Old 03 July 2008, 21:14   #1

Town: telford
Make: shakespeare
Length: 6m +
Engine: 150 optimax
inflatable keel?

the hole for the keel valve in our avon sib is not central in the floorboard and thus it pushes the keel over to one side of the boat when the keel is inflated, this doesnt seem right?
should i make a new hole to centralise the keel?
Old 03 July 2008, 22:14   #2

Town: yorkshire
Boat name: little vicky
Make: avon ex RNLI
Length: 3m +
Engine: tohatsu
is it possible for the keel to not be in the right position when you start to inflate it or has the keel attachment come off at one side and when it inflates it pulls it over to one side ,whats it look like when the keel is inflated without the board or could someone have made a new board and they havent got the hole centre ,if its not too far off i would make the existing hole a bit larger . though on some boats the boards can be a sloppy fit anyhow and can throw the hole and valve out by a good few inches if the board is on one side more than the other when you start to inflate ,
Old 04 July 2008, 19:46   #3

Town: swansea
Boat name: Too Blue
Make: BLANK
Length: 8m +
Engine: Suzuki DT225
On my Quicksilver this often happens. You have to push and poke the thing until it's in the correct position and look underneath to make sure it looks right!!!
Old 04 July 2008, 20:51   #4

if you inflate the keel without the floor in place the keel is perfectly on the centreline of the boat with the keel valve sitting right in the middle of and right on the very top of the keel ie on the centreline of the boat,
the hole in the floorboard to access the keel valve is about six inches to the left of the centreline of the boat so that when you place the boards in and locate the valve in the hole the keel is pulled across to the left and when inflated with the boards in place the keel is being pulled out of shape, i am almost certain it is not right i just wanted a second opinion, thanks for the help so far,
Old 04 July 2008, 21:49   #5

Boat name: Angel-B
Make: Ex Y boat
Length: 3m +
Engine: Suzuki 9.9HP
Quote:
Originally Posted by markg View Post
if you inflate the keel without the floor in place the keel is perfectly on the centreline of the boat with the keel valve sitting right in the middle of and right on the very top of the keel ie on the centreline of the boat,
the hole in the floorboard to access the keel valve is about six inches to the left of the centreline of the boat so that when you place the boards in and locate the valve in the hole the keel is pulled across to the left and when inflated with the boards in place the keel is being pulled out of shape, i am almost certain it is not right i just wanted a second opinion, thanks for the help so far,
Certainly does not sound right. Which Avon SIB is it? Can you post a picture of the floorboard - this is mine, the keel valve is accessed through the central hole.

Cheers

Chris
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Dscf0100.jpg
Views:	268
Size:	116.0 KB
ID:	36120  
Old 05 July 2008, 18:16   #6

thats perfect, thanks chris, my valve hole would be about six inches to the left of yours, i shall get the hole saws out and make a new one, its a 5m avon early 90s i think, i am just rigging it up, i have a mariner 30 for it and am in the process of building a trailer for it the chassis is done i just need to fit mudguards and bunks to it
thanks for your help