Old 26 July 2016, 11:31   #1

Town: Torbay
Boat name: Dont Panic
Make: Zodiac YL 480 DL
Length: 4m +
Engine: Mercury 75
Have a look at these..!

I have just bought one of these, and thought that I would share with you guys on here, as it could be of use in a SIB

My intentions are to use it on my Stand up paddleboard, my kayak and as a back up light / anchor light on the Rib, carried in my grab bag.

I had been looking at them for a while, and bit the bullet and ordered one. It arrived this morning, and I am very impressed with it for the money.

SUP Hydrostar Light at Blue Chip

And the youtube review
Old 26 July 2016, 14:14   #2

Town: Oakland CA
Length: 3m +
Not saying you made a mistake, but take a look at the reviews on Amazon:

https://www.amazon.com/Seattle-Sport...ews/B00AR3M3PA

Hope you have better luck than they did...

jky
Old 26 July 2016, 15:59   #3

The link you posted has no reviews.....!

What ever you purchase in life, there will always be someone, who has something bad to say about it. Whether it be cars, boats, restaurants, or even a water proof light, someone, somewhere, will have a moan, a bad report, or bad experience, to moan about. I drive 2 x Volkswagens, and love them both. Some other people cant abide them, each to their own. I have a Zodiac rib, others have other brands, and probably think theirs is the best.

I made a decision to purchase this light, on the good reviews, that I had read, and when I received it this morning, I was impressed with the build quality of it. IF, when I use it in anger, when I go SuP'ing at night, it fails, then it will go back, and I will probably have a rant about it. And at £29.95, I am not really going to lose any sleep over it.
Old 26 July 2016, 19:44   #4

Town: South West
Boat name: SR Adventure 4.7
Length: under 3m
I thought there was no reviews as well but you need to click on the actual item on that page !
This link works
https://www.amazon.com/product-revie...owViewpoints=1

I copied some of the reviews below !

Most Helpful Customer Reviews on Amazon.com (beta)
Amazon.com: HASH(0x899f5b34) out of 5 stars 23 reviews
6 of 6 people found the following review helpful HASH(0x8994c390) out of 5 stars Poor Workmanship 7 Jan. 2014
By Cedric Standbridge - Published on Amazon.com
Verified Purchase
Problem 1- I dropped it once from about 2 feet, part of the plastic broke, and two of the light settings no longer work. One wire from a LED light came loose from where it was soldered onto the circuit board. Its not a hard fix, i'm going to solder it back. I wouldn't have expected it to break that easily tho.

Problem 2- A magnet inside the black rubber portion of the light came loose from where it was glued. Again not a hard fix, but I was disappointed.

All in all I was expecting for the light to be of higher quality and workmanship. For $36 i was DISAPPOINTED.

5 of 5 people found the following review helpful HASH(0x8994c5b8) out of 5 stars Seattle Sports HydroStar Sea Star Deluxe 22 July 2013
By Professor - Published on Amazon.com

Looked like the ideal item for my 10 foot rigid bottom inflatable.

Boy was I disappointed when the first time I used it returning to the dock at dusk it only worked intermittently. Then the metal disc in the suction cup base fell out.

So I tried to exchange it but they were out of stock. Went back a few times to find it in stock only today. So I exchanged it and brought it home.

Tried it out. Works fine, as long as you don't jostle it about. The battery pack has too much slack side to side and up and down inside. So I wrapped a dime in electrical tape and dropped it in the bottom. Eureka! It works great now. I can throw it across the room and it will not go out! Have yet to test the water tightness of it. Don't think I want to risk it.

Save yourself the frustration and get the higher end units!

4 of 4 people found the following review helpful HASH(0x8994c69c) out of 5 stars Hydrostar light 16 July 2013
By daren - Published on Amazon.com
Verified Purchase
Used once, toggle switch for power broke - had to return for replacement. Light was visible in dense fog for about 200 feet (in strobe setting). I am not certain why they have a whistle attached - it's about as effective as snapping your wet fingers. Suction cup doesn't conform to a curved kayak hull, small cords needed to hold in place - there is a magnet at the base which is nice.. if your kayak is made out of metal Overall, the lights are bright enough and are clearly seen at night - the port and starboard areas could be a bit larger in the ideal world.

***Additional review*** A month after getting a replacement, the light would not turn off from the SOS setting. I manually had to remove the battery compartment to turn off the light. Yes, the batteries were new, the terminals are clean and dry. Not too certain if this is a quality crafted item - great idea, but poorly constructed. I am in process of contacting Seattle Sports for a THIRD replacement light.

3 of 3 people found the following review helpful HASH(0x8994cb58) out of 5 stars Junk 3 July 2013
By Todd K. - Published on Amazon.com

The whistle clip broke before I even used it and they sent me another one. It arrived defective. They would not send me another one as they claimed they didn't have anymore in stock. I was able to glue parts from the first and second one together to make a good one. So that problem was solved. First time out on the water and this thing got wet and it stopped working. I dried it off at home and got the light working again, but then the next day it stopped working. The rubber gaskets don't do anything. Do yourself a favor and spend a bit more for an ACR light. I won't skimp on emergency gear again!

3 of 3 people found the following review helpful HASH(0x8994c9cc) out of 5 stars Light Up Your Dinghy 25 Feb. 2014
By Jonathan Bryant - Published on Amazon.com
Verified Purchase
If you can't see anything when you got your Dinghy out, chances are no one else can see your Dinghy either. Not only will this light show your Dinghy off to all others around, It also flashes SOS to guide others to your Dinghy in the event that your inflatable gives out unexpectedly and leaves you hanging. So say good-bye to the days you could only have your Dinghy out during the day, Grab your Sea Star Deluxe Light, stick it anywhere on your tender, and keep your Dinghy going all night.

Go to Amazon.com to see all 23 reviews HASH(0x899f5b34) out of 5 stars
Were these reviews helpful? Let us know
Old 26 July 2016, 19:47   #5

Town: Retford
Boat name: Spy-sea-one
Make: Excel 435
Engine: Suzuki Outboard/25/4
RIBase
Definitely worth thirty quid IMO and if the nav lights work as they should and not overwhelmed by the while light a bonus for small craft.
Psycho report back when you put it through its paces but dropping it and throwing it around not the intended use. We have a saying at work for our divers if we buy kit we buy three they will pinch one, loose one & break the other
Cheers
Old 26 July 2016, 21:21   #6

Fred- cheers for the link, and I did what you said, and they are there.

But as I said, a few bad reviews, does it make it bad???

Last year, myself, my immediate family, and some extended family, rented a holiday home in the New Forest, and this place was absolutely stunning, idyllic, extremely well catered for every whim and need you could ask for. There was a visitors book in the hallway for guests to write comments. I was shocked and disgusted at some of the things that people had written, but some of the things they were moaning about, was unreal....!

Jeff, I will let you know mate, when I have used it, and like I said, it looks and feels very well made. Sure, if I dropped it, it might break, like if I dropped my iphone, it would probably break, but does that make it bad.?