Old 03 February 2015, 07:47   #1

Boat name: Commando C4
Make: Bombard
Length: 4m +
Engine: Tohatsu 30HP M25C3
New here. Questions !

Hi,

After months of google-ing and reading on the forums I have finally bought my first boat: a Bombard 380 Aerotec (2005) with a 15hp Mercury 2-stroke (year mid-nineties).

We (2 adults, 2 kids 6 and 9) want to take the boat to France this summer, Gulf of St. Tropez.

Questions:

- What do we need to carry with us in the boat besides lifevests. Spare-parts, tools, anchor ?
- We want to cruise a long the coast and visit the Isles near Hyeres, is it (in calm weather) ok to take this type of SIB out on the sea for, let's say, 5, 10 km's ?
- We're camping in Cogolin. Cogolin has a port (Marines de Cogolin). The fees are on their website (+/- 55,- euros for a week). That sounds cheap to me. Anyone here who has had his boat in Marines de Cogolin ? How safe is it to leave the boat and the outboard in a port ?

Thanks !

ps: I'm Dutch and English is not my native language but it's better than Van Gaal's English.
Old 03 February 2015, 12:06   #2

Town: S. Carolina
Boat name: D560
Make: Avon
Length: 5m +
Engine: 2016 Merc 115hp CT
Quote:
Originally Posted by piotr View Post
Hi,

After months of google-ing and reading on the forums I have finally bought my first boat: a Bombard 380 Aerotec (2005) with a 15hp Mercury 2-stroke (year mid-nineties).

We (2 adults, 2 kids 6 and 9) want to take the boat to France this summer, Gulf of St. Tropez.

Questions:

- What do we need to carry with us in the boat besides lifevests. Spare-parts, tools, anchor ?
- We want to cruise a long the coast and visit the Isles near Hyeres, is it (in calm weather) ok to take this type of SIB out on the sea for, let's say, 5, 10 km's ?
I would recommend a coast flare kit (aerial, smoke, and handheld flares), oars, navigation lights, and a bailer bucket to supplement your current equipment.

5-10 km is a perfectly typical journey for a boat this size, just be sure you have a minimum 1/3 reserve of fuel, even in cases where you are fighting wind or current.

Wind is a large factor. With a 15 hp and a boat that size with that load, you will want to ensure the weather forecast is for very calm weather.
office888 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03 February 2015, 13:45   #3

Another question: the manual of the Mercury 15 MH says: "The use of clamp
handles alone is insufficient to properly and safely secure the
outboard to the transom"

Does this mean I have to drill holes in the transom and use bolts ?
Old 03 February 2015, 13:57   #4

Town: teesside
Boat name: magic
Make: humber 5.5
Engine: mariner 115
MMSI: 232012453
I think Holland to the south of France is too far to travel in a sib . on a more serious note I would invest in a vhf radio if your going out to sea and remember hand held vhf only have a short range. I have not used bolts to secure my mercury 15 and have been in some quite choppy water with no problem (doesn't mean that you shouldn't tho)
Old 03 February 2015, 14:00   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by beerbelly View Post
I think Holland to the south of France is too far to travel in a sib

We travel by car, taking the sib with us
Old 03 February 2015, 14:10   #6

Town: Castlebar
Boat name: Clewless
Make: Valiant DR 490
Engine: 60 hp ETEC
MMSI: Awaitng one
RIBase
I would recommend the bolting of the engine to the transom
Old 03 February 2015, 14:21   #7

Town: S. Carolina
Boat name: D560
Make: Avon
Engine: 2016 Merc 115hp CT
Quote:
Originally Posted by beerbelly View Post
I think Holland to the south of France is too far to travel in a sib . on a more serious note I would invest in a vhf radio if your going out to sea and remember hand held vhf only have a short range. I have not used bolts to secure my mercury 15 and have been in some quite choppy water with no problem (doesn't mean that you shouldn't tho)
Ooo, good recommendation! I forgot about a VHF. I have a 25w unit on my boat.

The HX850s has built-in GPS. It wouldn't be a bad idea for a small boat.

I would not thru-bolt on a small boat. It is just one more hole to seal and potentially rot from.

The US Military didn't bolt their 30hp IMARs outboards on their FC470s.
office888 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03 February 2015, 15:15   #8

Town: Oakland CA
Length: 3m +
Quote:
Originally Posted by piotr View Post
Depends on how handy you are and how reliable the motor is, but a basic tool kit (screwdrivers, pliers, crescent wrench, medium vise grips, and electrical and duct tape) often comes in handy (and not necessarily on the boat.)

VHF, as has been mentioned; a small handheld GPS unit is a wise thing to have if caught out in fog or near/after dark (though knowing how to use it and having your starting location in is pretty much required as well.)

Some snacks and water, and warm clothes (preferably dry.)

Quote:
Assuming it's calm, I'd say yes. You probably don't want to be out in rough water with the kids, especially offshore.

Quote:
ps: I'm Dutch and English is not my native language but it's better than Van Gaal's English.
Actually, it's better than a lot of English I see on here.

Have fun;

jky
Old 03 February 2015, 18:29   #9

Town: Stirling
Boat name: The Gurnard
Make: Quicksilver
Engine: mariner 25hp 2s
Hi Piotr

I have not taken a SIB to France ..so I don’t know ..but perhaps you need to check what documentation you should have on the boat. ..if any ?

Having lived in France for a year..I know how official the French like to be..especially if you are not a fluent French speaker. Perhaps you are though ?.. I wasn’t, so seemed to attract their Police as I looked easy meat for traffic fines.. yet they all drove their cars like mad men.

Some documentation..you may want to check is..do you need a licence ? ...example an ICC (International Certificate of Competence) .. Documentation to prove you own the boat and the engine.. Documentation for your insurance .. Documentation and licence to prove you can use the VHF ..etc etc.

I would imagine they will also have a set list of stuff you should carry..and if you are not carrying it and stopped..its fine time again.

A couple of links to get you started..but as mentioned..I don’t know if it applies to you ..or to a SIB with a 15HP outboard.. but you are best looking into it for peace of mind.

Paperwork | Boating Abroad | Information & Advice | RYA

https://www.adventure-sports.co.uk/2...nse-in-france/
Old 03 February 2015, 21:07   #10

Town: South Yorks
Boat name: Black Pig
Make: Ribcraft
Engine: DF140a
MMSI: 235111389
RIBase
If your boat isn't registered in your home country ( or any other country for that matter), you will be subject to French local law which is quite stringent, especially if you're not French . It's not just about the paperwork for the boat, it's about your personal paperwork. The first thing I would do is register the boat in the Netherlands & comply with the requirements of your home country.

.....sh1t happens.......
Rule#2: Never argue with an idiot. He'll drag you down to his level & then beat you with experience.
Rule#3: Tha' can't educate pork.
Rule#4:Don't feed the troll
Pikey Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04 February 2015, 08:52   #11

I was prepared I have a licence and ICC, Boat is registered.

Thanks for the links and info.

One more thing: i don't have a trailer, i guess its quite easy to launch the boat from a beach but how do you lauch the boat from a quay (?) or boat jetty (?), first attach the outboard ? Or attach the outboard once the boat is in the water ?
Old 04 February 2015, 10:37   #12

Town: Widnes
Boat name: FROG
Make: Zodiac
Engine: Outboard 6hp
If you have wheels on it or use a dolly then engine on first would be my option.
Old 06 February 2015, 07:11   #13

Town: New York
Boat name: SS.Pool.Toy
Make: Zoom By Zodiac
Engine: 2006 mercury 15hp
MMSI: n/a
you will damage your boat trying to move it. Do yourself a favor and buy transom wheels (you will need to drill holes in transom). I recommend you carry extra spark plugs and a plug removal tool along with the other stuff. be very mindful of wind speed 13mph for is is the limit. i do not go out anything past 13mph wind speed. If your worried about your outboard falling off, You can tie a string in the holes after tightening to ensure it will not get lose and fall off
Old 08 February 2015, 09:15   #14
RIBnet admin team

Boat name: imposter
Make: FunYak
Engine: Tohatsu 30HP
MMSI: 235089819
That's a very specific limit you've set yourself! conditions depend on a lot more than wind.
Old 08 February 2015, 12:31   #15

Town: New York
Boat name: SS.Pool.Toy
Make: Zoom By Zodiac
Engine: 2006 mercury 15hp
MMSI: n/a
The chop usually gets pretty nasty around my neck of the woods past 13mph. I am no pro nor am i a weather man. Just basing it on past experiences
Old 09 February 2015, 16:43   #16

Town: Delmarva
Boat name: Ss Minnow
Make: Zodiac
Engine: Lehr Propane
You should check with the French Coast Guard to see what there regulations are.
Every Coast Guard has a check list of required and suggested items to use while boating.
Try and stay out of the shipping channels if there are any where you are going.
Even if it is not a requirement you will need some type of horn and navigation lights just to be safe.
I always error on the side of caution

A family is not replaceable