Town: Vermilion, Ohio
Boat name: Red Leppelin
Make: Achilles
Length: 4m +
Engine: none...yet
MMSI: What's that?
How to install a steering cable

Hey Everyone,

Can any of you direct me to a website for written instructions or a video detailing how to run a steering cable from the helm to the motor? I am not sure if it should run on top of the tube and be secured somehow along the way or run down along the bottom of the tube and tucked away between that and the floor. I need to know how to secure it there. I am not certain how it is secured if it is runs along the top either. Sibbing is all new to me. In fact, so is owning an outboard. The two fiberglass ones I had were I/O.
Thanks
Old 02 September 2011, 06:41   #2

Town: NorCal
Boat name: SHARKY
Make: AB
Engine: Honda BF75 & BF5
Google might be able to help. We would need more info to go on. What kind of helm? Length of boat? Hard or inflatable bottom? Motor size? Along with any other pertinent info you can offer.

Old 02 September 2011, 08:55   #3

Thanks for the reply. I really appreciate it. I haven't decided on a helm. I am pretty sure I will go with the metal pipe type helm by Boats To Go. It is simple, not too god-awful expensive, and doesn't take up much room. The boat is a 13ft(3.96m). I am not so sure about a motor. It could be an Evinrude, Mercury, or Force. I am not sure about the Force. They are cheap around where I live, which makes me wonder about them. I am waiting fo a machanic friend of a friend to return a call to talk to me about them. I want to strap on something between a 40hp and 50hp. Very likely a 40hp 2-stroke
I see alot of people on this site uses Tohatsu. Why is that. Does it have something to do with costs in Europe? I suppose they are reliable if so many use them.
Old 02 September 2011, 20:16   #4

Town: NorCal
Boat name: SHARKY
Make: AB
Engine: Honda BF75 & BF5
How many passengers do you plan to carry? Cargo? The reason I ask is that a tiller steering setup doesn't take up any room, where as a bench seat and steering wheel will take up most of the boat. Personally for me a tiller works better since space is a huge issue in my 14 footer.

Tohatsu's are a very common motor, and if I understand correctly are made by Nissan. I would rethink the two stroke and look to a four stroke. More lakes will be banning two strokes in the future plus they stink and sometimes leave an oil sheen on the water. Trust me I wish I had a four stroke.

The cost sure goes up with a helm too. The thought of the one that doesn't go across the boat is more appealing to me. Again space is an issue on a tiny SIB.

http://portland.craigslist.org/mlt/boa/2570397275.html
http://www.defender.com/product.jsp?...189&id=1451500
http://marineconsignment.com/boat-pa...ng-system.html
Old 02 September 2011, 22:32   #5

Hey, I appreciate the heads-up on the UFlex. I am going to call the guy. That is a good deal. Most of the time it will be me and one passenger. On occasion three will be in the boat.
For the most part all the gear that will be in the boat is a few fishing
poles, tackle, ice chest and a fold down bench seat. I have considered a four-stroke. Christ are they expensive! If I can find a good deal I'll buy one, otherwise, I'll wait until the U.S. Government tells me I have to, which will very likely not happen before I die. I understand the environmental implications of 2-strokes.
Especially how quiet they are too. But when funds are limited one must make due with the hand that is given.