Old 18 January 2016, 22:07   #1

Town: WAterford
Boat name: na
Make: Rimini
Length: 5m +
Engine: dt85
Let me Introduce you to My new AVON 4.2 ???

So I picked up this boat and well she needs a good bit of work however for the most part you could throw it on the water and be grand. It has two slow leaks that I have found will be patching those this week. The main problem is one of the baffles is gone. So its a two chamber boat now how do you guys feel about this? I have been looking into some inflatable bladders and I don't think it would be the worst of ideas. The boat cost me 140 euros so I am not really much into it at all. Have you guys tried the Henshaw Emergency bladder? Just curious I like the idea just don't wanna spend the money if its not going to work well. Check it out in the link

Henshaw Bladder

Also I will be replacing the floor because the rear sections are missing. I am just trying to figure out what model of boat it is because the plate is missing. All I know is its a AVON SPORT BOAT. I really do enjoy the work of making something that was well not worth much back into something useful so not worried about doing work its better then watching Netflix. I have done a ton of searches for the avon floors I just dont know what exact boat I have.

By the way the last picture is about my other question
I am patching all the small areas that seem like they could be trouble in the future i.e scuffs and cuts and wear areas. Do you guys think its a bad Idea to do 18 patches in one go. None of these on the floor will have any tension on them or pressure behind them. Also just so you know they are not blue that's just the other side of the Fabric. I Got the blue as off cuts from a rib repair place. The inside of the blue matches my boat perfectly so once I glue them they will be turned around, Just that way so you can see the patches.

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_5922.jpg
Views:	333
Size:	116.9 KB
ID:	110408   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_5924.jpg
Views:	284
Size:	110.8 KB
ID:	110409   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_5940.jpg
Views:	299
Size:	86.1 KB
ID:	110410   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_5947.jpg
Views:	295
Size:	111.0 KB
ID:	110411  
Old 19 January 2016, 11:59   #2

Town: Connecticut
Make: Zodiac
Length: 6m +
Engine: Undecided
bladders

By the looks of the ad for those bladders they are designed to assist with a leaking or severely damaged chamber. You would end up with a chamber within a chamber. Unfortunately you are kind of stuck with either a two chamber boat or having it fixed which is gonna cost a lot more than it s probably worth investing.
Old 19 January 2016, 12:30   #3

Town: S. Carolina
Boat name: D560
Make: Avon
Engine: 2016 Merc 115hp CT
3 comments:
1.) Go get an estimate to have the baffle fixed? There are many competent shops throughout all of the UK...not too sure about Ireland though.

2.) The minimum gluing overlap is 100mm...your "button" patches look too small.

3.) The blue side is the "hypalon" side. The back gray side is the "neoprene" side...neoprene is very soft and has poor UV resistance.
office888 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 January 2016, 14:13   #4

Yeah as I was explaining they are just to cover small wear areas they are not leaks they will be on the bottom of the floor so won't see the light of day. Boat was 140 euros so not gonna bother paying to get it fixed. Already talked to a guy about fixing it he turned me on to the emergency tubes. My plan is to Install it and use it if I get a puncture in the one side of the boat. Will get me by if I ever have a bad puncture and will actually be safer having it for emergency.
Old 19 January 2016, 21:27   #5

Town: Frome
Length: no boat
Those patches on the bottom are fine to do all at once, where possible though group them under 1 larger patch, I can't really see much as my phone won't let me zoom in on photos

The bladder is a good idea if you aren't wanting to go down the route of repairing, and you could always ask henshaws for some grey material too you might get lucky
Old 19 January 2016, 22:14   #6

Have any of you done a baffle repair do you think it's worth trying? There is already a big patch where the valve and baffle would be, do you think it would be worthwhile to reopen it just to have a look at it. Or is a patch that size not fun to redo. They cut it open I believe one time to replace the valves. So I could use that hole and try to repair it however when pumping it up it is like there is no baffle there.
Old 20 January 2016, 12:08   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by idsebby View Post
Have any of you done a baffle repair do you think it's worth trying? There is already a big patch where the valve and baffle would be, do you think it would be worthwhile to reopen it just to have a look at it. Or is a patch that size not fun to redo. They cut it open I believe one time to replace the valves. So I could use that hole and try to repair it however when pumping it up it is like there is no baffle there.
http://www.rib.net/forum/f50/inspect...470-70502.html

Check this thread if you're curious what you're in for.
Old 20 January 2016, 22:56   #8

Yeah I checked the baffle I knew it was bad when I bought it. I just am a sucker for a good deal gosh when will I ever learn!
Anyway I still really like the boat the material for how old it is is brilliant. I am getting a sheet of 5 mil aluminum to make my floor out of. Kind of over kill I know but it's gonna cost me the same as marine ply so why not.

Would you guys say this is an s400 even though it's nearly 4.3 meters?
Old 22 January 2016, 12:50   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by idsebby View Post
Yeah I checked the baffle I knew it was bad when I bought it. I just am a sucker for a good deal gosh when will I ever learn!
Anyway I still really like the boat the material for how old it is is brilliant. I am getting a sheet of 5 mil aluminum to make my floor out of. Kind of over kill I know but it's gonna cost me the same as marine ply so why not.

Would you guys say this is an s400 even though it's nearly 4.3 meters?
Examine the thread... you can see what the baffles look like from the inside. I will also be posting pictures of the repair process once I receive the proper "tooling".

Attached is the specifications for the 1978 Avon S-series boats. Hopefully it helps you?

Tags
avon