Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
 
Old 21 August 2016, 08:11   #1
Member
 
Country: Sweden
Length: under 3m
Join Date: Aug 2016
Posts: 2
boat wonīt fully inflate

i have this boat https://www.maritim.no/maritim-pvc-g...c#.V7morCiLSUk (itīs the same as a silver marine) and when i plug in the pump it starts leaking out alot of air and as a result of that i cant fully inflate it. the valve looks like this https://www.maritim.no/maritim-venti...r#.V7moDiiLSUk the adapter to the pump looks like this http://i.ebayimg.com/images/g/lukAAO...W-n/s-l300.jpg any ideas?
__________________

__________________
omikron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 August 2016, 08:34   #2
RIBnet supporter
 
jambo's Avatar
 
Country: UK - Scotland
Town: Girvan & Tayvallich
Boat name: Breawatch
Make: Ribcraft
Length: 5m +
Engine: Mercury 150 F/stroke
MMSI: ex directory!!
Join Date: Sep 2008
Posts: 5,723
RIBase
Hi I had same problem with my valves. they are Halkey Roberts and the only adapter that worked was the ones on ebay. Hope they work.

1X Inflatable Boat Kayak Air Pump Halkey-Roberts HR Hose H-R Valve Adapter White | eBay
__________________
jambo
'Carpe Diem'
Member of the ebay Blue RIB cover club
Member of SABS ( Scottish West Division)
jambo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 August 2016, 10:13   #3
Member
 
Country: UK - England
Make: Aerotec 380
Length: 3m +
Engine: Johnson15 2 stroke
Join Date: Jul 2014
Posts: 39
Quote:
Originally Posted by omikron View Post
i have this boat https://www.maritim.no/maritim-pvc-g...c#.V7morCiLSUk (itīs the same as a silver marine) and when i plug in the pump it starts leaking out alot of air and as a result of that i cant fully inflate it. the valve looks like this https://www.maritim.no/maritim-venti...r#.V7moDiiLSUk the adapter to the pump looks like this http://i.ebayimg.com/images/g/lukAAO...W-n/s-l300.jpg any ideas?
On my Halkey Roberts type of valve the adaptor with the bayonet fitting that you show, doesn't open the valve when it is plugged in and turned. So you shouldn't be losing air just by plugging in the adaptor.
There are two positions for the valve - open and closed.
To begin with I pumped up the tubes with the valve open - do this by turning the centre of the valve (yellow and about 6mm diameter on mine)through 90 degrees. Once the tubes are nearly up to pressure the adaptor is removed, you lose a bit of air, but turn the valve through 90 degrees to close it. Then continue pumping against the closed valve and the pump pressure should push past the valve. When you remove the adaptor this time no air will escape.
Check you have enough rubber or cork washers on the adaptor to give a good seal, so when you turn the adaptor to lock on, the washer compresses a little.

I don't know if there are more sophisticated adaptors that open and close the valve but most of the ones I've tried work fine if the thickness of washer makes a good seal on the valve. Hope that helps!
__________________
Sailpower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 August 2016, 10:30   #4
Member
 
beerbelly's Avatar
 
Country: UK - England
Town: teesside
Make: osprey eagle
Length: 5m +
Engine: yamaha 130
MMSI: 232008076
Join Date: Apr 2014
Posts: 796
you haven't got the valves locked open have you
__________________
beerbelly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 August 2016, 10:55   #5
RIBnet supporter
 
jambo's Avatar
 
Country: UK - Scotland
Town: Girvan & Tayvallich
Boat name: Breawatch
Make: Ribcraft
Length: 5m +
Engine: Mercury 150 F/stroke
MMSI: ex directory!!
Join Date: Sep 2008
Posts: 5,723
RIBase
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sailpower View Post
On my Halkey Roberts type of valve the adaptor with the bayonet fitting that you show, doesn't open the valve when it is plugged in and turned. So you shouldn't be losing air just by plugging in the adaptor.
There are two positions for the valve - open and closed.
To begin with I pumped up the tubes with the valve open - do this by turning the centre of the valve (yellow and about 6mm diameter on mine)through 90 degrees. Once the tubes are nearly up to pressure the adaptor is removed, you lose a bit of air, but turn the valve through 90 degrees to close it. Then continue pumping against the closed valve and the pump pressure should push past the valve. When you remove the adaptor this time no air will escape.
Check you have enough rubber or cork washers on the adaptor to give a good seal, so when you turn the adaptor to lock on, the washer compresses a little.

I don't know if there are more sophisticated adaptors that open and close the valve but most of the ones I've tried work fine if the thickness of washer makes a good seal on the valve. Hope that helps!

That's why I had to use the ones I linked you don't need too touch the valves


Sent from my iPhone using RIB Net
__________________
jambo
'Carpe Diem'
Member of the ebay Blue RIB cover club
Member of SABS ( Scottish West Division)
jambo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 August 2016, 11:09   #6
Member
 
Country: UK - England
Make: Aerotec 380
Length: 3m +
Engine: Johnson15 2 stroke
Join Date: Jul 2014
Posts: 39
Quote:
Originally Posted by jambo View Post
That's why I had to use the ones I linked you don't need too touch the valves


Sent from my iPhone using RIB Net
But don't you still have to manually open or close the valves?
I can't see any mechanism on the one linked to, which would turn the knurled centre to open or close the valve - unless you inflate against the closed valve from the start? It looks identical to the ones I use except I had a variety of washer thicknesses to get a good seal.

In any event, if the OP is getting air escaping it would be between the adaptor and the valve. Once the adaptor is securely linked and sealed to the valve there can't be any way of air escaping other than through the hose or the pump, imho.

EDIT
Sorry, followed the OP link to the adaptor. I see how the white adaptor in your link opens the valve, but that still doesn't explain the air loss during inflation. It would make the process a lot easier though!
__________________
Sailpower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 August 2016, 11:47   #7
RIBnet supporter
 
jambo's Avatar
 
Country: UK - Scotland
Town: Girvan & Tayvallich
Boat name: Breawatch
Make: Ribcraft
Length: 5m +
Engine: Mercury 150 F/stroke
MMSI: ex directory!!
Join Date: Sep 2008
Posts: 5,723
RIBase
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sailpower View Post
But don't you still have to manually open or close the valves?
I can't see any mechanism on the one linked to, which would turn the knurled centre to open or close the valve - unless you inflate against the closed valve from the start? It looks identical to the ones I use except I had a variety of washer thicknesses to get a good seal.

In any event, if the OP is getting air escaping it would be between the adaptor and the valve. Once the adaptor is securely linked and sealed to the valve there can't be any way of air escaping other than through the hose or the pump, imho.

EDIT
Sorry, followed the OP link to the adaptor. I see how the white adaptor in your link opens the valve, but that still doesn't explain the air loss during inflation. It would make the process a lot easier though!

No worries mate. I tried the one he had but the design just didn't engage properly to open and seal. But the ones with the tongue did the job and I have no problem. There are two types of HR valves the ones you describe and the ones that don't have the turning centre like mine and that's why you need the tongues to open the valve. Cheers J


Sent from my iPhone using RIB Net
__________________
jambo
'Carpe Diem'
Member of the ebay Blue RIB cover club
Member of SABS ( Scottish West Division)
jambo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 August 2016, 12:18   #8
Member
 
Country: Sweden
Length: under 3m
Join Date: Aug 2016
Posts: 2
thanks for the suggestions i will try them this weekend
__________________
omikron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 August 2016, 12:28   #9
Member
 
paddlers's Avatar
 
Country: UK - England
Town: Sticks, N.Yorks
Boat name: Tamanco
Make: Honwave 3.5AE
Length: 3m +
Engine: Tohatsu Outboard
Join Date: May 2012
Posts: 1,059
Jambo's spot on. My Honwave adapter wouldn't blow up my Blue Wave (inexpensive Chinese) due to lacking the lugs . Never tried the other way as the lugs on mine looked a bit frail.
__________________
paddlers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 August 2016, 13:08   #10
RIBnet supporter
 
jambo's Avatar
 
Country: UK - Scotland
Town: Girvan & Tayvallich
Boat name: Breawatch
Make: Ribcraft
Length: 5m +
Engine: Mercury 150 F/stroke
MMSI: ex directory!!
Join Date: Sep 2008
Posts: 5,723
RIBase
Quote:
Originally Posted by paddlers View Post
Jambo's spot on. My Honwave adapter wouldn't blow up my Blue Wave (inexpensive Chinese) due to lacking the lugs . Never tried the other way as the lugs on mine looked a bit frail.

Spot on padders my tender is Chinese hence the difficulty 👍


Sent from my iPhone using RIB Net
__________________
jambo
'Carpe Diem'
Member of the ebay Blue RIB cover club
Member of SABS ( Scottish West Division)
jambo is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off




Our Communities

Our communities encompass many different hobbies and interests, but each one is built on friendly, intelligent membership.

» More about our Communities

Automotive Communities

Our Automotive communities encompass many different makes and models. From U.S. domestics to European Saloons.

» More about our Automotive Communities

Marine Communities

Our Marine websites focus on Cruising and Sailing Vessels, including forums and the largest cruising Wiki project on the web today.

» More about our Marine Communities


Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 17:26.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.