Old 20 September 2012, 20:18   #1

Town: lancashire
Make: xpro 380
Length: 4m +
Engine: tohatsu 20hp 4stroke
RIBase
fish finder for sib

i am looking to put a fish finder on my honwave t40 sib more for depth than fishing but unsure whether i will get a good reading from transducer , hope someone can help with info , thanks
Old 21 September 2012, 00:03   #2

Town: NorCal
Boat name: SHARKY
Make: AB
Engine: Honda BF75 & BF5
The quality of the reading from the transducer is in direct relation to how much you want to spend. So how much do you want to spend? Are you looking for GPS capability too?
Old 21 September 2012, 07:00   #3

Town: Northampton
Make: Yam
Length: 3m +
Engine: Mariner 20hp & 2hp
I'm looking for the same a fishfinder / chartplotter all in one jobbie but unsure what to get. It will also be going on a SIB. I want a reasonable one that doesn't cost the earth!
Old 21 September 2012, 14:09   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by onlyonestone View Post
I'm looking for the same a fishfinder / chartplotter all in one jobbie but unsure what to get. It will also be going on a SIB. I want a reasonable one that doesn't cost the earth!
I have a Garmin that I have been happy with. It has a small screen (Model # 441S), but works good enough. 90% of the time it is used as a depth finder.

Where do you plan to mount your units? Do you already have a 12 volt battery? Do you plan to add one, if so how is it going to be charged?
Old 21 September 2012, 20:17   #5

Town: Stotfold
Boat name: kimozo 2
Make: Ribtec
Length: 5m +
Engine: Mercury 115 efi 4 st
Hi Had a garmin 90 fish finder/ depth sounder on my hon t40, worked very well,mounted onto front seat , with a 12 v small sealed lead acid batt for power (screwfix )power consumption details in owners maual, used to charge at home and would last all day .if away from home for a few days can usually find a power source somewhere to recharge.
Old 21 September 2012, 21:36   #6

RIBase
hi trevor .i planned on using a jump start/power pack and mount it in a battery box, then mount sounder on top,but i am not sure about how or whereto put transducer for best results,as i hoped not to screw to transom if poss would be grate if someone could give info or even pics.
Old 22 September 2012, 04:46   #7

I wouldn't recommend using a jump pack but instead a dedicated battery inside a battery box. Then you could mount your sonar unit to the battery box. Set up a charger at home for charging. I use a CTek and have been very happy with it, as are the other reviewers.

See last post in this thread with link.
http://www.rib.net/forum/f50/nice-lo...sib-49728.html

Somewhere in the past I have seen where others have mounted their sonar sending units to a pole and used a clamp over the transom. I have mine permanently mounted, and just undo the connector when I want to remove my electronics tower.

Transducer goes on the starboard side due to prop rotation.
Old 22 September 2012, 08:13   #8

Town: Fareham
Length: 6m +
Plenty of hand held fishfinders on the market at a surprisingly good price. You'll just have to make a simple bracket for the transducer to sit on the transom.

Have a look at this example:

ECHOFISH 300 HAND HELD FISH FINDER | Marine Super Store

Looks Slow but is Fast
Member of the ebay Blue RIB cover club.
Hightower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 September 2012, 12:46   #9

Town: Hampshire
Gamin 300 is a perfect size for a SIB. Get the 441 if you want combined GPS. Mount it on the read seat and clamp the transducer to the transom.
Old 01 October 2012, 22:58   #10

Town: Cardiff
Make: Humber Destroyer 5.5
Engine: 90hp OB
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hightower
Plenty of hand held fishfinders on the market at a surprisingly good price. You'll just have to make a simple bracket for the transducer to sit on the transom.

Have a look at this example:

Still got this if anyone is interested drop me a PM with a reasonable offer.

http://www.rib.net/forum/f10/echofis...der-49921.html

Mike
Old 02 October 2012, 08:28   #11

Town: Northampton
Make: RibTec
Engine: Outbaord mariner 75
if you use a std 12v battery you can easily charge it from your car.
Old 02 October 2012, 15:40   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by jezza2011 View Post
if you use a std 12v battery you can easily charge it from your car.
Not really. Two unlike batteries charging at the same amperage is not a good thing. Plus the chances of getting a full charge on "the ride home" are going to be pretty much non existent, except for maybe those that drive 5+ hours to the water. Unless of course you use the alternator to power a battery charger...

A decent quality small portable charger left on overnight will charge it, then put a float charge on it to top it up completely.
Old 20 October 2012, 21:52   #13
Gaz

Town: Poole
Boat name: Spearfisher
Make: Bombard
Engine: Outboard
I've got one similar this, which takes batteries in the back:

Sorry, but I cannot recommend it as I have not got around to using it yet (despite having owned it for a couple of years, I think!)

I own a Bombard Aerotec, and I'm hoping that I will be able to put the transducer between into the gap between the two halves of the high pressure deck, at the rear of the boat, so that it takes it's readings through the keel of the boat (well, that's the hope, anyway).

Other than that, this fish finder has a hand held transducer that you hold over the side, or one on a float that you stream out behind the boat.

All sounds a bit unlikely, but I'll get around to testing it one day.

Old 20 October 2012, 22:07   #14

Town: Dorset & Hants
Boat name: Streaker/Orange
Make: Avon/Ribcraft
Engine: 50Yam/25 Mariner
I've used the float over the side version on my 380 tied to the fuel barge bouy in Poole Harbour

Never thought about seeing it it would read between the floor sections....but I doubt it..have to try it next time !
Old 20 October 2012, 23:26   #15
Gaz

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeterM View Post
I've used the float over the side version on my 380 tied to the fuel barge bouy in Poole Harbour

Never thought about seeing it it would read between the floor sections....but I doubt it..have to try it next time !

I gather that the transducer needs to be in the water, but there is always water in the part of the aerotec that I am talking about (especially the way it comes flooding over my transom - LOL). So then the transducer will only need to read through the thin skin of the bottom of the boat.

I can see no reason (well, not many anyway) why it wouldn't work - although no doubt there will be others, more informed than me, who will see plenty of reasons!

I don't need it to find fish, but just to give me an indication as to when I am over certain prominent features.

Did it 'find' fish for you Peter?

Old 21 October 2012, 04:13   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gaz View Post
I gather that the transducer needs to be in the water, but there is always water in the part of the aerotec that I am talking about (especially the way it comes flooding over my transom - LOL). So then the transducer will only need to read through the thin skin of the bottom of the boat.

I can see no reason (well, not many anyway) why it wouldn't work - although no doubt there will be others, more informed than me, who will see plenty of reasons!
I have no idea if it will work or not, but want to throw the idea of how to mount it out there. My previous boat had the transducer shoot thru the fiberglass hull. I needed to mount a bilge pump into the bottom of the Zodiac SIB and it could be used for something like a transducer fairly easily by changing the design to hold the transducer. Of course the ABS mounting plate could be either left out or also put a hole into.

I have PVC for performing repairs and upgrades along with the glue needed so it was easy enough for me. Plus I have an industrial sewing machine that punches through most anything, although it could be easily hand sewn (Use a thimble!). You could even cut a hole out of the middle of it to allow less material between the transducer and the actual body of water. Anyhow velcro can fix most anything. If there is room to pass the wires somewhere great, otherwise a router can help them pass through solid objects.

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Bilge pump.jpg
Views:	2119
Size:	138.4 KB
ID:	73428  
Old 21 October 2012, 09:07   #17
Gaz

Wow, you really go for it, don't you!

I wouldn't need a permanent arrangement like that - I would just push the transducer into the previously mentioned gap as and when I need it.

Old 05 November 2012, 05:41   #18
Spammer

Town: Southern Ontario
Boat name: -Unknown-
Make: SeaMax
Engine: Merc/Minn Kota
Made this 12 volt electrical setup for all devices in my SIB, including my new Humminbird dual cone sonar. Works very-well and easily removes.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Batterypack 1 july 2012.jpg
Views:	339
Size:	226.3 KB
ID:	73882  
Old 05 November 2012, 06:21   #19

RIBase
Hi nightfisher , thats the sort of set up i was thinking of, do u have transducer fixed or on removable bracket as i was hoping not to put holes in transom.
Old 05 November 2012, 07:54   #20
Spammer

Town: Southern Ontario
Boat name: -Unknown-
Make: SeaMax
Engine: Merc/Minn Kota
Quote:
Originally Posted by maxitope View Post
Hi nightfisher , thats the sort of set up i was thinking of, do u have transducer fixed or on removable bracket as i was hoping not to put holes in transom.

Hi maxitope,

My set-up has the transducer mounted just below (1/2") of the deepest part of keel, screwed into (but not through) the transom. Nothing wrong with putting holes in the transom--but, be sure to use a Marine Grade Silicone sealant both in the drill holes and screws to make it water-tight before screwing in the mount for the final time.

One word of caution, most Sonars are designed with a permanent bracket which holds BOTH the Power Connector and Tranducer connector when plugged into or removed from Sonar. Therefore, you will have to modify the bracket to be able to release the Transducer cable as it will stay with the boat when removing the battery pack if Sonar is mounted to the removable power pack or the transducer is permanently mounted to the transom.

Anything you want to know about the battery multi-outlet power system and switch/fuse panel, just let me know.