Old 14 July 2012, 23:56   #1

Lifting outboards to avoid back injury ?

Hi,

I am unable to lift a heavy weight after a previous back injury which resulted in surgery. I am looking at buying a Yamaha 15 hp 2 stroke which is 36 kg.

The problem would be lifting the outboard from the inflatable. Bending forward whist lifting the outboard and turning is a big NO NO for anyone as it puts massive strain on your discs.

I noticed you can buy an outboard lifting harness, so I could pull the engine upright, and then attach it to a trolley.

Getting the trolley to my trailer would be easy, and so I could avoid any damage to my back. Getting the outboard onto the boat is fine, as it would not need to be lifted.

Has anyone else had this problem, and if so what are the best trolleys etc for the job.

Sean - Australia
Old 15 July 2012, 08:16   #2

Town: Cambridgeshire
Boat name: Nimrod II
Make: Aerotec 380
Length: 3m +
Engine: Yam 15 Tohatsu 9.8
Sean my back has the potential to give problems so I take care in planning what weight I'll lift and how I do so. I have a Mariner 15 weighing the same as the Yamaha you mention. I arrange my launch sites so I can assemble the inflatable next to the car and fit the transom wheels. I put the transom about 6ft from the back of the car and it's an easy lift to pop the outboard on. Then it's no trouble to wheel the boat to the water with the transom wheels doing the job of a trolley. Same thing in reverse at the end of the day.

I have an outboard trolley for garage storage and with outboards being top heavy it's only really stable on a level floor.

Are you lifting your outboard off the boat while it's in the water?
Old 15 July 2012, 08:46   #3

Hi,

Thanks for the info. I still want to buy a boat. I used to have a 17 ft fiberglass boat which was very heavy to pull and use. This will be to have fun with my 2 boys. 6 and 9 years old. We love to camp and so the Zodiac fastroller looked good. I want it to last, and will look after it well.

Sean