Old 19 September 2016, 09:03   #1

Town: Birmingham
Boat name: Grey Reef
Make: Smartwave
Length: 3m +
Engine: Tohatsu MFS20E EPTL
Bought an engine, now to think about a boat

So, after a good few years off the water I finally took a step back into the fold and bought an engine this weekend. Picked up a clean well maintained 20hp Mariner 4 stroke, complete with a stand and 5 gallon tank.

Looking forward to the next step which will be the boat. Have been thinking about a Vanguard but I'm now leaning towards a Honwave T40 AE as I hear it's lighter and seems to get better press.
Old 19 September 2016, 09:57   #2

Town: Cambridgeshire
Boat name: Nimrod II
Make: Aerotec 380
Engine: Yam 15 Tohatsu 9.8
I assume you mean the Excel Vanguard? If you take the nearest Vanguard... the 395... to the T40AE the Vanguard is 11kg lighter according to makers spec. However they are both heavy SIBs if you are doing a daily inflate... or are you using a trailer?

The Honwave has a slightly better ownership/resale reputation but in truth there's not much in it so you could choose on the deal available... colour... fittings... personal preference etc.
Old 19 September 2016, 10:25   #3

Interesting, I hadn't realised that the T40 was more closely comparable with the XDH395, as I've been thinking more about the 435 instead.

At some point I'd like to get a bunked trailer and tow already inflated but for the time being I suspect that it'll either be in the back of my bus or maybe stowed in a small box trailer once I get a tow bar fitted.
Old 19 September 2016, 10:36   #4

Town: Cambridgeshire
Boat name: Nimrod II
Make: Aerotec 380
Engine: Yam 15 Tohatsu 9.8
Sorry didn't realise you were looking at the Vanguard 435... well that's only 9kg more for a useful amount of extra length... assuming you need the length. These are getting to be more trailed/adventure type SIBs rather than a daily inflate/day out situation.

I think building them up and dismantling daily will be a bit of a faff.... pretty sure getting either onto a minibus roof will take some effort.

From Birmingham where will you get to the nearest sea and how will you launch... beach or slipway... makes a big difference to how much weight/size can be easily managed? Do you want to carry so many folks you need these SIB sizes?
Old 19 September 2016, 10:50   #5

Bought an engine, now to think about a boat

We holiday in the south west at least once or twice per year so it would be used then mainly. We tend to stick to St Ives or Padstow or thereabouts but I'm rather keen to get exploring some of the estuaries on the south coast more, such as the Roseland/St Mawes, Salcombe and the like.

In the past we used to beach launch but I dare say these days I'd probably need to concentrate on using local harbours and slips instead. I spoke to the harbour master in St Ives in July and he quoted £97 for a visitor berth and unlimited launching for a week, which I thought wasn't too bad.

Meant to add, there's normally 3 adults and 2 little kids but often we'd just be me and my grown up son using it.
Old 20 September 2016, 11:24   #6

Town: Cornwall, UK
Make: Quicksilver 430HD
Length: 4m +
Engine: Mariner 20Hp 4s
I live on the south coast and all summer have been launching our 430 quicksilver out of Fowey and spending much time in St Austell bay. Loads of beaches and marine life and even in the height of summer it was no real issue getting the boat in and out of Fowey. We do use a trailer and can be on the water in under 30min from home but you could do it without a trailer.

Its my home turf and superb and relatively safe to explore in a SIB. I will have to upload some photos in a bit.
Old 20 September 2016, 13:04   #7

Yes, pictures of your adventures/experiences would be great.
Old 20 September 2016, 16:15   #8

Town: Cornwall, UK
Make: Quicksilver 430HD
Length: 4m +
Engine: Mariner 20Hp 4s
There are plenty of coves away from the popular spots and there are a couple here on this hastily thrown together photobucket slideshow. I hope it inspires.

SIB Photobucket
Old 21 September 2016, 11:54   #9

Pics looks great.

Took the plunge (no pun intended) and ordered a Honwave T4 AE, along with matching launch wheels, bow bag and seat bag this morning. Got the whole lot for £1231 delivered, which I thought was a pretty decent price. Had been toying with the idea of an Excel XDH 395 but picked the 'wave because (A) it is better looking in my opinion (and has bigger tubes), and (B) it's a lot cheaper (and I've heard of Honda), although I dare say that Honda probably don't actually make them!?!?!

Old 21 September 2016, 15:22   #10

Town: Sticks, N.Yorks
Boat name: Tamanco
Make: Honwave 3.5AE
Engine: Tohatsu Outboard
Good choice, we love ours.