Old 11 March 2016, 21:02   #1

Town: warrington
Make: Honwave T32
Length: 3m +
Engine: Mercury 15 2 stroke
Excel inflatables - customer service

I recently looked into purchasing an excel 430 inflatable, decided not to buy as it wouldn't fit in garage with trailer hitch.
Various ribnetters advised me to speak to Terry at excel telling me he was a great guy to deal with

When I spoke to him several weeks ago he was very helpful, today I received a courtesy call to see if I'm still interested
Obviously he's trying to get a sale .........i'm a sales rep... know the score :-)

but...... the reason for this post..... he is so passionate about his brand, I believe in his customer service and believe he would back up any warranty he offers. This may seem a dull post to some, but its nice to deal with someone who seems interested in their product and not focusing just on profit. I'm not sure if he's got a sale yet as its a long trip to view his showroom, but his enthusiasm is tempting me to a 3 hour round trip

Anyone tried an excel air deck?
Old 11 March 2016, 21:34   #2

Town: S. Carolina
Boat name: D560
Make: Avon
Length: 5m +
Engine: 2016 Merc 115hp CT
Made in China...probably on par with Honwave, Zoom by Zodiac, Yamaha Inflatable Boats, Quicksilver / Mercury, etc.
office888 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 March 2016, 22:00   #3

Town: north ayrshire
Boat name: charlie girl
Make: S/R5.4/regal3760
Length: 10m +
Engine: Suzukidf70 2x6lp 315
We bought one of the first he imported about 12 years ago still looks good and no dodgy glue or seams & never had much care and attention to keep it looking good
Had an issue after a couple of trips which required a replacement air floor which was supplied without problem
I'd say definitely as good as the rest if not better
Re the garage couldn't you get a removable draw bar trailer?
Old 11 March 2016, 22:17   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by office888 View Post
Made in China...probably on par with Honwave, Zoom by Zodiac, Yamaha Inflatable Boats, Quicksilver / Mercury, etc.
On, par.... slightly cheaper with 5 year warranty and cheaper accessories

Only negative is selling used is possibly less desirable than mainstream brands
Old 11 March 2016, 22:22   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by beamishken View Post
We bought one of the first he imported about 12 years ago still looks good and no dodgy glue or seams & never had much care and attention to keep it looking good
Had an issue after a couple of trips which required a replacement air floor which was supplied without problem
I'd say definitely as good as the rest if not better
Re the garage couldn't you get a removable draw bar trailer?
Sounds good beamishken
Reliable,durable, and warranty support

Removable draw bar is a good idea, but its a wide boat too, just too big overall
Old 12 March 2016, 10:12   #6

Town: Cambridgeshire
Boat name: Nimrod II
Make: Aerotec 380
Engine: Yam 15 Tohatsu 9.8
>>>Anyone tried an excel air deck?

You've a Futura at the moment and at the right budget would buy an Aerotec??

I'd be very wary of a budget brand flat air floor/sausage keel design... particularly in a size of 3.4m+... it may disappoint.
Old 12 March 2016, 10:15   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fenlander View Post
>>>Anyone tried an excel air deck?

You've a Futura at the moment and at the right budget would buy an Aerotec??

I'd be very wary of a budget brand flat air floor/sausage keel design... particularly in a size of 3.4m+... it may disappoint.

I sold my futura (to beerbelly) Fenlander

Not had a sib for 2 years, just bought an outboard

Just need the right sib now
Old 12 March 2016, 10:17   #8

>>>Just need the right sib now

Then be very wary of a flat air floor after having the Futura experience in your mind.
Old 12 March 2016, 12:07   #9

Town: teesside
Boat name: magic
Make: humber 5.5
Length: 5m +
Engine: mariner 115
MMSI: 232012453
not sure I agree there sure the futura is a well built fun boat with a 25 yam on the back but when deflated it was bloody heavy and large and cumbersome and had the amazing capacity to fill any car you put it in .so I changed to a honwave 3.2 airfloor and 15hp and its almost as much fun but packed away its miles more manageable easily packed away or assembled or carried about in its bag by one man and its surprisingly good out at sea even in a bit of chop not as fast and furious as the zodiac but loads easier to live with and use
Old 12 March 2016, 12:09   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by beerbelly View Post
not sure I agree there sure the futura is a well built fun boat with a 25 yam on the back but when deflated it was bloody heavy and large and cumbersome and had the amazing capacity to fill any car you put it in .so I changed to a honwave 3.2 airfloor and 15hp and its almost as much fun but packed away its miles more manageable easily packed away or assembled or carried about in its bag by one man and its surprisingly good out at sea even in a bit of chop not as fast and furious as the zodiac but loads easier to live with and use

I agree, I've bought a 15hp 2 stroke this time, much easier to move around
Old 12 March 2016, 12:25   #11

Town: north ayrshire
Boat name: charlie girl
Make: S/R5.4/regal3760
Length: 10m +
Engine: Suzukidf70 2x6lp 315
Our excel is an air deck but it's a 290 so a bit smaller never had any problems with the air deck itself ours was replaced because the floor retaining lat along the transom pulled off and punctured the air floor with the screws so not the fault of the air deck,the screws were too short
We used it for everything from towing the kids on rings to fishing and then general tender duty
Any problems with the air deck will not be excel specific but will affect any air deck
Old 12 March 2016, 12:52   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by beamishken View Post
Our excel is an air deck but it's a 290 so a bit smaller never had any problems with the air deck itself ours was replaced because the floor retaining lat along the transom pulled off and punctured the air floor with the screws so not the fault of the air deck,the screws were too short
We used it for everything from towing the kids on rings to fishing and then general tender duty
Any problems with the air deck will not be excel specific but will affect any air deck

Sounds like it's served you beamishken 👍
Old 12 March 2016, 13:16   #13

Not sure what length you're looking at but what I was meaning is the longer the SIB the more chance for unwanted flex in a flat air floor with sausage keel. Sub 3m air floors are much stiffer. The Honwaves aren't a flat air floor so have greater stiffness... particularly the 3.2m. The HP keel of the Zodiac Fastrollers makes them a bit better too.

See JK's post #44 in this thread...

http://www.rib.net/forum/f50/easiest...tml#post580934
Old 12 March 2016, 14:27   #14

I'm looking at a honwave t32 tomorrow hopefully, smaller than I initially wanted but most people seem happy with them,
Old 12 March 2016, 23:24   #15

Town: Edinburgh
Boat name: Excel Chalanger
Make: Highfield 380 Excel
Length: 4m +
Engine: 25 Yamaha 25Suzuki
MMSI: 235919522
Terry is spot on Iam getting my second sib from terry I would go to say excel better than honwave 435 van guard is perfect with 25hp

Sent from my iPhone using RIB Net
Old 13 March 2016, 15:31   #16

Town: London
Make: Aerotec 3.8
Engine: Mercury T/S 15hp
I bought a 10 year old 3.2 HW airfloor with 15hp last year, I don't have anything to compare it to being a newcomer to Sibbing but as said both outboard and boat are manageable for transport/storage single handed although I use a (Screwfix) sack barrow to move the rolled up boat and then again with the outboard. If I have me + 1 person then the bagged boat is carried quite easily. The HD wheels I’ve fitted make it a piece of cake to move about on tarmac from car park to slip fully loaded with kit/fuel/outboard, I wouldn't consider doing the same on banked shingle or soft sand and from experience I don’t want to repeat on mud at low tide in either Titchmarsh Marina or Totnes town slip!

If a little under pressure there is bow to stern flex, when the air floor is correctly pressured (leave in cold water for a bit then top up) this goes away leaving only the movement underfoot motions of the waves below (planing through chop etc) not sure if that’s common to all air floors? The boat so far feels safe for a small craft and is stable on plane. I’d like more space but that means (staying with the Honwave range) the weight and hassle of the 3.5/3.8 metal floors or the large packed size of the 3.8 that many have said lead to it being on a trailer full time. These reasons are why I guess the Bombard Areotec 380 is popular, small pack size, longer line in water, performs well, compromises seem to be V floor and not as much space on board. The usual which SIB dilemma

Anyhoo, repetition of what others have said but I have found it so far: Portable, good build quality for the money (I paid around £600 second hand inc Bravo pump) , performs well for it’s class, feels safe. I’m still amazed that such a strong sea going thing can come out of a bag!
Old 13 March 2016, 15:47   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by Highland Haggis View Post
Terry is spot on Iam getting my second sib from terry I would go to say excel better than honwave 435 van guard is perfect with 25hp

Sent from my iPhone using RIB Net

I like the excel inflatables, and terry seems a really nice guy

The only downside is I've seen a few for sale private/used and they don't seem to hold their value as much as the more recognised brand names
Old 13 March 2016, 15:53   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yabadabadoo View Post
I bought a 10 year old 3.2 HW airfloor with 15hp last year, I don't have anything to compare it to being a newcomer to Sibbing but as said both outboard and boat are manageable for transport/storage single handed although I use a (Screwfix) sack barrow to move the rolled up boat and then again with the outboard. If I have me + 1 person then the bagged boat is carried quite easily. The HD wheels I’ve fitted make it a piece of cake to move about on tarmac from car park to slip fully loaded with kit/fuel/outboard, I wouldn't consider doing the same on banked shingle or soft sand and from experience I don’t want to repeat on mud at low tide in either Titchmarsh Marina or Totnes town slip!

If a little under pressure there is bow to stern flex, when the air floor is correctly pressured (leave in cold water for a bit then top up) this goes away leaving only the movement underfoot motions of the waves below (planing through chop etc) not sure if that’s common to all air floors? The boat so far feels safe for a small craft and is stable on plane. I’d like more space but that means (staying with the Honwave range) the weight and hassle of the 3.5/3.8 metal floors or the large packed size of the 3.8 that many have said lead to it being on a trailer full time. These reasons are why I guess the Bombard Areotec 380 is popular, small pack size, longer line in water, performs well, compromises seem to be V floor and not as much space on board. The usual which SIB dilemma

Anyhoo, repetition of what others have said but I have found it so far: Portable, good build quality for the money (I paid around £600 second hand inc Bravo pump) , performs well for it’s class, feels safe. I’m still amazed that such a strong sea going thing can come out of a bag!

Looks like I'll have a the same outfit as you yabadabbadoo

Just bought a Mercury 15hp 2 stroke, and I'm getting a new t32 this week

I think air floors are a compromise but much easier and lighter than solid decks

Like you, I'd love an aerotec.... But not at the current RRP and recent new stock quality issues
Old 13 March 2016, 16:26   #19

Good choice I reckon... you'll have less exposure to risk with the Honwave in my opinion and with the 15hp should be a nippy outfit. Look forward to hearing reports of the first outings.

I think I need to have confidence in advising purchase of a new Aerotec (post Sept 2015) restored by a few stories of folks buying fault free ones and being pleased with their condition.
Old 13 March 2016, 16:29   #20

>>> I’m still amazed that such a strong sea going thing can come out of a bag!

Do you know that's something that puts a smile on my face every time... turn up at a car park near the coast with no sign you have a boat.... then a comfortable 30mins or less later and you're whooshing out of the harbour.