Go Back   RIBnet Forums > RIB talk > Inflatable boats - SIBs and folding RIBs
Click Here to Login

Old 26 July 2013, 09:49   #1

Town: Cambridge
Boat name: Frecciarossa
Make: Bombard
Length: 4m +
Engine: Yamaha25
Hello, new Aerotec owner, couple of questions...

Hello,

So, I recently sold my sea kayak (a Tahe Greenland - 5.4m of glassfibre rolling machine ) as it was just too impractical to store & transport, not to mention a bit antisocial with a family and always at risk of my 4 year old deciding to jump on it or trying to lift it off it's rack and dropping it. Not wanting to be completely boat-less, I started looking at inflatable canoes - Gumotex, Sevylor, etc. and in the process happened to notice that SIBs were much cheaper than I expected them to be...

After a couple of weeks of research, including many hours on rib.net, I decided on an airdeck boat, so long as it was a good solid HP airdeck, around 3.4m, capable of 2 planing with 2 adults and 2 children and able to be packed into the boat of a mid-sized teutonic autobahn cruiser (i.e. a 5 series estate). First I settled on a Zodiac 3.4 acti-v, next a Quicksilver 340, then a Honwave T38 finally the Bombard Aerotec 380. After a bit of trawling around, used 380s sold without an outboard seem to be rare but I spotted a 420 which seemed in reasonable nick. As I wanted to get a boat before our holiday in 3 weeks time, I made an offer which I thought would be a good starting point and it was accepted(!) so I should be taking delivery sometime in the next week or so

Whilst I've paddled some fairly serious water in the past and have a healthy respect of the sea, I know next to nothing about powerboats and outboards (engines yes, but not in boats) so will be taking the RYA PB2 later in the year. Then hopefully I can pick up a tired 2 stroke outboard between 15 and 25hp which I can sort-out over winter ready for next season.

What that means is that for the coming holiday we'll be rowing/paddling only. We're going to Italy (Italian wife), to the Cinque Terre region north of La Spezia, so hopefully some nice coastal rowing in fairly sheltered waters from beach to beach. Italy looks to require an ICC so I wouldn't be able to get certified in-time even if I did have an engine available.

Couple of questions are:

I've seen people have retrofitted rowlocks to Aerotecs and I've found some different types available from ribstore and Ron Hale. There are some genuine Bombard ones which are quite cheap but they're basically plastic versions of 'old style' U-shaped rowlocks - are these any good or should I spend more on the captive types? I get the impression that the captive ones might limit rowing technique to more like paddling - can you feather the blade in the captive ones? That being said, I doubt a SIB is ever going to go to well with only oars.

Secondly, does anyone know if the ICC is just for powered craft, or put it another way, do I need any licence or paperwork for a 4.2m rowing boat in Italy?

Cheers, hope to meet some people on the water some day!

Andrew.
Old 26 July 2013, 10:23   #2

Town: Dorset & Hants
Boat name: Streaker/Orange
Make: Avon/Ribcraft
Engine: 50Yam/25 Mariner
Welcome - there is a good follwing of Aerotec owners on here . The 420 are rarer but you may have got it from another member ( another Peter ? ) on here.

I think the 420 is a more hefty beast than the 380 - so more power needed - but most find 15hp pushes the 380 well , and 25hp for more loaded up boats / weighty / speedy adventures .

If you can find PB2 course that will do some time on a tiller steered boat all the better. I 'think' the ICC is only needed for powered boats but Italy may well have its own local rules ..someone wil be along shortly I'm sure to clarify.
Old 26 July 2013, 10:23   #3

Town: Cambridgeshire
Boat name: Nimrod II
Make: Aerotec 380
Length: 3m +
Engine: Yam 15 Tohatsu 9.8
Hello from another guy not too far from Cambridge.

Two thoughts come to mind...

>>>hopefully I can pick up a tired 2 stroke outboard between 15 and 25hp which I can sort-out over winter ready for next season.

Get a decent outboard and look after it not a restoration job, you'll be relying on it to get you back.

>>>for the coming holiday we'll be rowing/paddling only

Rowing a 4.2m sib! OMG as my teen daughters would say. A sib doesn't carry and way and just stops the moment you stop rowing. Also has dreadful directional stability unless under power of an outboard. A fairly modest wind will scoot it over the water faster than you can row.
Old 26 July 2013, 10:23   #4
Administrator

Town: Brighton
I've got the pin-type captive rowlocks on one of my Aerotecs. It's never going to be a pleasure to row, but it does work surprisingly well. You can't feather the oars.

You'll find that the continuous run of grab handle along the top of the tubes is exactly where you'll want to put the rowlocks. Mine are inside, but now that I've used them a few times I'd suggest they go on the outside instead.

Make sure you get oars that are long enough. I just bought the first pair I could find and they barely reached the water so I had to buy some more!

If you can find a cheap 4 or 5 hp outboard it will be fine for low speed use, and would give you more options than oars alone.
Old 26 July 2013, 10:24   #5

Town: St Helens
Boat name: Wine Down
Make: Maxum
Length: 8m +
Engine: Inboard
Hi, great choice of Sib, but I think you are going to be disappointed with it as a rowing boat. The very nature and construction of a sib means its a poor shape to row in the first place and the standard oars are terrible. You cant feather the oars, reach is limited and the relatively short oar means you cant get much length of stroke, if you put any kind of power into the stroke something will break.

Sibs work best with engines, I'm not sure about the laws in Italy, but could you get away with a small outboard just for this holiday and register the boat on UK flag (SSR). I think there is a exception for small boats with slow speeds and engines less than 9.9hp.
Old 26 July 2013, 10:35   #6

Thanks all for the replies and welcomes

PeterM - yes, Peter in Portsmouth, boatsandoutboardsforsale - seems a decent bloke from emails so far.

Fenlander - Point taken about the outboard. I build engines for fun (normally injected Rover V8s) but yes, reliability at sea is a different kettle of fish from in a land rover! Where are you btw? I fancy the idea of some weekend trips down the Cam to the Wash and also the Norfolk/Suffolk coast.

John - thanks for the rowing tips, especially the mounting, I'd planned on the inside of the grab rail (seen photos of Finish guys boat on here) but maybe outside is better.

LLP - interesting, I'll look into a dinky outboard as a starter option. Good point about breaking something if I row to hard. The idea really is just for pootling around in the water on holiday until I sort out PB2/ICC - something/anything to alleviate the utter boredom of the beach holiday the rest of my family seem to enjoy...

A.
Old 26 July 2013, 10:44   #7
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by cleland72 View Post
something/anything to alleviate the utter boredom of the beach holiday the rest of my family seem to enjoy...
My packing list for family holidays generally includes an Aerotec and a large SOT kayak.

Sometimes I even let the rest of the family use them!
Old 26 July 2013, 10:55   #8

Town: South Coast
Make: Quicksilver
Engine: outboard
Just a thought, buying a small old outboard for your Hols would be more expensive than buying a Sevylor Colorado. You can never have too many boats. We all need a small personal fleet to be truly happy.
Old 26 July 2013, 12:24   #9

Town: Copenhagen
Make: Ribeye
Length: 6m +
Engine: 115hp OB
Hi - welcome. I had the Aerotec 380. For planing nicely with 2 adults and 2 kids min 15hp (I had) and preferably (much better) a 25hp I would say. I agree with the rowing comments - tricky! Even with a 3.3 it will go nicely onshore and in lakes though ? . In Italy hiring powerboats with less than 40hp does not need an ICC (on the lakes this year) so it maybe you would not need a license at all- worth a check with RYA?
Old 26 July 2013, 12:39   #10

Town: Dorset & Hants
Boat name: Streaker/Orange
Make: Avon/Ribcraft
Engine: 50Yam/25 Mariner
Quote:
Originally Posted by cleland72 View Post
Thanks all for the replies and welcomes

PeterM - yes, Peter in Portsmouth, boatsandoutboardsforsale - seems a decent bloke from emails so far.
Yep - got my 25 for my Bombard from him and he posts on here regularly but maybe Plymouth and not portsmouth ( but he does get about ! ) the 420 is a long shaft engine so that should open up some choice for you.

I know of a very nice 9.8 tohatsu that I'm sure is for sale from a member on here - but then again with a long shaft engine the ex yacht auxiliary market opens up to you.
Old 26 July 2013, 12:54   #11

Town: Sussex
Boat name: Bombard
Engine: Mercury Mariner 15hp
Fair priced 9.9 longshaft Yam here which IIRC will convert to 15??

Yamaha Outboard Engine 9.9F 13.5A 15F 1997 | eBay

Another 15 longshaft here:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/1710838441...#ht_368wt_1320

PS - agree with the others here - forget rowing a SIB especially in salt water. As JK says just get a tiny little 3.5hp or similar - that will allow you to pootle about at displacement speeds and be a doddle to transport, fuel and carry on the beach etc.
Old 26 July 2013, 13:24   #12

Town: Bangor
Boat name: Lencraft 4.8m
Make: Lencraft
Engine: DT55HP Suzuki
I did the same thing and sold the sea kayak and bought 2 inflatable Advanced Elements kayaks and love them! Had one of the £70 ones from Decathlon and it was OK for a mess about as well, pretty much a disposable item at that price.

Recently bought an inflatable catamaran and its the first boat that all the family like but it was pricey!

Agree with others get a small OB. Will be a fun outfit though with the right engine.
Old 26 July 2013, 14:44   #13

Town: Plymouth
Length: 6m +
If only you'd have bought it from here or my website Andy instead of the dreaded eBay, you'd have saved a few extra quid. Anyway I have the Yam 25hp 2 stroke we could package it up with. I'd add it to the deal for another £1,000, reduced from £1,295 if you wanted the lazy option. If its just for pottering around on though it might be a bit too big (heavy). We also have a Mercury 8hp 2 Stroke available for £600 if this was any better ? Both on our website www.BoatsandOutboards4Sale.co.uk

I'm planning on packaging it up on Monday for dispatch so it will be with you by Wednesday in any case. Drop me an email or call if you have any further questions

www.BoatsandOutboards4Sale.co.uk
Old 26 July 2013, 16:13   #14

Hello Peter - can't be helped about buying through eblag, but I think the price is fair anyhow, especially now that you offer the Yam 25 at that price! You have a PM.

Cheers,

Andrew.
Old 26 July 2013, 17:51   #15

Town: Cambridgeshire
Boat name: Nimrod II
Engine: Yam 15 Tohatsu 9.8
Go on buy that 25hp from Peter to go with it. That would be a cracking outfit!

Fully accept what you say about being good with car or LR engines. I've done a fair bit myself with vehicles but an outboard is one engine I want to restrict to preventative maintenance and avoid repairs.

We're near Peterborough... i.e. too far from the sea to just nip out any day. Sibbing tends to be related to holidays (usually Scotland) and fitted around the time/financial demands of our two teen girls.
Old 26 July 2013, 18:12   #16

Town: South Coast
Make: Quicksilver
Engine: outboard
Funny old world of the sib when you think of it. Buy a boat with oars that one can't row and buy an engine for it which works on a temperamental basis. You can see why some stick to self powered paddles or sails. Sorry engine troubled pessimism.
Old 26 July 2013, 18:39   #17
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fenlander View Post
We're near Peterborough... i.e. too far from the sea to just nip out any day. Sibbing tends to be related to holidays (usually Scotland) and fitted around the time/financial demands of our two teen girls.
I discovered in my only slightly misspent youth that a 4m SIB with a 25hp outboard could be a lot of fun on the River Nene. I suspect that would be frowned upon these days!
Old 26 July 2013, 18:42   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fenlander View Post
Go on buy that 25hp from Peter to go with it. That would be a cracking outfit!

Fully accept what you say about being good with car or LR engines. I've done a fair bit myself with vehicles but an outboard is one engine I want to restrict to preventative maintenance and avoid repairs.

Yup, I think the offer of the outboard from Peter is too good to turn down. Accelerates my plans a bit but in a good way!
Old 27 July 2013, 08:45   #19

Town: Sussex
Boat name: Bombard
Engine: Mercury Mariner 15hp
What sort of speeds are you guys getting with a lightly loaded (say 1 adult, 1 small child + minimal gear) 380 and a 15?
Old 27 July 2013, 11:33   #20
Administrator

I'd guess at around 20 knots lightly loaded. Only in the very flattest of seas would I want to go any faster to be honest. If you're 4 up then the 15 will start to struggle a bit.