Old 11 July 2009, 15:03   #1

Town: Carmarthen
Length: no boat
Floors, floors??

Hello All,

Welcome from "sunny" south west Wales.

New on here, I have been boat fishing on and off for a while and have been given permission by SWMBO that I can invest in a SIB to extend my fishing jaunts in the estuaries.

I've never owned an inflatable before, so I'm doing the rounds, searching the sites etc. Trying to glean as much information as possible.

I'm sure this question has been asked many times before, which floor ?

I would expect the rigid ply floor would be best for what I intend to use it for, but are they really a nightmare and take ages to assemble ?

Thanks

Bill
Old 11 July 2009, 18:40   #2

Town: swansea
Boat name: Too Blue
Make: BLANK
Length: 8m +
Engine: Suzuki DT225
About 20mins when practiced. Easiest is to leave it inflated and stick it on the car roof - easier on a normal car than a Landie!!!

Get launching wheels as well.

I prefer an air floor - definitely more solid. If you must roll the boat up every time you use it an air floor would make more sense.
Old 12 July 2009, 01:19   #3

Town: West Wales
Make: Vipermax 5.8, SR4.7
Length: 5m +
Engine: 150 Opti, F50EFi
Quote:
Originally Posted by springwell View Post
Hello All,

Welcome from "sunny" south west Wales.

New on here, I have been boat fishing on and off for a while and have been given permission by SWMBO that I can invest in a SIB to extend my fishing jaunts in the estuaries.

I've never owned an inflatable before, so I'm doing the rounds, searching the sites etc. Trying to glean as much information as possible.

I'm sure this question has been asked many times before, which floor ?

I would expect the rigid ply floor would be best for what I intend to use it for, but are they really a nightmare and take ages to assemble ?

Thanks

Bill
Hiya Bill - welcome to ribnet.
Choice of floor will depend on how you balance up time and ease of assembly against weight & resistance to fish hooks, bass dorsal fins, etc.
I currently have a couple of 10' Avon SIBs, one with an airdeck and the other with a rollaway deck. I also used to have a plywood deck 11' Avon a few years ago, so I've tried them all. My favourite to use is the plywood deck, followed by the rollaway, with the soppy airdeck in 3rd place. However, the airdeck is quick to 'assemble' (inflate only) and quite comfortable to kneel on. The rollaway deck boat is heavy and doesn't roll up very small, but has a nice solid deck, which gives a relatively stiff keel.
If I was restricted to just having one, I'd probably choose the plywood floor version, but I know some people find fitting the deck a PITA. As Codprawn says, once you're used to it, it can be done quickly: around 5-10 minutes.

PS
Where in Carmarthen is the sun shining today?
Old 12 July 2009, 03:16   #4

Whoops - that was supposed to say I prefer a wood floor!!!

And in Swansea it has rained solid for 48 hours - - torrential most of the time!!!
Old 12 July 2009, 10:10   #5

Thanks for the replies,

Well it looks like a wooden floor then?

Sun only shone for an hour down Porthyrhyd way yesterday and its blowing a gale now.

Planning to use the SIB for fishing close in around Milford and Fishguard and all the other accesible sheltered beaches down this way.

Bill
Old 12 July 2009, 13:42   #6

Town: Marple
Make: Zodiac
Length: under 3m
Engine: Tohatsu 9.8
Floors

We've just been through a similar choice, and we went for the wooden floor on our 2.85m Zodiac.
The first attempt to assemble it took us nearly an hour.....but the second attempt took under 25 minutes, also made easier by the fact that we installed the floor the right way up this time. A lot of this time was taken by pumping up, as we still have the cheap bellows type foot pump that came with it.
Assembling and fitting the floor takes under 5 minutes. You put all the boards in position then stand on it in the middle to press it into place. There are two side pieces to hold it in position which are installed after that. Like I said though, under 5 minutes, and it's all still new to us.
I reckon that with an electric pump we could have the boat assembled and engine on in 10 minutes.
Old 12 July 2009, 15:27   #7

Quote:
Well it looks like a wooden floor then?
For your intended use of the boat, I'd say so, but don't write off the Avon Rollaway. If you can cope with the weight and bulk of it when rolled up, then it's a good all round boat and the quickest of the lot to get onto the water.
I assume you're looking to carry it around in the boot of your car, rather than use a trailer? If you are thinking of trailing it, then I'd suggest you go for a small RIB instead. (preferably Avon. )
Old 13 July 2009, 07:56   #8

I'll be carrying it in an estate car, some of the places I intend to use it are difficult to access with a trailer, I know I tried in my younger days!

Seems like for practical reasons a ply floor is the way to go. the combination of fish spines, hooks and other sharp things and boots concern me a bit on other floors.

I've drawn up a short list, Bombard Typhoon 310 or 360 or Zodiac Cadet or Zoom 340, 350 solid. I'm leaning towards the Bombards any thoughts?

Thanks for the previous help.

Outboard next !

Bill
Old 13 July 2009, 08:41   #9

Town: Dorset & Hants
Boat name: Streaker/Orange
Make: Avon/Ribcraft
Length: 4m +
Engine: 50Yam/25 Mariner
I've had 2 Bombards ( although the 'smaller' aones - AX3 & AX2 - very happy with them both. I 'think' that Bombard, Avon & Zodiac are all ownwed by the same company now ?
Old 13 July 2009, 12:31   #10

get a 2 stroke outboard - only used ones around now I think. ideally a Tohatsu 15/18hp short shaft. 4 strokes are very heavy to lug around. And proper inflatable transom wheels.

With an estate car it should be easy to stick the boat on the roof - no need for a rack - just attach it to the roof rails or through the windows with straps.
Old 13 July 2009, 12:34   #11

Town: British Columbia
Make: Gemini
Engine: 40hp 2 str
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackroady View Post
I've had 2 Bombards ( although the 'smaller' aones - AX3 & AX2 - very happy with them both. I 'think' that Bombard, Avon & Zodiac are all ownwed by the same company now ?
Yup, all part of Zodiac now.
Old 13 July 2009, 12:43   #12

Hi codprawn,

I was thinking of a good 2 stroke, if you can find them these days. But I'm always wary about secondhand engines.

For my car ( well the companies) the roof bars cost about £350+! out of the price league. I did see inflatable roof racks for about £50 which fit all cars, slip through the windows.

An inflatable roof rack to support an inflatable boat, an interesting theory, might be the answer?

I see that quite a few anglers fish from 3 metre SIB's, seems small to me coming from a rigid hull background?

Bill
Old 13 July 2009, 13:17   #13

Town: Dorset & Hants
Boat name: Streaker/Orange
Make: Avon/Ribcraft
Engine: 50Yam/25 Mariner
Quote:
Hi codprawn,

I did see inflatable roof racks for about £50 which fit all cars, slip through the windows.
I was wanting to buy these - but hard as I tried I could't find a reason to justify it - but just the job for a SIB on the rook I reckon. No hard bits to rub on the boat.

I see quite a few now used by canoeists on all sorts of cars.
Old 13 July 2009, 13:28   #14

Quote:
I did see inflatable roof racks for about £50 which fit all cars, slip through the windows.

Bill
OOOps, I meant above the doors, otherwise you wouldn't be able to open the doors, doh

Bill
Old 13 July 2009, 13:31   #15

I don't think you would need any rack at all - just chuck the boat on the roof - airkeel deflated - nice smooth bottom nothing to scratch.
Old 13 July 2009, 19:45   #16

Quote:

I've drawn up a short list, Bombard Typhoon 310 or 360 or Zodiac Cadet or Zoom 340, 350 solid. I'm leaning towards the Bombards any thoughts?
Is the cost of an Avon R310/340 keeping it off your list?
Old 13 July 2009, 20:09   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by Downhilldai View Post
Is the cost of an Avon R310/340 keeping it off your list?
To some extent yes, however as they are made from hypalon their life is longer, so I suppose in the long run they are a better buy ?

Bill
Old 14 July 2009, 09:27   #18

Do I have to bite the bullet and credit card and go for Avon, even at almost twice the price of their competitors. Have the other brands such as Bombard, Quicksilver and Zodiac not upped their quality over the years.

The last time I checked the SIB market was about 20 years ago, so I'm a bit rusty and have a lot of catching up to do.

I'm hoping to make a purchase in the next week or so, many thanks for all the help so far.

Bill
Old 14 July 2009, 22:00   #19

Have you thought of buying something second hand?

If you're looking to buy new, then Martin at Kelpie Boats in Pembroke Dock is usually competitive on Avons, Bombards, etc.

Let me know if you'd like to have a look at a couple of used Avons to decide if the quality convinces you.
Old 15 July 2009, 07:45   #20

Thanks Dai,

I may well take you up on that and pick your brains at the same time.
I used to live in Neyland and work in Pembroke Dock up to few years ago.

Bill