Old 17 February 2010, 00:19   #1

Town: Camarillo, Ca
Boat name: Plan B
Make: Achilles
Length: 4m +
Engine: Outboard 30hp
Latest Find - Achilles SU18

Well after tooling around on my old 14' Achilles, I became hooked on the SIBs. The only problem with the 14 footer was that it was a 14 footer...tot small. My buddy said that his dad was selling his Achilles and I should check it out. Here was the boat I was looking for:
1989 Achilles 18 footer, 40 hp and console steering. I was pretty stoked! Then I found out that he only wanted 2500 bucks for it, Trailer and everything. This was his boat for his place in Baja California. He bought it new and ran it about 3 times a year. It has been sitting for the last 3 years. There are no patches and it holds air great. It surely needs to be cleaned up, but that will just require some "elbow grease". I'm thinking that most of the oxidation should rub out of the rubber with compound. Tomorrow, I'll take it in to the mechanic to have the engine looked over and the carb cleaned. Tell me what you think. Here are some pics:
Matt
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMAG0010-1.jpg
Views:	472
Size:	44.0 KB
ID:	49209   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMAG0011-1.jpg
Views:	517
Size:	55.2 KB
ID:	49210   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMAG0012-1.jpg
Views:	454
Size:	56.0 KB
ID:	49211   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMAG0009.jpg
Views:	511
Size:	62.2 KB
ID:	49212  
Old 17 February 2010, 05:32   #2

Town: Oakland CA
Length: 3m +
Congrats on the acquisition;

What are you planning on doing with the boat? A 40 might be a bit small if you are, for instance, considering loading it up with divers and heading out to Anacapa or someplace.

Should be fine for a few people though.

jky
Old 17 February 2010, 05:46   #3

Town: Camarillo, Ca
Boat name: Plan B
Make: Achilles
Length: 4m +
Engine: Outboard 30hp
Yeah, it's not an island boat....yet. I figure I'll have to save up a bit to rig it for island travel. I'm thinking dual 40's should do the trick...Assuming they fit. For the time being it'll be used for inshore fishing, diving and cruising. I'll probably be hitting some of the lakes in the spring.
-Matt
Old 17 February 2010, 20:49   #4

Town: Rhode Island
Make: avon
Length: 6m +
Engine: 90hp merc
the achilles are truly excellent boats. that is a great deal for that boat. I had a su16 and loved it. the 40hp may be just fine for you. good luck with your purchase
Old 21 February 2010, 11:51   #5

Town: gravesend
Boat name: curach/Earl
Make: seago/Lifeguard 4M
Length: under 3m
Engine: 3.3 marinar/10 hp
Quote:
Originally Posted by mmgarrett View Post
Well after tooling around on my old 14' Achilles, I became hooked on the SIBs. The only problem with the 14 footer was that it was a 14 footer...tot small. My buddy said that his dad was selling his Achilles and I should check it out. Here was the boat I was looking for:
1989 Achilles 18 footer, 40 hp and console steering. I was pretty stoked! Then I found out that he only wanted 2500 bucks for it, Trailer and everything. This was his boat for his place in Baja California. He bought it new and ran it about 3 times a year. It has been sitting for the last 3 years. There are no patches and it holds air great. It surely needs to be cleaned up, but that will just require some "elbow grease". I'm thinking that most of the oxidation should rub out of the rubber with compound. Tomorrow, I'll take it in to the mechanic to have the engine looked over and the carb cleaned. Tell me what you think. Here are some pics:
Matt
What a cracking boat there ,loverly set up