Old 27 July 2017, 09:14   #1

Town: Carterton, Oxon
Boat name: Trigger's Broom
Make: FRib
Length: 4m +
Engine: Suzuki 15hp 2/s
Send a message via Yahoo to Noddy
Bombard Aerotech 380

I am still agonising as to whether I am going to buy a new or used 380.
I can just about run to getting a new one but can I justify it?
There appear to be some really good second hand ones on the market but equally there are some not so good ones!!
Can anyone tell me if the design has changed much over what must be nearly 20 years of manufacturing? Also there seem to have been problems with early models over the quality of glueing also other problems as late as last year with some?
Any info will be gratefully received - the cheapest new atm appears to be Pennine Marine - anyone had any experience of them?
Old 27 July 2017, 10:07   #2

Make: Destroyer 5.5/Ring18
Length: 3m +
Engine: Yam 90HP/Yam200HP
Fenlander is the Bombard/Zodiac guru [emoji106]
Old 27 July 2017, 10:09   #3

Town: Cambridgeshire
Boat name: Nimrod II
Make: Aerotec 380
Engine: Yam 15 Tohatsu 9.8
Appreciate that 69cmw... I just know what I know and don't step outside that!

>>>I am still agonising as to whether I am going to buy a new or used 380. I can just about run to getting a new one but can I justify it?

Noddy stick with this longish post as most of what you need is below...

I was in a similar shall I/shan't I position to you in 2015. Been boating for 55yrs since a toddler and using smallcraft for the past 30yrs... SIBs for the past 10yrs.

Joined the forum 7yrs ago and so many times a small band of Aerotec owning members would say one would be the best SIB for my use. Well I had to resist for a while as Mrs Fenlander had a joint problem that made it risky for her to step onto a sloped floor and I was also worried about how the dog would find it plus how to stow the (excess!) kit we carry.

But an op for Mrs F resolved the main issue so early 2015 I decided to trial an Aerotec for our use by buying a sub £400 example with a few glue issues. Made the repairs and took it to Scotland for our two weeks holiday.... along with our existing flat air floor Zodiac so we had a direct comparison side by side with the same motor.

Within minutes of using the Aerotec we knew it held significant advantages for us and we'd already decided to buy a new one if that were the case. At that time Zodiac had stopped production due to financial issues with no certainty another Aerotec would be made. So we scoured the country to buy just about the last one in the UK... a grey 2014 showroom demo sold effectively as new at a discount price... luckily the colour was our choice.

Our reason for buying new was that we are 60 now and a new one will carry us through into our 70s... if we can keep boating that long.

We have never regretted the choice and there is no SIB on the market with a combination of attributes that would be better for our use.

Regarding age related differences.... the most important factor is that the performance of the earliest and very latest is no different. There are loads of detail changes though.

In keeping with many SIBs the cones are now shorter... so really its a Bombard 365 or thereabouts.

Confusingly they changed the bump strip for a better one around 2014 (doubled up lip) which was black/white without the blue stripe of the earlier one... but then randomly went back to the old one. Not sure what a 2017 would be like.

Paddles are now a telescopic type and there are no stowage loops on the tubes for them which there were on the earliest years.

There are some minor detail construction changes such as the seat and bow bag attachments being welded rather than glued. Nothing significant and the welded tubes with glued in floor and transom remains the same.

For the last few years the valves have been the latest Zodiac type which are push and click to open rather than the older push and twist. They have also deleted the little tabs of material that gave the tube pressures which the older ones had. The floor still has these by the valves though.

The older seats were rectangular but the newest are made to a slight taper to fit the shape of the tubes at that point.

The biggest and most important change for me is that around 2010-2012 or so the floor material changed from the near impossible to clean gritty texture to a smoother wipe clean... it's still grippy enough to stand on though. Trust me this is a huge improvement as the old floors could look 10yrs old from their first muddy trip out.
Old 27 July 2017, 10:21   #4

brilliant - thankyou Fenlander.
Am in the same age bracket as yourself with most of the same issues - Dog/Wife Etc. Sorry Wife/Dog - lol!!
I differ in the fact that I have recently downsized from larger Ribs as we have a small group of friends who have sibs and I was sick of having to anchor out and get a lift ashore. Never looked back and if you are interested in Sibbing in different places take a look at the Caravan and Camping Boat Group - So far this year we have been to Newport(Pembs), Chichester Harbour and Falmouth all great Sibbing Venues.
Old 27 July 2017, 10:26   #5

Of course the financial decision is a personal one but we looked at a 10yr ownership with a depreciation from new of about £100/yr... which could be broadly the same as buying a 10yr old one and keeping it 5yrs into the glue failure phase and selling off cheap.

Also I see in your first post you mention problems with quality of the early glue. It's not that... glued PVC has a finite life to the bond depending on exposure to heat and environmental conditions.

Office888 on here is very good on the chemical/mechanical reasons behind the glue bond failure.
Old 27 July 2017, 10:57   #6

Town: Retford
Boat name: Spy-sea-one
Make: Excel 435
Engine: Suzuki Outboard/25/4
RIBase
never had anything to do with the aerotech until this last weekend when on the scottish sib weekend and Big al had his there very impressed in every way the only thing i dont like is the V floor inside but thats easy to sort gets afrom me
Old 27 July 2017, 11:28   #7

I think they are a bit of a niche choice Jeff... but if they match your needs an excellent choice. We have got sorted with dog and stowage regarding the V floor and from the interior perspective its advantage is it gives a feeling of depth that is reassuring.

Btw glad that you held standards with the toilet tent on the Scottish trip... I'm far more southern softie and prefer my holiday en-suite to be plastered stone/brick with pictures of lighthouses... and a good extractor fan.
Old 27 July 2017, 11:33   #8

Oh you asked about Pennine Marine Noddy... I've bought from them 3 times and it was a decent experience... to be honest I've found all the major online Zodiac dealers to be OK.

As I said in a different thread do get them to assure you a new Aerotec will be a 2017 on the serial no plate.
Old 27 July 2017, 11:46   #9

Town: Retford
Boat name: Spy-sea-one
Make: Excel 435
Engine: Suzuki Outboard/25/4
RIBase
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fenlander View Post
I think they are a bit of a niche choice Jeff... but if they match your needs an excellent choice. We have got sorted with dog and stowage regarding the V floor and from the interior perspective its advantage is it gives a feeling of depth that is reassuring.

Btw glad that you held standards with the toilet tent on the Scottish trip... I'm far more southern softie and prefer my holiday en-suite to be plastered stone/brick with pictures of lighthouses... and a good extractor fan.
well it did everything everyone else did with their boats it does cut water better too not so much splash in the chop very fast with the 25 tohatsu on the back, two suppliers i know are central marine services & ron hale marine for info.

you're right re the toilet my days of hovering are over and nothing better than sat there with a lovely view to admire when youre dropping the kids off at the pool environmentally i was spot on, i took nothing but pictures and left nothing but footsteps
Old 27 July 2017, 11:59   #10

Town: Southampton
Make: avon adventure 4.5
Engine: 50hp e-tec
my aerotec was an amazing, amazing boat. until the transom fell off in the solent. on the same day another solent boater had the same thing happen to his aerotec. both of the boats in question got the owners home safe with a bit of rigging up to make them safe, but i am very glad i didnt have children etc with me as it could have been pretty scary.

I would happily buy another, but i wouldnt buy an older one, and I would watch the glued bits like a hawk. BUT - I was always very boat proud and kept it clean (a good way to spot problems before they become big issues) and I didnt see the glue letting go at all until it did.... it only cost 300 ish to get rib shop to fully repair the problem, so the boat has found a new lease of life.

a good alternative that many on here like that doesnt appear to have the same glue issues is the honwave airdeck - just make sure not to get the 4m long one as its deck can make the engine cavitate due to the design not being quite as good as the aerotec. the smaller ones are excellent.
Old 27 July 2017, 13:13   #11

Town: kingsbridge
Make: ring 18
Length: 5m +
Engine: 140 tohatsu
I've got a very smart bombard commando for sale if interested!
Old 27 July 2017, 15:14   #12

what are the folded up dimensions Henners115?
Old 27 July 2017, 15:34   #13

Town: kingsbridge
Make: ring 18
Engine: 140 tohatsu
I can't answer that sorry - its a 3.8 bombard commando, currently on a trailer with a suzuki outboard df15 - it can be packed up into a boot of estate car
Old 27 July 2017, 18:01   #14

I keep a folder of nerdy SIB info...

As a baseline for comparison Aerotec 43kg and 105 x 70 x 38.

Bombard C3 98.2kg in two bags... 115 x 56 x 31 + 100 x 56 x 15
Old 27 July 2017, 19:57   #15

Town: teesside
Boat name: magic
Make: humber 5.5
Engine: mariner 115
MMSI: 232012453
massive and heavy then