Old 12 May 2017, 05:12   #1

Length: 3m +
Downsizing to smaller SIB

Hi everyone,

3 years ago I got a 3.8m seamax inflatable with a 9.9 2-stroke and alu floor after lurking here quite a bit. It ended up being a very nice size for my wife and I to go fishing in.

My situation has now changed, I injured my back last year (herniated disc) and I have a very hard time lifting the main bag in/out of the car as it weighs almost 140 pounds. I'm therefore shopping for a smaller, lighter boat. (trailering is not an option - we live in an apartment).

Use is mostly for myself, sometimes with my wife, although on occasion it would be nice to take some family members along for a day of putt-putting around. This would mean 4 people and a toddler. Planing would not be expected in this instance. We live in Vancouver, Canada so we use it in sheltered coastal inlets, on rivers and small/medium lakes.

Is cramming 4 1/2 adults onto a 3.1-3.3 meter boat realistic, for occasional use? I'm wondering if it should even factor into my decision. If that many bodies means pushing it, getting wetter and having a generally unpleasant experience, then I'd solely shop for a boat for 2 people max and go for something even lighter. If I got a 2.9m boat I figure I could get away with a 2-stroke 8hp that would be easier on my back.

So... What do you recommend for my use, ribnet?

-3.3m size, keep the 9.9 (possibly upgrade to a 2-stroke 15 of the same weight) and be able to occasionally take extra passengers,

or

-2.9-3.1m size, sell 9.9 and replace with 8hp and have a 1-2 person only boat?

Thanks, any ideas or thoughts that might help me decide are welcome.
G
Old 13 May 2017, 18:32   #2

Town: Retford
Boat name: Spy-sea-one
Make: Excel 435
Length: 4m +
Engine: Suzuki Outboard/25/4
RIBase
Hi bud have a look at takakat designed in Newzeland light weight perform with low HP very stable a bit expensive I think but if it fits the bill
Old 22 May 2017, 20:41   #3

Town: Derby
Make: Bombard Aerotec
Length: no boat
How about a Bombard Aerotec, 3.8m and 42kg?

Tags
sib