Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
 
Old 02 July 2014, 10:29   #61
Member
 
Country: UK - England
Town: Sussex
Boat name: Bombard, Y-162
Make: Aerotec 380, Y-Class
Length: 3m +
Engine: Mercury Mariner 15hp
Join Date: Jul 2010
Posts: 2,691
Pointless reading reviews like that -just like cars - Merc, BMW, Audi, Ford, VW etc - they all have issues that people moan about online but the *vast* majority of people have no real issues to talk of. Do you think all these huge worldwide companies would still be in business if the engines were cr@p?!

Exactly the same with marine engines - just stick with a big known brand - ie Mercury/Mariner, Honda, Tohatsu, Suzuki, Yamaha etc and stay away from the cheaper Chinese brands - they generally are perceived to be lower quality with less reliability but regardless will lose you more come resale in depreciation and hassle to re-sell than you will gain.

And like others here I'd really advocate going bigger than 2.5 - OK, the 9.8 might be out of your spec but there are lots of other options inbetween.
__________________

__________________
Max... is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02 July 2014, 10:47   #62
Member
 
Country: Other
Town: Lisbon
Make: Suzumar
Length: 3m +
Join Date: May 2014
Posts: 142
Quote:
Originally Posted by Max... View Post
Pointless reading reviews like that -just like cars - Merc, BMW, Audi, Ford, VW etc - they all have issues that people moan about online but the *vast* majority of people have no real issues to talk of. Do you think all these huge worldwide companies would still be in business if the engines were cr@p?!

Exactly the same with marine engines - just stick with a big known brand - ie Mercury/Mariner, Honda, Tohatsu, Suzuki, Yamaha etc and stay away from the cheaper Chinese brands - they generally are perceived to be lower quality with less reliability but regardless will lose you more come resale in depreciation and hassle to re-sell than you will gain.
You have a good point there. My world is mountain biking and usually user reviews are very biased. Either they love the brand and make it seem like it's the best bike ever or they feel like they've invested poorly and say it's the worst bike ever. Either way, most of them are far from the truth.


Quote:
Originally Posted by Max... View Post
And like others here I'd really advocate going bigger than 2.5 - OK, the 9.8 might be out of your spec but there are lots of other options inbetween.
That's just the thing... I can't find anything in my budget. 4 strokes are still pretty recent and it's hard to find 5 or 6 hp outboards. And when I do, the prices are always ridiculous...
__________________

__________________
Amukinado is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02 July 2014, 11:05   #63
Member
 
Country: UK - England
Town: Sussex
Boat name: Bombard, Y-162
Make: Aerotec 380, Y-Class
Length: 3m +
Engine: Mercury Mariner 15hp
Join Date: Jul 2010
Posts: 2,691
Can you not buy in the UK and get it shipped over?
__________________
Max... is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02 July 2014, 11:36   #64
Member
 
Country: Other
Town: Lisbon
Make: Suzumar
Length: 3m +
Join Date: May 2014
Posts: 142
Maybe. But wouldn't the postage be insane?

And then I don't know if I could register it as things tend to get really bureaucratic in here.

I don't know how it works in the uk, but in here I need to have my boat inspected and registered so I can fish with it. The registration has to be made by the first owner with the original receipt. If he doesn't do it and sells the boat or the engine to someone else, they can no longer be registered.

So when buying used I need a declaration from the marine delegation where the boat with the engine was registered saying that the engine was detached from the original boat.

I also need a seller contract with his signature certified.

Then I can get my boat a new inspection and register the engine with my boat.

Plus the process isn't cheap at all.

So if the papers or the process turns out to be different, most likely I cannot register the engine.
__________________
Amukinado is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02 July 2014, 12:11   #65
Member
 
Landlockedpirate's Avatar
 
Country: UK - England
Town: St Helens
Boat name: Wine Down
Make: Maxum
Length: 8m +
Engine: Inboard
Join Date: Apr 2012
Posts: 934
I think sometimes people forget that not everyone has an unlimited budget.

Is the 2.5hp Yamaha a good engine ? Its a good as any other small 4 stroke.

Will it move the boat ? Yes, but quite slowly.

Is it the perfect engine for the boat ? No, but you have a plan to upgrade when money allows.

Get out and buy it before someone else does.
__________________
Landlockedpirate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02 July 2014, 12:21   #66
Member
 
Country: Other
Town: Lisbon
Make: Suzumar
Length: 3m +
Join Date: May 2014
Posts: 142
Quote:
Originally Posted by Landlockedpirate View Post
I think sometimes people forget that not everyone has an unlimited budget.

Is the 2.5hp Yamaha a good engine ? Its a good as any other small 4 stroke.

Will it move the boat ? Yes, but quite slowly.

Is it the perfect engine for the boat ? No, but you have a plan to upgrade when money allows.

Get out and buy it before someone else does.
That's the way I think. I know it's not the engine this boat deserves but it's something. And right know it's probably the only viable solution I have. Plus, it drinks 10 times less fuel than the Tohatsu 9.9 (2 stroke), which is a big deal for me and means more time in the sea.
__________________
Amukinado is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02 July 2014, 15:33   #67
Member
 
Locozodiac's Avatar
 
Country: Other
Town: Lima-Peru
Boat name: Nautile
Make: Sea Rider Boats
Length: 4m +
Engine: Tohatsu 18 /30 HP
Join Date: Sep 2007
Posts: 1,706
It's not the same being just a boater, than being a boater and a mechanic or one inclined to mechanics too. First ones usually receives the worts reviews of both world.

Although a 2 strokes 9.9 engine consumes 10 times more fuel compared to a 2.5, will have 10 times more fun & speed while boating those nice beaches.

-Why don't you sell one of your bikes and go for a larger 9.9-15 HP engine, that way will spend mpore time on water than on dirty roads, specially during summer months.

Happy Boating
__________________
Locozodiac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02 July 2014, 15:43   #68
Member
 
Country: Other
Town: Lisbon
Make: Suzumar
Length: 3m +
Join Date: May 2014
Posts: 142
Quote:
Originally Posted by Locozodiac View Post
It's not the same being just a boater, than being a boater and a mechanic or one inclined to mechanics too. First ones usually receives the worts reviews of both world.

Although a 2 strokes 9.9 engine consumes 10 times more fuel compared to a 2.5, will have 10 times more fun & speed while boating those nice beaches.

-Why don't you sell one of your bikes and go for a larger 9.9-15 HP engine, that way will spend mpore time on water than on dirty roads, specially during summer months.

Happy Boating
I have just one mountain bike and one motorcycle. Can't really get rid of them. And btw, I don't ride on dirty roads... I only ride trails!
__________________
Amukinado is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03 July 2014, 12:40   #69
Member
 
Country: Other
Town: Lisbon
Make: Suzumar
Length: 3m +
Join Date: May 2014
Posts: 142
Today I gave the boat a good scrub. It's looking a bit better, but I'll have to get some specific product to really make it shine. The dolphins are starting to come out slowly.





__________________
Amukinado is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05 July 2014, 18:16   #70
Member
 
Country: Other
Town: Lisbon
Make: Suzumar
Length: 3m +
Join Date: May 2014
Posts: 142
Finally have an engine! I went against everyone's advice and got the Yamaha as it was the only viable option I had atm. Tried it with 3 adults onboard and it was ok. Slow but very acceptable. Strolled around nicely. Engine didn't seem to be struggling or anything.



Final budget was 830 (boat+tow+outboard). I still had some extra expenses (safety equipment, etc) but still seems very reasonable to me. Now it's time to get it on sea.
__________________

__________________
Amukinado is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off





Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 01:01.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.