Old 24 October 2009, 14:28   #11
Town: slough
Boat name: not named yet
Make: Orkney Dory 4 metre
Length: 4m +
Engine: outboard evinrude 60
with the suzuki 25 its an easy upgrade to 30hp.
On that model the only difference is larger main jet, everything else is exactly the same.
So you have another 5hp on tap for just a small amount of money and very easy to change the jet.
Would give about 4mph extra top end and much better pull away.

phillnjack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 October 2009, 19:46   #12
Town: mexico
Make: avon
Engine: 15 hp mariner 2 s
Originally Posted by Geoff_Jubb View Post
Hi guys,
I have just got an Avon Sportsboat S4-60 with a Suzuki 25hp on a trailer. I am well pleased!
I started of wanting a sib that I could pack in my car, and keep in my yard, to fish off.
After buying my wood floored sib, I decided it was too much work to keep unpacking and inflating so started keeping it on top of a box trailer with a ramp to wheel it down. It started to give me a pain in the back whilst unloading and getting down the ramp, so I wanted a trailer that was much lower.
I also had a bad experiance with a PVC boat, so had decided if I ever got another boat it would have to be a hypalon.
So when I saw this not far from where I live I had to have it! Most seem to come up on the south coast and would mean a day off and a lot of miles with a unknown trailer.

There are a cople of issues with the boat, but nothing too serious (I hope). The keel has a puncture, and some one has "altered" the keel to accept a short shaft engine. Plus I probably paid over the odds.

The pictures:
1; The boat
2; "Paddles" that came with the boat, I think they are a snapped kayak paddle. Don't think there is a chance they would even move this boat. There is also a backwards facing attachment in this picture, there is one on each side on the bow, does anyone know what they are?
3; The doctored transom. How does this affect the boat? I guess its not good.
4; The engine, a 25hp Suzuki, 2 stroke. I have no idea about the engine but will ask about it in the engine section to find out the fuel mix etc.
5; How far the wheels are from the carpeted bunks. I think this is a problem but will post in the trailer section about it.

So, inflating it on the beach is a no no forever more. But I think the real plus' of sibs are fuel economy, ease of launch, ease of towing, ease of repair and ease of launching. So, even with its fault I am pleased.
One last question, when I launch, do I have to fully submerge the trailer and float the boat of, or can I "slide" the boat on and off?

Cheers for all your help!!!
About your question No.2 the backwards on the bow some day where to suport the red bow cover you will not need any more

mirssant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 October 2009, 03:01   #13
Town: Sunderland
Boat name: Sarah Louise
Make: Avon S4-60
Engine: 25 Mariner, 2.3 Merc
Thanks for the replies, I didn't realise this was my thread at first!
I am very interested in the upgrade if all that is reuired is the jet.
I have two 25's, and o ne has to go, so am trying to decide which one to sell. One has been serviced and is "a good runner", so now I think I will get the Suzuki serviced, and try and decide which one to sell. I am leaning towards keeping the Suzuki at the minute.

Geoff_Jubb is offline   Reply With Quote