Old 21 November 2014, 10:34   #1

Town: Dorset
Length: no boat
How big for one person to handle?

Hi All,

I will mostly fish on my own, but occasionally will take my two sons out (lanky teenagers) out with me.
So my question is what size boat would suit? I currently have a sailing boat which i am getting rid of because of excessive boatyard fees, and i don't have a drive. Both of these rule out a trailer - this will need to go in the boot of my largish estate (Zafira).
I quite like the look/price of the T35-T40 Honwaves and they are in my price range if i stuck with the 5hp engine i already have (no strong tides around here and i wouldn't be fishing far from shore). However, i don't know what i could reasonably handle - for example, is the T40 manageable with the boards taken out?

Any advice very welcome.

James
Old 21 November 2014, 10:48   #2

Town: Borsbeek/Antwerp
Make: Yamaha DS360 (2014)
Length: 3m +
Engine: Suzuki DF15 outboard
I personally have a suzumar 360DS 3,6m) even with the engine (Suzuki 15hp 4stroke) mounted easy to handle on my own.
I bought a sort of beach trailer i can completely disassemble and put in the back of my Peugeot 5008 (same type of car) no problem.

Here's the post i made on the trailer.

http://www.rib.net/forum/showpost.php?p=655363
Old 21 November 2014, 11:00   #3

Town: Sticks, N.Yorks
Boat name: Tamanco
Make: Honwave 3.5AE
Engine: Tohatsu Outboard
I have a Honwave 3.5 AE with a 20 hp Tohatsu 4 stroke (50kg +) and with the launch wheels on no problem on my own but I wouldn't want to drag it a long way on soft sand.Click image for larger version

Name:	009.jpg
Views:	784
Size:	133.8 KB
ID:	100916
Old 21 November 2014, 11:11   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by paddlers View Post
I have a Honwave 3.5 AE with a 20 hp Tohatsu 4 stroke (50kg +) and with the launch wheels on no problem on my own but I wouldn't want to drag it a long way on soft sand.Attachment 100916
Magic, that's exactly what i was thinking about. Is it a struggle loading and unloading into your car?
I like the self launching device in the background. Even comes with a saddle!
Old 21 November 2014, 11:12   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baetske View Post
I personally have a suzumar 360DS 3,6m) even with the engine (Suzuki 15hp 4stroke) mounted easy to handle on my own.
I bought a sort of beach trailer i can completely disassemble and put in the back of my Peugeot 5008 (same type of car) no problem.

Here's the post i made on the trailer.

RIBnet Forums - View Single Post - cheap beach trailer
Thanks - that's something i hadn't thought of but makes a lot of sense.
Old 21 November 2014, 11:53   #6

Town: Borsbeek/Antwerp
Make: Yamaha DS360 (2014)
Engine: Suzuki DF15 outboard
You could even fit it with a nose wheel so no lifting needed to launch.
Old 21 November 2014, 12:22   #7

Boat name: Wildheart
Make: Humber/Delta Seasafe
Length: 5m +
Engine: Merc 60 Clamshell
MMSI: 235068449
Other alternative (although I don't know your stature / health etc) is I carry a 3.2 sib (wooden floor board type) fully inflated hull only on my back like a turtle shell -

Inflate it, then walk it vertical (so it's standing on it's cone tips).
Walk oround to the inside, (keeping hold of it!)
then put your back against the floorboards, and crouch down to grab the top of the transom with your hands.
Then stand, let it tip forward (slightly) to balance, & waklk to the water's edge.

It's a bit (!) more fun in the wind, but with a bit of practice all bar a sudden unexpected huge gust is surprisingly managable.

Then go back for the engine, fuel, etc.
Old 21 November 2014, 12:50   #8

Town: Burnley
Make: Excel
Length: under 3m
Engine: Outboard petrol 5HP
How big for one person to handle?

Sorry that its long winded but i have included everything i looked at.

I am 70 years of age and have been through the selection process as you are doing. I have a motorhome with a small garage at the back. I needed to be able to handle it on my own without any assistance as I go up to Scotland every few weeks or so.
Firstly i selected the lightest inflatable i could find which would be suitable for inshore sea (category C) use, lochs and lakes. It was important that i could transport each item individually to waters edge
Firstly, I decided on an excel SL260 (2.6 meters) at 21 KG, easy to lift, inflate and deflate.(now the lightest ones are 3D fromSeamark Nunn)
Secondly i decided on a Vector 4 stroke 5hp which weighs in at about 22KG
Thirdly the 12L external tank and hose (quite heavy when full but needed for distance)
Fourthly, bits and bobs, anchor, chain, fishing box, seat bag for keeping clothing, lifejacket etc which mount up.
Initially i put the lightweight transom wheels that fix to the transom plates but they were ripped off when going over pebbles and rocks so i changed it for a manual launching trolley, mild steel weight 23KG

As you can see the weight became a major consideration, here is my list...
Weights etc.
Boat 19kg / Bag + contents 8kg Total 27kg = 49 lb / Petrol set up- Engine 22kg + Tank full 10kg = 32kg = 59 lb.
Trolley 1 steel 22kg = 41lb Total weight 149lb, set up time including inflating 1 hr 30min

Because of my age, mobility and the messing about with petrol required every trip i decided to change for a lighter more convenient set up.

Torqeedo 1003S (equivalent to 3hp petrol. Range 16 miles, not to be confused with "thrust type) Electric drive 10kg + battery 4.5kg + tiller .5kg = 10kg = 18.5 lb / Trolley aluminium = 10 kg = 19lb / Boat, Bag + contents = 27Kg = 49lb
Total weight 86.5lb / Set up time 30-35 minutes

I reduced set up time from 1 hour 30 minutes to 30 minutes
I reduced weight from 149 lbs 86lbs

The Torqeedo is expensive but what a massive difference it makes, clean, breaks down to 3 parts with internal battery, charges from mains.
The aluminium trolley breaks into 2 lightweight parts and wheels
The inflatable fits into a small family car if required. If you decide to go for a 3.1meter it will increase weight to 70lb + and will require a bigger car.

Good luck, apologies for it being lengthy

My initial set up
Old 21 November 2014, 12:51   #9

Town: England
Boat name: boat
Make: Zodiac Cadet340Activ
Engine: 15hp Mariner
I have a 2009 Zodiac 340 Acti-V with 15hp Mariner & lots of add on accesories, very easy to store & will easily get up on the plane with two adults & two children. Drop down Trem transom wheels included so moving and launching single handed is easy.

I have used it a couple of times for fishing & simply drape a tarpaulin on the floor & over the top of the side tube just to ensure nothing gets marked or stained.

Were in the process of buying a selection of Kayaks as our main requirement for being on the water is close to shore & rivers so the Kayaks will hopefully offer more participation from all the family.

I was going to wait untill summer to advertise mine but you are welcome to take a look if interested.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	10170944_659053507465976_2312507454762856951_n.jpg
Views:	307
Size:	103.8 KB
ID:	100917   Click image for larger version

Name:	10150806_659053374132656_3697102316455263653_n.jpg
Views:	292
Size:	83.9 KB
ID:	100918  
Old 21 November 2014, 16:22   #10

Name:	043.jpg
Views:	685
Size:	160.7 KB
ID:	100921Built a set of wheels so that we can drag it if the tides out ( 120m) when we're away on holiday.The lads like a workout..

The Honwave launch wheels are good quality.[ATTACH]Click image for larger version

Name:	025.jpg
Views:	992
Size:	210.9 KB
ID:	100922[/ATTACH]
Old 21 November 2014, 19:57   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by T4bus View Post
I have a 2009 Zodiac 340 Acti-V with 15hp Mariner & lots of add on accesories, very easy to store & will easily get up on the plane with two adults & two children. Drop down Trem transom wheels included so moving and launching single handed is easy.

I have used it a couple of times for fishing & simply drape a tarpaulin on the floor & over the top of the side tube just to ensure nothing gets marked or stained.

Were in the process of buying a selection of Kayaks as our main requirement for being on the water is close to shore & rivers so the Kayaks will hopefully offer more participation from all the family.

I was going to wait untill summer to advertise mine but you are welcome to take a look if interested.
That's a very nice outfit.
I'd be sorely tempted were it not for the fact that i need to sell my Drascombe sailing boat first!
Old 21 November 2014, 22:52   #12

Town: Cambridgeshire
Boat name: Nimrod II
Make: Aerotec 380
Engine: Yam 15 Tohatsu 9.8
Jimbo. Have you read my review of our "new to us outfit"... the same Zodiac as T4Bus has?

http://www.rib.net/forum/f50/zodiac-...iew-64881.html

Ours is 5yrs older than his with pointy cones but the same 340 model. Our 15hp Mercury outboard, as you may know, is exactly the same but with a black hood and Mercury decals.

We've had slightly larger inflatables, heavier inflatables, smaller and lighter inflatables but after a few years of swapping about the need for easy portability has led us back to this combo.

BTW which Drascombe? We came so so close to buying a Scaffie about 25yrs ago but ended up with a Coble type cuddy fishing boat with outboard. Then more recently a Coaster (I think) with small cuddy lying on the marshes attracted us to its for sale sign but having moved away from a trailed boat I resisted... just... but the Mrs was keen.
Old 21 November 2014, 23:05   #13

Town: England
Boat name: boat
Make: Zodiac Cadet340Activ
Engine: 15hp Mariner

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimbo747 View Post
That's a very nice outfit.
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimbo747 View Post

I'd be sorely tempted were it not for the fact that i need to sell myDrascombe sailing boat first!

Aside from dropping on here for a read & seeing your interest in anoutfit, our Zodiac isn't advertised anywhere & is not likely to be untilthe summer, so it may well still be around for some time.

My motor is not winterised, I simply start it every few weeks & run itup so if you’re feeling brave & fancy popping up a county, your welcome totry ours up the river to see if this type of boat would suit you, would be agood excuse for me to get it out too For us it's just a little noisy& for those not on the tiller it gets a bit sedentary after a couple hours

I get what you’re saying about the convenience of putting it in the boot etc.but living so close to the coast I'd seriously consider finding some storagefor a Rib.
Old 21 November 2014, 23:22   #14

Town: Cambridgeshire
Boat name: Nimrod II
Make: Aerotec 380
Engine: Yam 15 Tohatsu 9.8
Jimbo. Another point to pick up on... you asked if the T40 is manageable with the boards out.

On an inflatable with a hard floor you have to deflate it to remove the boards so they would be fitted at the time of assembly and inflation when you take it out of the car.... so you have to consider once set up the weight will be all in with floor.

The T40 weighs 190lb... the Zodiac 340 airfloor weighs 88lb. It is a hell of a difference once you try to do anything other than move them along a smooth level-ish road on their transom wheels. Also a smaller outboard isn't ideally suited to moving those larger alloy floor Honwaves, they deserve a 20-25hp ideally.

Having said all that the 3.5 and 4.0 Honwaves are well made, very roomy and stable.
Old 22 November 2014, 07:11   #15

Town: Lincolnshire
Boat name: Mousetrap
Make: Zodiac Cadet 310S
Engine: Mariner 4 stroke 9.9
I used to regularly launch and recover a heavily-built old inflatable around 3.4 metres long and a 9.9 2 stroke on my own. However, after a while I bought a 3 hp engine to keep the effort down.

My earlier boat was about the same size and even heavier and I had no launch wheels. I used two long poles and used them like a stretcher with the other ends dragging on the sand. OK for short distances. It was hard work but I could get the boat from the roof rack to the water and diving gear assembled and on board and me kitted up in under an hour, and it took a similar time to get my diving gear and boat kit back into the car and the hull folded and onto the roof rack.
Old 22 November 2014, 07:44   #16

I have pretty much the same set up as paddlers Honwave 3.5 ae and Tohatsu 20HP 4 stroke.
I bought it as a inflate / deflate SIB.
I used transom wheels during the initial stages.
It was manageable - but only just on my own.
I quickly got hacked off with the inflate / deflate / reinflate and wash out / repack process.
As I grew to love all thing SIB and added bits and pieces it quickly became apparent that this process was unsustainable as I wanted to use it most weekends.
There was many occasions where I had a spare few hours after work and fancied going 20 miles from home to the beach to do a bit of sea fishing.
However the thought of having to wrestle with a heavy SIB and heavy engine (52kg) in and out of the car and in and out of the water made the notion of a few hours fishing untenable as more time would be spent building / inflating/ washing / packing the darn outfit.
For me a the dreaded trailer was the natural progression to facilitate more regular use.
Thereafter a 4x4 suv replaced my beloved hot hatch.
All that is required now, is to put engine in boot and hook on the SIB and go.
For me the trailer makes the SIB much more user friendly.
Furthermore I get much more use out of the trailered SIB.
I'm now looking at an air deck 3 m SIB that I can carry inside my caravan for use when away on hols.

I think for occasional use a set up like mine is fine but for more regular use get a trailered set up.
Old 22 November 2014, 08:41   #17

Kaman is spot on with his post. We mainly use ours for a two week holiday so once it's built it stays that way.
If I was using it a lot and lived closer to water I'd definitely have a trailer.
I don't own an electric pump but would have one if I was using the sib a lot.
Old 22 November 2014, 09:58   #18

Town: teesside
Boat name: magic
Make: humber 5.5
Engine: mariner 115
MMSI: 232012453
I have a honwave 3.2 meter airfloor with a mercury 15 outboard and to be honest its about as heavy as would like to be carting about .im 6 foot and 15 stone and fairly fit for a 51 year old and find that the weight of the sib packed is as heavy as I would like to lift in and out of the car the same for the outboard .also the size of it packed and the outboard ,fuel tank ,seat ect virtualy fills my vw caddy van
Old 22 November 2014, 10:21   #19

I suffered a prolapsed disc in my spine several years back wrestling with my Sib and outboard whilst launching and retrieving it from the sea.
Neither Sib or outboard shape or weight lend themselves to being manhandled easily.
Now mines rolls on and off the trailed at the waters edge.
The trailer stays dry as the launch wheel are deployed to launch and recover.
This makes the Sib much more user friendly and as a result I use it much more often and get a lot more enjoyment out of it.
If a trailer is a no no I would be leaning towards a 3 m airdeck and a Bravo 12v airpump.
The honwave is a great Sib but it is a heavy old beast.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	1416654305765.jpg
Views:	259
Size:	122.2 KB
ID:	100934   Click image for larger version

Name:	1416654467461.jpg
Views:	262
Size:	79.0 KB
ID:	100935   Click image for larger version

Name:	1416654527041.jpg
Views:	253
Size:	64.4 KB
ID:	100936   Click image for larger version

Name:	1416654591480.jpg
Views:	237
Size:	56.2 KB
ID:	100937   Click image for larger version

Name:	1416654682963.jpg
Views:	257
Size:	126.8 KB
ID:	100938  

Old 22 November 2014, 10:39   #20

Town: teesside
Boat name: magic
Make: humber 5.5
Engine: mariner 115
MMSI: 232012453
that a smart looking set up Kaman . I would like a alloy floored bigger sib but it would defeat the object of selling my speedboat and buying a sib (portability with no storage issues) im getting a collapsible launch trolley for me birthday as its cheaper than the curved launch wheels for mine . then I wont need to carry mine into the water.