues.

Having seen both the tiller stear Excel Virago running beside the Quicksilver .. I would much prefer my Quicksilver.

Anyhoo..thats about all I can add.Any other questions fell free to ask.

Oh..and sorry to hear about the Excel Vangard .. I appreciate it has quite a few unhappy owners. Highland Haggis was the first I know to find out how bad some can perform. His first one ..he got on loan ..ran perfect with his 20HP..so he bought one ..and it had same issue you had. He eventually got a full refund. I hope you do too.
Old 16 May 2023, 07:10   #31

Quote:

Hi again beamer.. for absolute clarity .. I do disagree with your generalising that RIBS outperform SIBS in every way

Everyone had different needs and uses for boats and once again you highlight that . I would rather a 2.75 meter F Rib than a 2.75 meter sib for the use I put it too.. But I would never tell you its better for you

Im delighted to see you now admitting some RIBS are not as good as SIBS.. so we are slowly getting there
Old 16 May 2023, 07:13   #32

Quote:
Hi again Jenks87 ..yup I can fully understand you wanting to try a lightweight RIB as that is how I felt when I bought mine. I am perfectly happy with mine and dont regret buying it. Just dont be mislead by statements such as "the best SIB wont match a RIB" .

All boats are compromises and none are perfect or else everyone would have the same one. Yes the tiller stear Alu Hulls are faster in good conditions and turn on a sixpence..but they are no SR4 Rib and certainly nothing like a 5 plus meter RIB with console and powerful outboard.

In the big chop..they are not any better than the equivalent size SIB and not any drier either. I would say I see more large SIBS on trailers than Alu RIBs around the places I go boating. All these boat owners are not stupid folk ..they have their SIBS on trailers for reasons which suit them. If speed and towing skies or running Slalom courses then the RIB is definately a better choice. Fishing and exploring or long distance touring.. Im happy with either a floored SIB or RIB for reasons mentioned.

I cant comment on the Alu Hull one you link to other than say it looks a nice boat. I can comment on several other Alu Ribs as I have first hand experience of them

Example the Highfield Classic and the Quicksilver Alu Hull boats are the exact same probably made in same factory. They are heavier that the one you linked to. Personally I would want the thickest aluminium on my hull possible. These hulls are 3mm thick and 4mm thick at stress points around the transom. Research why your linked one is much lighter...is it because of thinner Alu hull ?

I admit Im totally guessing here but I sometimes worry about my Alu Hull. In certain wave conditions and going at speed ..mainly short sharp Loch Chop waves .. I can clearly see the hull flexing and vibrating. I worry becuase where the hull is welded to the internal floor..its rigid and doesnt vibrate. It could well be my imagination but Aluminium is quite soft..and bend it enough times..it fractures. When I see it vibrating and Im in the middle of an exposed sea crossing .. I will drop to displacement speed. Last thing anyone wants is a split to appear in their hull at sea. I would keep planing in my SIB in those conditions too. I may be worrying over nothing..but I though it worth mentioning. I have not heard of any Alu Hull ribs cracking yet either so treat my observations with a pinch of salt if you wish.

Regards MattH Quicksilver 380 and transom wheels..he told me it was no problem using them..same as a similar sized SIB. I also know he sold the 380 version as he realised the 420 size would suit him better too.and thats what he has last time I heard from him. Dont worry about these boats being narrower than SIBS..I was a little concerned to begin with but having gone many hundreds of miles in some terrible conditions..its not an issue even when sea is side on.

The Quicksilver and Highfield Classics are designed for tiller stearing ..not all Alu Hull RIBs are. I say this because my wingman bought the Excel Virago 420 RIB last year. Its designed to have a heavy console. He wanted open deck space and tiller steer. When he got it he was very disappointed as it ran at almost a 45 degree angle when off the plane ..and had to do around 16mph to get it on the plane. He has sorted the issue with hydrofoils. A bag of sand up front would also have sorted it..but again its worth mentioning..if the boat you are looking at is designed for console..it may have same issues.

Having seen both the tiller stear Excel Virago running beside the Quicksilver .. I would much prefer my Quicksilver.

Anyhoo..thats about all I can add.Any other questions fell free to ask.

Oh..and sorry to hear about the Excel Vangard .. I appreciate it has quite a few unhappy owners. Highland Haggis was the first I know to find out how bad some can perform. His first one ..he got on loan ..ran perfect with his 20HP..so he bought one ..and it had same issue you had. He eventually got a full refund. I hope you do too.
Yea gutted about the vanguard ad that was what I invested all my money into as my final frontier of sib fishing and it was a complete let down, and seems for about 15 others now as well (hence the try a rib out)

Very good info on all of this gurnard, I have enquired regarding the thickness of ally etc so waiting to hear regarding this.

I totally agree with the sib on a trailer. As soon as I got my vanguard I purchased a trailer. Totally makes sense, and saves my back for a few years haha

Yes I looked into the quicksilver and the high field, very smart ribs but thought i would try this one out with the deeper hull, this ones for tiller steer but I’ve got an extension so I can sit on the bow if needed.

Will update with any progress and how it goes once purchased.

Thanks again all, a lot of info to help me here.
Old 16 May 2023, 07:31   #33

Another nice big Sib at a good price (£1350 is) for trailer use is of course the Honwave T40AE3. Worth a look but if you are sold on a rib maybe not
Old 16 May 2023, 10:52   #34

Town: Cambridgeshire
Boat name: Nimrod II
Make: Aerotec 380
Engine: Yam 15 Tohatsu 9.8
Despite having no direct experience of these light alloy RIB models always been interested to refresh my understanding when someone chats about them on here.

So Jenks is it this one that you favour?

https://oceanfirstmarine.co.uk/colle...reinforced-390

I was puzzled as to why it is a lot lighter and £500 cheaper than the less interesting looking "standard" 3D Ultimate 390 Alu.

https://oceanfirstmarine.co.uk/colle...-aluminium-rib

Is there a difference I've missed? Do they both definitely have double floors and bow lockers.
Old 16 May 2023, 11:39   #35

Town: Appley Bridge
Boat name: RedNeck
Make: Excel SD360
Engine: Mercury EFI 20HP
MMSI: 235924407
I think the picture on the reinforced 390 looks very decieving. It looks too big to be a 390, is it a picture of a 420?
Old 16 May 2023, 12:16   #36

[QUOTE=Fenlander;862853]Despite having no direct experience of these light alloy RIB models always been interested to refresh my understanding when someone chats about them on here.

So Jenks is it this one that you favour?

https://oceanfirstmarine.co.uk/colle...reinforced-390

I was puzzled as to why it is a lot lighter and £500 cheaper than the less interesting looking "standard" 3D Ultimate 390 Alu.

https://oceanfirstmarine.co.uk/colle...-aluminium-rib

Is there a difference I've missed? Do they both definitely have double floors and bow lockers.[/

Fenlander this is something I’m unsure about. Although the ultimate does have an internal 35l petrol tank with a double bow locker and the one I’m hoping to get doesn’t have the internal tank and just one locker up front I think. Unsure if this would add to the extra 15kg but quite possibly.
Old 16 May 2023, 12:21   #37

Town: Cambridgeshire
Boat name: Nimrod II
Make: Aerotec 380
Engine: Yam 15 Tohatsu 9.8
Ahh yes possibly. I'd not noticed the integral tank and extra locker... might be it.
Old 16 May 2023, 12:27   #38

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fenlander View Post
Ahh yes possibly. I'd not noticed the integral tank and extra locker... might be it.
Yes I’d imagine this would at a little bit more weight but I’m unsure to be honest. Prefer the platform to the xpro as slightly wider and flatter. I do have photos of the one I’m purchasing which is in grey but I don’t know how to upload onto here haha
Old 16 May 2023, 12:29   #39

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2397.jpg
Views:	63
Size:	54.4 KB
ID:	142670
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2398.jpg
Views:	63
Size:	55.2 KB
ID:	142671  
Old 16 May 2023, 12:32   #40

Town: Up North and right a bit
Make: XS500/Merc340/Bic245
Engine: Mar 60/20/3.5/Hon2.3
I think you might find the biggest difference between these is the Defender X-Pro has a deeper V and takes a longshaft motor.

Tags
sib