Old 25 July 2018, 05:24   #1
TJR

Town: Manchester
Boat name: Kim
Length: under 3m
New rib 3m set up?

Well I had a bombard tropik, but after some investigation and removal of tiny amounts of glue that appeared to be hiding holes, I’m cutting my losses as I’ve repaired two holes already, there is certainly another one which I’ve discovefed and potential for a fourth, I’m drawing the line here as I’m sure I’ve just been sold a pup unfortunately as there is small amounts of glue covering holes (I’m talking tiny amounts) which have only become visible as I’ve patched the others up.

That aside

I’ve decided I’m going to buy brand new, I know there are plenty of trusted sellers on forums and Ebay, but I don’t want to risk it a second time.

As ‘buy cheap, buy twice’

So

I’m after a new fold up rib / sib 3m ish
With a inflatable keel and decent floor to allow the boat to plane (two adults)

And a 8/10 HP outboard

Budget all in around £2000

I’ve looked at these Boatworld pro 330 set ups, they look good? Anyone used or own one? Apparently they can take 10-15hp according to the website

Honwave seem a little expensive for what they are? £2500 mark for 8HP?

They sell orca outboards as a package too? Been told they aren’t worth the money.

As I mentioned above, I’m only interested in brand newribs. I’d consider a used motor from a dealer with some kind of after care
Old 25 July 2018, 10:11   #2

Town: Cambridgeshire
Boat name: Nimrod II
Make: Aerotec 380
Length: 3m +
Engine: Yam 15 Tohatsu 9.8
You may think the Honwave packages are expensive but the Honwave boats themselves are fantastic value. The issue is that at around £2000 there is not enough budget for a new outboard and SIB.

After your experience I would echo what I said a couple of days ago... go for the new SIB... say a Honwave 3.2 at £870... and then find the very best newish used outboard you can. With over £1000 to play with for the OB you should get something decent.

The other alternative is a complete used newish outfit but you may be a bit wounded after the Tropik and want to make sure that the SIB at least is new.
Old 25 July 2018, 10:22   #3

Town: Retford
Boat name: Spy-sea-one
Make: Excel 435
Length: 4m +
Engine: Suzuki Outboard/25/4
RIBase
sound advice from fenlander there honwave's are great boats and for the money spot on i would say you would get a deal on a package based on a secondhand engine with your budget.
Old 25 July 2018, 11:15   #4

Town: Reading
Boat name: JALSA
Make: Honwave T32IE2
Engine: Honda BF6
Quote:
Originally Posted by TJR View Post
I’m after a new fold up rib / sib 3m ish
With a inflatable keel and decent floor to allow the boat to plane (two adults)

And a 8/10 HP outboard

Budget all in around £2000
I was in the same boat as you about couple of months ago. Max budget of £2500, 3m'ish SIB, 6hp OB plus accessories. All new. Tried various permutations and combinations, I could not achieve it. Thing is apart from the boat and OB, there are quite a few essential, good to have and non-essential but-could-be-handy accessories that you will need to buy (unless you already have them). The list can get very long and your imagination is your limit.

Gave up and decided to go for a used set-up and posted my requirement in the classified section here. I was surprised to see PMs from members who were not actively selling. So just because there is no ad in the "For Sale" section for a boat of your liking, doesn't mean someone is not thinking/planning to sell. Within a week agreed a sale on a 1 year old 3.2m Honwave + 1 year old 6hp Honda OB and a boat load of "essential accessories" all in pristine condition and for a reasonable price, which suited both the seller's as well as my pocket. Drove 50 miles to see the seller who did a brilliant demo for me and I came back home happy.

I went on to build my kit further and ended up spending more but no regrets.

In your shoes, I will go back to the drawing board and see what is realistic and either increase the budget or look for good quality used set-up. SIBs are cheaper so you can buy new but if a used engine you buy turns out to be dodgy, you will end up spending a lot more. This may not apply if you have skills to perform surgery on OBs with proven success.

I second Fenlander that Honwaves are really good value for money and I am very happy with mine so far.

Boating is an expensive hobby, there is no running away from that.

Enjoy SIB/RIB'ing. It's much more fun than you think.
Old 25 July 2018, 12:04   #5

OK TJR here is a damn good example of what would probably serve you well...

https://www.gumtree.com/p/boats-kaya...els/1307156652

The Honwave is just 4yrs old so should be totally fault free. The Mercury 9.9 under the hood is exactly the same engine as the Mariner 9.9 I've just bought new for around £1700.... and a 2013 which should again be faultless.

Very useful extras are its transom wheels worth £150 new and the Bravo 12v inflator which is over £100 new.

£2250 not so far off your budget and it's ONO.

Just an idea??
Old 25 July 2018, 18:08   #6
TJR

Town: Manchester
Boat name: Kim
Length: under 3m
Thanks for the replies and advice, I think I’ll have to visit a honwave dealer at the weekend and see a package price.

Maybe the budget will have to be increased by a couple of ££ so be it.

I’ve got the bulk of the basic accessories and the remaining needed are going to come separate to the budget.

I think I’ve got a firm base to start from with a honwave
Old 26 July 2018, 06:11   #7

Town: Lincolnshire
Boat name: Mousetrap
Make: Zodiac Cadet 310S
Engine: Mariner 4 stroke 9.9
I nearly bought a Honwave. My one reservation was that the floor is V shaped and I wanted a flat floor so stuff would stay where I put it. For this reason, I went for Zodiac with a "traditional" plywood floor. Honwave are impressive boats though and good value.
Old 26 July 2018, 07:14   #8

I must admit because TJR was initially looking at an outfit at a minimum budget I'd not worried too much about the whys and wherefores of different makes/models/types because his choice was restricted to what was available.

However now he's considering brand new for boat and outboard then yes of course you can choose the model with details that suit.

For the benefit of TJR as I know you know all this Mike...

The particular Honwave model I have mentioned is the T32IE with a slightly V shaped high pressure inflatable floor... and well suited to carrying in the car and a daily setup. But as Mike says the floor isn't flat so you have to stow stuff so it wont move.

Honwave of course make alloy floor models and either a 3.0m or 3.5m are cheaper new than the T32IE. They have completely flat sturdy floors but are heavier and more of a faff to assemble.

Zodiac make a hard flat floor like Mike has/had but price is the problem. They are £300 more than a Honwave for a similar size.

Zodiac air floor models might also be a good choice for TJR but these are even more costly around £600 more than the Honwave air floor. The Zodiac air floor is flat though if that is important but it's a lot extra to pay to save more thoughtful gear stowage.

A possibility is the Bombard Typhoon 3.1m with flat air floor. That is just £150 more than the Honwave air floor.
Old 26 July 2018, 21:30   #9

Town: London
Length: 6m +
Zodiac Cadet 360 worked for me mated with a 9.9HP Mercury. Got on the plane easily. Easy to inflate / deflate. Good quality. Got rid as upgraded to a new XS 6.5m RIB.

Tags
rib