Old 29 March 2008, 16:53   #1

Boat name: Yam340S
Make: Yamaha (Zodiac)
Length: 3m +
Engine: Mariner 8HP 4stroke
New sib dilemma, expert advise needed

I am new to this great forum, I have spent last few days lurking around and absorbing information from some of the fantastic posts found here.

Basically, I am looking to purchase new (or used excellent) sib and outboard to match it.

However, I was told different opinions by some dealers on two makes I was evaluating
Quicksilver 340 Air Deck / Sport and Yamaha Yam 340S, ie. some of them claim Yams are badly made (cheap version of Zodiac and will not be produced anymore under Yam name).
Others say Quicksilver are very good, however cheaply made, so I am confused a bit and don’t know which one to go for.
Since I am based in London my possibilities to view these sibs live are impossible unless of course you know of a showroom that is near by?
I am planning to transport the sib to the Meds before this summer.
Both models are similarly priced, however I think wooden floor may be more flexible option should I decide to transport it on the plane (two bags with approx 25kg each, engine would be transported separately at later stage most likely via land ) – do you think this is possible?
Engine wise, I was thinking to pair the boat with 8 / 9.9hp 2 stroke Yamaha or 15hp 4 stroke which is heavier, but quieter and better on fuel economy (either of them should suit my requirements for tooling around with up to 4-5 persons which include 2-3 kids).
I would really appreciate opinion and advise of people here who have used these sibs and which they would prefer and why.

Thanks and regards
Dan
Old 29 March 2008, 17:42   #2

Town: Lima-Peru
Boat name: Nautile
Make: Sea Rider 450 Rib
Length: 4m +
Engine: Tohatsu 5/18/30 HP
Quote:
Originally Posted by danilo View Post
I am new to this great forum, I have spent last few days lurking around and absorbing information from some of the fantastic posts found here.

Basically, I am looking to purchase new (or used excellent) sib and outboard to match it.

However, I was told different opinions by some dealers on two makes I was evaluating
Quicksilver 340 Air Deck / Sport and Yamaha Yam 340S, ie. some of them claim Yams are badly made (cheap version of Zodiac and will not be produced anymore under Yam name).
Others say Quicksilver are very good, however cheaply made, so I am confused a bit and don’t know which one to go for.
Since I am based in London my possibilities to view these sibs live are impossible unless of course you know of a showroom that is near by?
I am planning to transport the sib to the Meds before this summer.
Both models are similarly priced, however I think wooden floor may be more flexible option should I decide to transport it on the plane (two bags with approx 25kg each, engine would be transported separately at later stage most likely via land ) – do you think this is possible?
Engine wise, I was thinking to pair the boat with 8 / 9.9hp 2 stroke Yamaha or 15hp 4 stroke which is heavier, but quieter and better on fuel economy (either of them should suit my requirements for tooling around with up to 4-5 persons which include 2-3 kids).
I would really appreciate opinion and advise of people here who have used these sibs and which they would prefer and why.

Thanks and regards
Dan
If money is not a big issue, buy a Hypalon Quicksilver instead of PVC fabric, will last longer and is a more environment friendly fabric. If the idea is to go out with 4/5 passengers all the time, a 340 will be short, would recommend a 380 with at least 15 HP, preferably 2 stroke, this small engine is not a gasoline eater and weighs less than a 20 HP 2 stroke engine. 4 strokes weights about 10 more kilos comparded to same 2 stroke versions.

Air mats have pros and cons. An air mat 340 floor weights about 12/14 KG less than 340 wooden or aluminum floors. If it's a matter of air transportation to far away distances, other alternative will be a 380 VIB floor sib, a not removable inflatable one piece floor/deep V keel, just unfold,inflate & launch.

If you are going to invest on a good sib, don't go for short sib/engine sizes, medium would be prefferebly although more costly.

Happy Boating
Old 29 March 2008, 18:58   #3

Thanks for your reply Lukozodiac.

Unfortunately I don't think Hypalon Quicksilver is available here in UK in the bigger sizes only in 240 and 270 versions.
I was initially considering 380 model, however this boat is much heavier and it would require more people to launch / transport it, therefore not an option for me.
The boat would possibly carry 4/5 people over short distances, but with 1-2 full weight adult(s) only. That would make total passenger weight to approx let's say 280-300kg, Quicksilver 340 Air Deck can carry 705kg in total, where sport would allow 570kg only.

How easy is to fold / pack the air deck comparing to the wooden/alu floors and does anyone know the actual weight of the Quicksilver 340 / Yam 340s on it's own without the floor boards?
Old 29 March 2008, 20:33   #4

Quote:
Thanks for your reply Lukozodiac.

How easy is to fold / pack the air deck comparing to the wooden/alu floors and does anyone know the actual weight of the Quicksilver 340 / Yam 340s on it's own without the floor boards?
You can fold in 3-4 pieces orr roll as a carpet, weights about 4 kilos, wooden & aluminum are bulky and heavier compared to. The total 340 air sib is much lighter than the wooden ones, better ask the seller the precise weight, but must be around 42/45 kilos. The floor is only 8-10 cm thick and very flexible.

This size can handle a 15 HP with no problem at all, the lesser 2 stroke weight will be ideal. If you go for air deck be sure to buy a good tube hand pump or electric inflator that will inflate your floor to about 12 PSI in order to perform (cruise) well and a pressure manometer. Will have hard time inflating to 12 PSI using a foot pump. Don't go for any sib lenght under 340.

Happy Boating
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	SRD-320-04.JPG
Views:	596
Size:	85.7 KB
ID:	33701  
Old 29 March 2008, 22:15   #5

Town: Devon
Boat name: White Ice
Make: Ranieri
Length: 5m +
Engine: Suzuki 115hp
Hi Dan and welcome.

You've certainly got a lot to think about there!

Quote:
I was told different opinions by some dealers... so I am confused
I sympathise with you. Dealers talk a real load of old tosh, and strangely the one you're talking only stocks the one good product... funny isn't it! Well, SiBs are quite peculiar because all the different brands are mostly made in the same factory in Taiwan. Makes a nonsense of their quality claims doesn't it?
Quote:
I think wooden floor may be more flexible option
I think you would be well advised to look at air floors - much lighter and more flexible.
Quote:
should I decide to transport it on the plane... do you think this is possible?
Nothing's impossible, but I can't say I would like to do that myself. Bloody good luck to you!

The Yam inflatables have a good reputation as far as I know. Quicksilver have a very good reputation and the advantage of an effectively longer waterline length due to the asymmetric rear cone design. For the engine, keep your eye on the weight.

Hint - I used to have a wooden floored 380 with a Tohatsu 18hp. It went like lightning. But the whole rig together was so heavy that I ended up keeping it on a trailer. I now have an air floor 230 with a Mercury 5hp.

Have a look at Lodestar inflatables as well - http://www.lodestardirect.co.uk/

Hope this helps!
Richard B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 March 2008, 22:49   #6
RIBnet admin team

Boat name: imposter
Make: FunYak
Engine: Tohatsu 30HP
MMSI: 235089819
Quote:
however I think wooden floor may be more flexible option should I decide to transport it on the plane
Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard B
I think you would be well advised to look at air floors - much lighter and more flexible.
and then if you fly through terminal 5 you can pump up the floor and use it as an airbed
Old 29 March 2008, 23:01   #7

Town: cornwall
Boat name: nothing
Make: rib eye 430
Engine: tatsu 50
MMSI: 666
I think you will find that 2 packages of even wieght isn't the case . I think the boat will wiegh twice as much as the floor .

I remember comparing wieghtand size etc when I bought a honda sib , the 3.8 air floor was approx 55kg and the alloy floor model was about 75kg with the floor being only approx 25kg of that wieght .

the 3.2 honda air floor may be worth a look , it takes a 15 hp certainly no quality problems there .
Old 30 March 2008, 22:04   #8

Thanks for the replies everyone, it looks as the Air Deck is the way to go then.
Do you think 6HP Yamaha 2 stroke would be too small for running around job.
I 've heard some of these 2 stroke engines could be modded to higher HP is this true for 6HP version too?
Not that is only cheaper, but this engine is considerably lighter, which is one of my main concerns, remember my "over pesimistic transport plan" as pointed out in polwart 's post.

regards
Old 30 March 2008, 22:08   #9

Quote:
Thanks for the replies everyone, it looks as the Air Deck is the way to go then.
Do you think 6HP Yamaha 2 stroke would be too small for running around job.
I 've heard some of these 2 stroke engines could be modded to higher HP is this true for 6HP version too?
Not that is only cheaper, but this engine is considerably lighter, which is one of my main concerns, remember my "over pesimistic transport plan" as pointed out in polwart 's post.

regards
Yam 6 HP is too small, don't go under 8-9.8 HP if portability is a must (don't confuse with 9.9), but the ideal will be no less than 15 HP, to not repent soon having bought the wrong trust engine.

What Richard B states is true, now with globalization many sib/ribs are being built in China, Korea, Taiwan and for well known boat companies as well with their logos & colors.

Happy Boating
Old 31 March 2008, 08:02   #10

Town: Bucks
Boat name: Blue & Ding Dong
Make: Ribeye,SR4 & Bombard
Length: 6m +
Engine: 115,50 & 15Hp Yams
Hi I had been looking for a QS 3.4 air deck With a Yamie 15hp 2 st for ages & ended up with a Bombard Airotec 3.8 & the Yamie (too good a deal to pass!) & I have to say I have been very happy with it! I was looking for a large tender as we are a family of 5, but so glade I ended up with something bigger as it dose the tender roll& a lot more!
I did have a old Yam B4 & had no problem with the quality!
I would go for a 3.4 min & something like the Tohatsu 9.8 Hp 2 st as this will keep the weight right down, but if you can a 3.8m & a 15hp 2 st My boat & engine only weighs in at 78 Kg !

Nick
Old 03 April 2008, 09:24   #11

Thanks again for your replies guys!

It seems that the prices have gone up over recent weeks, I don't know whether this is due to the inflation or the nearing season?
I have never been to one of these boat jumbles/shows so not sure whether I am better of making the purchase now or wait a bit and possibly get slightly better spec at one of the coming boat shows? What is your general view on this please? Are there good deals to be had there or not?
Old 03 April 2008, 21:23   #12

Town: London
Hi Danilo

I've done so much research I feel I should open a SIB shop myself! Like you, I live in London and it seems impossible to try out anything.

Anyway, after months of research I've realised that there's not a significant difference between eg a 2005 package and a new package, so I'd recommend stretching that little bit extra to a new boat. They don't seem to devalue like cars do.

Good luck mate!!
Old 04 April 2008, 08:26   #13

Town: Worcester
Make: Northcraft
Length: 6m +
Engine: 115hp Yam 4 stroke
MMSI: 235063097
Danilo

Maybe you should have a look at Jono's post http://rib.net/forum/showthread.php?t=23926

That's a great price for the Quicksilver.
Old 04 April 2008, 11:38   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trickdog View Post
Danilo

Maybe you should have a look at Jono's post http://rib.net/forum/showthread.php?t=23926

That's a great price for the Quicksilver.
Thanks for pointing it out (as Nick Hearne did, thanks Nick), however it might have gone already...