Old 02 March 2017, 13:26   #1

Folding trailer

Lol .
I knew the that the quoting of the 85 % Caravan Club Golden Rule would raise a few eyebrows.
Been a member of the C.C for coming up on 11 years now and they do make a song and dance about certain rules. Seen a few C.C wardens giving a bloke who pulled up on the site towing a 20ft + twin axle Bailey Caravan with a Peugeot 206 a good finger wagging 😂.

https://youtu.be/s8ChOMh4QdM

This clip springs to mind.

I own a Lunar Caravan which is just over a tonne my Tiguan is rated to tow 2.2 tonne. I would never contemplate towing a 2.2 tonne caravan with it however as in windy conditions this would be disastrous. I have towed around 1.8 tonne with it in the form of an Ivor Williams twin axle trailer loaded with wet mud and clay. Much lower centre of gravity and not susceptible to being blown around by gusts of wind.

I consider the aid of the Alko type stabilisers etc to be more important than the 85 % rule as well as getting loading / nose weight correct when towing a high sided caravan.

The use of a stabiliser greatly enhances the caravan towing ability of any car particularly at speed when encountering buffeting from wind and passing HGVs etc.

I did initially consider putting the 3.8m Honwave in the caravan but decided against it due to the awkwardness of the task getting it in and out and the additional weight on the caravan axle - not thru fear of compromising the 85% rule .