Old 28 August 2001, 15:08   #11

Town: Highlands
Boat name: Quicksilver
Make: Quicksilver
Length: 3m +
Engine: Mariner 15hp
Hi Jari

I just knew there were more of us than people admit! Remember it's not the size that counts it's what you do with it.

I would guess that your coastline is simmilar to that up in the Scottish Highlands. It really is good for exploring.

My Quicksilver has an inflatable keel, does your Zodiac? I'm told that it makes a great deal of difference to the handling.

Right SIB it is then. At least the two of us can keep the voice of the SIBsters alive and well.

Any more of us out there?

Regards
Keith Hart

PS any chance of a picture of your Zodiac Jari?

Old 29 August 2001, 15:10   #12

Town: Karlstad
Make: Viking
Length: 5.4
Engine: Mercury 90
Send a message via ICQ to sasa
My, my, this thread is getting bigger and bigger.

I'm not a SIBster, but I know a lot of them! I am a member of Scandinavian Inflatable Boat Association (our chairman actually minted the term SIB) and I can tell you that some 50% of all members have inflatables just as yours and Jari's.

And they don't let the size put them off. They do take part in all our cruises, and sometimes they are the only ones to show up with the big RIBs hiding somewhere

I talked to some of the members and they said they would never change their inflatables. They are not interested in cruising in extreme weather conditions, so they don't need big RIBs. And there is nothing better than an inflatable for exploring the coastline. Some of them also regularly go to the Med and cruise in Greece, Italy and Croatia.

I enclose a picture from our cruise on the Lake Vänern. The boat in the foreground is a small RIB built by Maestral in Croatia that somehow found its way to Sweden. The boat in the background is the (probably) oldest boat in the club. A Wiking Komet from 1964! This boat has seen more water than I can ever hope to see. At this time it is cruising somewhere in Greece!
Both of these boats performed very well during the whole cruise.

So you see - no need to worry. There are many others who prefer smaller inflatables. And I'm glad for that.

Sasa
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	2_11a.jpg
Views:	335
Size:	32.4 KB
ID:	65  

Old 31 August 2001, 03:57   #13

Town: ATHENS
Boat name: SUN KISS II
Make: Nuova Bat 9 Falcon -
Length: 5m +
Engine: Outboard Mercury 115
Send a message via Skype™ to batfalcon
Former SIBster

I used to have a SIB some 15 years ago. A Bombard B3S with a Yamaha 30. The cruises that I' ve made with that boat were SOMETHING ELSE. Maybe it's because I was 15 years younger and I could afford more than I (and my wife), do now. As the song says...." Those were the days my friend....."

Michael.
Old 31 August 2001, 15:56   #14

An invite to all the little ones.

I am up in the Highlands from the 22nd September for 7 days. Depending on the weather I shall be taking the boat over to the West Coast and also using it on the Moray and Cromarty Firths. If any one out there wants to meet up for a bit of exploring the coastline then please contact me through my e-mail. I've never done it with others before!

Keith Hart
Old 31 August 2001, 16:19   #15

Town: Athens
Boat name: Sofia - Konstantina
Make: Wave
Length: 5
Engine: Outboard 2-stroke 115 Mercury
Hi all,

Althouth I own a 5M RIB I kept my old 3.8 M Bombard Tropik (SIB) with a 9.9 Johnson Outboard. I can't even dream of selling it .

I am still using it occationally and I really enjoy it. The feeling of being as close to the sea as posible is second to none, not to mention the feeling of achievement when I do short crossings in
the range of 5 to 10 miles.

I am sure that using it within its specification will give you plenty of happy hours.

Regards

Dimitris
Old 04 September 2001, 02:12   #16

Hi there

I started this thread with a question, which has certainly been answered. I am very pleased with this because these discussions have given me more confidence to make full use of my small boat and also a lot of very useful advice. It has also given me some written evidence, in the form of various replies, to enable me to persuade the Boss (my wife) that I should spend some of the family cash on a hand held GPS.

It aslo seems to have encouraged those other smaller boat owners (the boats that is not the owners) to raise their voices!

Thanks, keep up the good work.

Keith Hart
Old 04 September 2001, 03:29   #17

Keith,

Does the boss know that you are having these conversations, or must we find somewhere to hide ? I don't want to be hunted by the boss with a frying pan in her hands !!!
Old 11 September 2001, 06:57   #18

So there I am looking at 'Soundings on Line' and up comes an article about 'exploring in a small boat'. Great I think, so I take a look. SMALL! If that's what thay call small in the USA, then what do they call my boat? Microscopic? Take a look:
http://www.soundingsonline.com/current.story/1464.html

Keith Hart

www.photo4x4.co.uk
Keith Hart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 September 2001, 12:05   #19

Talking of small boats!!!!

My engine is 15hp. Small, yes. BUT the boat is an inflatable and has an inflatable floor as well (airdeck) so it is very light, 50 kilos.

This gives a power/weight ratio of 1hp to 3.3 kilos (unladen). I must say that it planes easily and it does go along at a fair rate of knots (whatever they are!!! - see 'Confusing Isn't It?).

How does this power/weight ratio compare to the large ribs?

Keith Hart
Member SBS (Small Boat Section)

www.photo4x4.co.uk
Keith Hart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 September 2001, 01:52   #20

Keith Hart,

It is an interesting point of view this kg/hp ratio. I am not aware of such a ratio be used on ribs. But the numerator of this fraction must include both the weights of the boat and the engine.

Anybody knows better on this ?

batfalcon is offline   Reply With Quote