Old 01 June 2014, 18:57   #21

Town: Lima-Peru
Boat name: Nautile
Make: Sea Rider 450 Rib
Length: 4m +
Engine: Tohatsu 5/18/30 HP
Sorry to disagree on some points , a long shaft engine will start as fast as a short shaft engine, will depend entirely on engine health, that's well tuned to perfection.

The only issue that will experiment using a long shaft on a short shat transom will be a huge water splash out transom at plane if that engine can have the power to plane a 320 sib easily. If only can achieve fast displacement non planing speeds not an isssue. Go for any 2 strokes, less weight.

Will add being a longer shaft means will need to boat with caution on shalow waters or risking bumping lower tail against hidden rocks, sand beds, etc.

For peace of mind and wallet, ask seller if that's a short or long shaft engine ? You can always add a 5" transom mount or a second water deflector for that long shaft to work perfect on a short shaft transom.

That offered 5 HP looks a short shaft to me, compare to this S one...

Happy Boating
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Back Water Splashes.JPG
Views:	224
Size:	96.6 KB
ID:	95171   Click image for larger version

Name:	Tohatsu 05 HP.JPG
Views:	199
Size:	56.2 KB
ID:	95172  
Old 01 June 2014, 19:17   #22

Town: Lisbon
Make: Suzumar
Length: 3m +
Locozodiac, the owner says it's a long shaft!

It's a pity because that's probably the best engine I've found so far.
Old 01 June 2014, 19:24   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by Landlockedpirate View Post
It depends on the engine, most of them have a sticker telling you.

I dont see it as a disadvantage, I love the smell of 2 stroke oil in the morning

2 stroke V 4 stroke has been done to death, have a search on the forum.
I'm undoubtedly a 4 stroke guy, especially when talking about bikes. But when it comes to this kind of boats I think simplicity is the key an it's a shame 2 stroke engines aren't being produced anymore.
Old 01 June 2014, 19:27   #24

Have my doubts a 5 HP will plane a 320, if so, probably with you alone, if being a feather champ with lightly loaded sib. Is it possible to trial that 5 HP on your 320 before buying it. Talk to owner, would be my best advice.

Wrong, 2 strokes of most brands are still being built, just don't see them any more on countries that have banned them. We currently import 2 strokes Tohatsus 3.5-5-18-30-40-50 HP engines. We're a smoker country..

The posted owner pic does not corresponds to a long shaft, tomarrrow will post a long shaft engine pic.

Happy Boating
Old 01 June 2014, 19:36   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by Locozodiac View Post
Have my doubts a 5 HP will plane a 320, if so, probably with you alone, if being a feather champ with lightly loaded sib. Is it possible to trial that 5 HP on your 320 before buying it. Talk to owner, would be my best advice.

Happy Boating
Unfortunately the guy lives 200 km away from me so it's very hard to try the engine on my sib before buying it.

I'm not worried about the splashing because from the videos I've seen a 5hp won't plane my boat. My main concern is damaging the engine on some hidden rock or when I get to the beach sand. I'm mostly gonna launch the boat from the beach so I would have to be even more careful.
Old 01 June 2014, 19:40   #26

Quote:
Wrong, 2 strokes of most brands are still being built, just don't see them any more on countries that have banned them. We currently import 2 strokes Tohatsus 3.5-5-18-30-40-50 HP engines. We're a smoker country..
You edited your post and got me confused...

I didn't know that. I assumed they were no longer being produced because they're not for sale in Europe.

Quote:
The posted owner pic does not corresponds to a long shaft, tomarrrow will post a long shaft engine pic.
Hmm... I'm gonna talk to him to see if he made a mistake or posted another pic. Maybe there's hope!
Old 01 June 2014, 19:49   #27

Town: St Helens
Boat name: Wine Down
Make: Maxum
Length: 8m +
Engine: Inboard
I was wrong, Loco is right, I should have looked at your link.

Heres a picture of my 2006 Tohatsu 5hp, it was definately a short shaft, and it looks identical to yours.

Small 2 strokes are not banned in Europe but emissions regulations from 2006 made them non compliant and you cant import them anymore. They are still available all over the world (including just across the water in Alderney), but not in Europe
Old 01 June 2014, 22:33   #28

I just found out the problem... the picture was stolen from some other place:

TOHATSU 5HP OUTBOARD MINT 2 STROKE BOAT DINGHY ENGINE SHORT SHAFT Yamaha f n r | eBay

http://portocity.olx.pt/motor-auxili...-iid-455357251

This is a long shaft engine:

Old 02 June 2014, 17:46   #29

So you went for it if being short or long shaft ? Long shaft engines have longer middle section than S size. If the 320 won't plane not an issue issue using a L size. You can always pivot engine to change angle when boating on shallow waters, will have plenty of water for prop to grip and push sib well.

If it's mission impossible for boat to plane it's much better to throttle enough to maintain boat riding near paralell to water level at just fast displacement speed than fully throtttling and achieving bow up which causes excessive hull drag and engine striving unnecessarily along. Much more engine stress if heavily loaded.

Happy Boating
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Displacement Speed.JPG
Views:	226
Size:	68.7 KB
ID:	95198  
Old 02 June 2014, 19:05   #30

I didn't go for it. I'm still waiting for some photos from the guy before I make a decision.
Old 03 June 2014, 03:21   #31

So these are the pics the guy sent me:

Should I go fot it? I think I'll let this one pass and see if I can find what I really want.
Old 03 June 2014, 16:08   #32

So I think I finally found what I was looking for: a Mercury 6 hp 2 stroke. Still, I'm not too sure whether it's a short or long shaft. Could anyone help me with that?

Here are some photos:

To me it looks like a short shaft. If you guys can confirm it I recon this would be the perfect engine for my little sib. It's a 170 cc, right?
Old 03 June 2014, 16:22   #33

Yes, you found one

That is a short shaft, good engine as well. Keep it serviced, flushed and drained of fuel between uses and it will last forever

Its also possible to uprate that engine to an 8hp, but i'm not sure that the costs are worth it.
Old 03 June 2014, 16:38   #34

Since the 8 hp has the same specs, shouldn't a carb transformation be enough? Or it would also need some porting and better exhaust?
Old 03 June 2014, 19:08   #35

If posted engine has 2 small water deflector plates that protrude between middle and lower leg right before AV plate it's a L shaft. That 6 seems to be a rebadged old Yam model not the new current rebadged Tohatsu.

In Portugal who would you say has better tech support & spare parts availability Merc or Tohatsu ?

Happy Boating
Old 03 June 2014, 19:26   #36

I don't know for sure, but I would say Mercury since it's quite hard to find new Tohatsu engines for sale.
Old 03 June 2014, 20:37   #37

Tohatsu has not changed much their current models, some minor upgrades which are reflected on side letter next to its HP, are basically same engines up to date. Merc used to have a joint venture with Yamaha, al least some portables up to medium size engines were built for them. If you're not in a big hurry, check if a Tohatsu 6-8-9.8 chimes in.

Those mentioned models are much simplier and friendly to service and update than the posted Merc 6 HP. Some Mercs used to have a big issue, the cylinder head was not removable, was solid built to the crankcase, a hassle for piston/cylinder head decarbon, internal clean out of salted, clogged water passages around cylinder head, don't know about that current 6 though ?

Happy Boating
Old 03 June 2014, 20:52   #38

Are you asking me if I know if this is one of those Mercs? Cause I have absolutely no clue... hehe. Besides what was told me in this forum, I have absolutely no knowledge boat wise. :P

If that's the case, how does one change this piston rings?

In terms of service and maintenance, I intend to do everything on my own since I don't really trust big shops. Been this way with motorbikes and bikes these past times.
Old 15 June 2014, 02:23   #39

Haven't had any developments so far, which is a shame. But I am planning on getting an outboard by the end of the month.

I have had a slight change of plans and I'm probably taking my license next month. So now I am thinking about going bigger, up to 15 hp.

Any suggestions? I was thinking Tohatsu or Mercury 9.8 or 9.9 2 stroke.

Do you think that an older engine like this one is viable? I can get one really cheap...

Old 15 June 2014, 11:07   #40

I'm not a big fan of 70's Mercury's. Even when they were new they were not exactly reliable.40 years on, I wouldnt fancy my chances with one.

My dad had a Mercury 50 on the speedboat and a 4.5 on his sailing dinghy, I honestly dont remember a weekend when both of them were working

But I guess it depends how cheap it is, it could be a bargain. If you do buy one, dont forget to buy a truck load of Easy Start as well.