Old 16 May 2016, 15:43   #11

Town: Bideford
Make: Bombard Aerotec
Length: 4m +
Quote:
Originally Posted by Landlockedpirate View Post
We occasionally used it without the trailer, but it was a pain, too heavy and awkward for 2 to carry uninflated, but fine with the genuine Zodiac transom wheels.

I honestly think its a bit big for what you want, what about a MK2C instead ?
Possibly, to be honest I'm probably going to stick with the aerotec for now, decision made. Mine is 2006 so theres life in it and a lot more to see and do on it. When the inevitable happens and the transom starts unglueing, that will be decision time. Ultimately we'd both like a westerly 35 yacht to sail off into the sunset but that is many boats and many years from now, barring a win on the lottery!

Old 16 May 2016, 15:48   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Landlockedpirate View Post
We occasionally used it without the trailer, but it was a pain, too heavy and awkward for 2 to carry uninflated, but fine with the genuine Zodiac transom wheels.

I honestly think its a bit big for what you want, what about a MK2C instead ?
Possibly, to be honest I'm probably going to stick with the aerotec for now, decision made. Mine is 2006 so theres life in it and a lot more to see and do on it. When the inevitable happens and the transom starts unglueing, that will be decision time. Ultimately we'd both like a westerly 35 yacht to sail off into the sunset but that is many boats and many years from now, barring a win on the lottery!

Old 16 May 2016, 16:01   #13

Town: East Anglia
Boat name: Nimrod II
Make: Aerotec 380
Length: 3m +
Engine: Suzuki DF20 EFI
>>> Ultimately we'd both like a westerly 35 yacht

Larger craft are in my early years history with the family but I've never been skipper... however Mrs Fenlander somewhat over estimates my remembered abilities in that area and reckons we should do similar. A plodder of a 32-35ft with bilge keels and a good engine she reckons and she wants to do a pensioners circumnavigation of the UK over a year or two.

Brilliant to have a Mrs that would back such a move but surprisingly I think I'd enjoy more circumnavigating in short hops by road/holiday cottage with the SIB in the back.... but you never know.

Another thing I fancy which I might throw up as an alternative is to trailer a Drascombe Coaster or similar about.
Old 17 May 2016, 11:02   #14

Town: S. Carolina
Boat name: D560
Make: Avon
Length: 5m +
Engine: 2016 Merc 115hp CT
Quote:
Originally Posted by office888 View Post
New style
Truncated tube, Futura ALU / FR=
all longshaft
Whoops, I made a mistake! The Futura MK2C is a shortshaft with the new style tubes.

MK2 + MK3 are longshaft.
Old 17 May 2016, 11:58   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fenlander View Post
>>> Ultimately we'd both like a westerly 35 yacht

Larger craft are in my early years history with the family but I've never been skipper... however Mrs Fenlander somewhat over estimates my remembered abilities in that area and reckons we should do similar. A plodder of a 32-35ft with bilge keels and a good engine she reckons and she wants to do a pensioners circumnavigation of the UK over a year or two.

Brilliant to have a Mrs that would back such a move but surprisingly I think I'd enjoy more circumnavigating in short hops by road/holiday cottage with the SIB in the back.... but you never know.

Another thing I fancy which I might throw up as an alternative is to trailer a Drascombe Coaster or similar about.
between us we've lived on boats almost as much as we've lived in houses. Bringing up a kid drove us onto dry land but we'll return to a life afloat at some stage.