Old 15 January 2009, 15:59   #11

Town: Lima-Peru
Boat name: Nautile
Make: Sea Rider Boats
Length: 4m +
Engine: Tohatsu 18 /30 HP
Quote:
Originally Posted by kelson View Post
Adding the line, pulley and cleat keeps those smart tabs up and out of the way when stationary. I don't think that they would tend to snag your bridle strap. The gas actuator compresses quite a bit and the tabs trailing edge is higher than the boat bottom when raised. It cost a little more to rig the smart tabs for beach/store use, but the addition is very convenient. Just let out the line when you are ready to motor off and pull it in before deploying your straps. The line and pulley don't need any adjustment while the boat is in normal use. The whole set up ran me about $200 US. The Doelfin required too much tilt adjustment, even with power tilt. Really nice labeled images of your motor mount plate modifications. Great attention to detail. I hope you will post some pics of the boat in use, would really like to see a little of where you boat in Peru... has me dreaming of adventure!
Hola Kelson

If you have time and a good digital camera would like to see real pictures of the way trim tab set up works on your sib, its kind of difficult to understand you the way you explain it in words, as for you, is a simple everyday matter. Completely new to trim tab configurations. The motor plate is perfect aligned, as it should have been, tomarrow is D day. Besides great attention to perfect details, I'm a real maniac of boating perfection! Will post some pics from week end. Thanks.

Happy Sibbing

Old 16 January 2009, 12:00   #12

Town: San Diego
Make: zodiac futura mk2
Engine: Nissan 40 plus
Locozodiac,
It is always hard to check out equipment when you can't turn it over in your hands! I think what may be confusing to you is the actual method of operation for a smart tab. The line and pulley arrangement is not necessary for the underway use at all. Many solid hull boats use them and never need to take them up so they don't add the line and pulley arrangement at all. At low speeds the gas actuator holds the tabs in their lowered position. As you speed up the gas actuator compresses and the tab raises. As you motor along you can look over the transom and see the tabs automatically adjusting to the pressure of the water flow and surface conditions. Even with my boat weighted properly there is a big difference in handling and bow rise when the tabs are in use. If I forget to release the tabs it is instantly apparent when I move the boat on the water.

The line, pulley and cleat are only used to raise the tab when beaching or loading. It is an add on set up that does not come in the smart tab package. The tabs are also not that large. I don't think you would have much problem sliding your sling under the boat and avoiding the raised tabs, but that is for you to decide! I don't want to sound like an ad for Nautica, but the smart tabs are great on smaller vessels. Powered tabs are too complicated and require the operator to adjust them as conditions or speed changes. The Doelfin required me to make tilt changes a lot too. The smart tabs do a great job of automatically adjusting. The way you choose to set up the actuator on the tab plate changes the amount of resistance from the gas actuator, so you can adjust the amount of pressure it takes to move the tab plate up to fit your needs. Once the actuator is installed it is all automatic. Just to be clear, the pulley and line are not used to adjust the tabs position while underway. I hope my description helps. I am also attaching a few pics of the tabs.
The first picture is looking down on the tab.

The second image is of the tab in it's downward position. The line and pulley are not under tension at all. Movement of the tab in the water would be up and down with changes in pressure on the tab.

The third image shows the tab in the up position. The line and pulley arrangement have been pulled tight and the gas actuator is compressed. The tab will stay in this position until the line is released from the cleat.

If this still isn't clear, no stress. Let me know and I'll give it another try.

Old 16 January 2009, 18:44   #13

Hola Kelson

Plainly understand how Nauticus trim tab works, didn't understand the way you hold the small rope to compress the gas actuator, one photo better than one thousand words, got the idea clear, can you post close-up photos of the way the pulley is atached to the gas actuator, and to what boat part is the rope secured to ?

The second test was much better than last one, driver was in sib middle, copilot mate passing bow front seat, after gas tank, still a very small water swirling on end cones, tried 3rd hole out transom, perfect, this is the hole if panning to use the sib with just 2 mates, will need a tiller extension, tried 2 plastic ones, horrible and dangerous as they tend to bend to much, are the trolling type, no good for speeding.

Will order a original Tohatsu tiller extension, much better crafted, the sib/engine configuration marked 24.8 knots on a 1/2 kilometer wot run under flat and perfect sea conditions. I think it's a nice speed for a sib with just a 18 HP engine.

Happy Sibbing
Old 17 January 2009, 12:31   #14

Town: San Diego
Make: zodiac futura mk2
Engine: Nissan 40 plus
Happy to provide more specific information. The first picture shows the pulley attachment to the tab bracket from the front. The second image is from the side. The pulley is attached by a d ring and I stretched some yellow rubber tape around the d ring to keep it from rattling.

The third image is of the v cleat where I bolted it to the back of my transom. You can see the fixed line end passes through the cleat body and is knotted. My transom tilts back at an angle. I was worried that placing the cleat on the transom back would make the angle on the line from the pulley pop the line out of the cleat. I thought about adding a wedge under the cleat, but the angle on the line has not been an issue at all.

Twenty four knots with an 18 hp sounds great to me. Wish I was going out today. Off to my Mother in laws house... oh well. Post more pics!
Old 18 January 2009, 16:34   #15

Going fo a Tiller Extension

Kelson,

Thanks for the close-up pics, now have the idea how they are fixed to Nauticus trim tabs, would like to test a original Tohatsu tiller extension, you have 2 models: 0.8 & 1.0 mt. lenght sizes, waiting for a price quote, definitely a lot cheaper and much easier to install than trim tabs.

We are beginning 2009 summer, wanted to have the sig/engine configuration at it's best, so a fine advance & carb timing has been made to have a fast throttle response, made a 30 nautical mile round cruise at 3/4 throttle to Palomino Islands, home island of hundreds of sea lions. The 380 performed wonderful with the new factory & worshop tech updates, had a exciting day cruising and snorkeling with very friendly sea lions. Seems they are pleased and very curious to be visited by strangers in colorful boats. Some pics to share.

Happy Sibbing
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Palomino-1.JPG
Views:	145
Size:	68.7 KB
ID:	40030   Click image for larger version

Name:	Palomino-2.JPG
Views:	110
Size:	76.1 KB
ID:	40031   Click image for larger version

Name:	Palomino-3.JPG