Old 21 August 2016, 13:11   #1

Length: under 3m
boat won´t fully inflate

i have this boat https://www.maritim.no/maritim-pvc-g...c#.V7morCiLSUk (it´s the same as a silver marine) and when i plug in the pump it starts leaking out alot of air and as a result of that i cant fully inflate it. the valve looks like this https://www.maritim.no/maritim-venti...r#.V7moDiiLSUk the adapter to the pump looks like this http://i.ebayimg.com/images/g/lukAAO...W-n/s-l300.jpg any ideas?
Old 21 August 2016, 13:34   #2

Town: Girvan & Tayvallich
Boat name: Breawatch
Make: Ribcraft
Length: 5m +
Engine: Mercury 150 F/stroke
MMSI: ex directory!!
RIBase
Hi I had same problem with my valves. they are Halkey Roberts and the only adapter that worked was the ones on ebay. Hope they work.

1X Inflatable Boat Kayak Air Pump Halkey-Roberts HR Hose H-R Valve Adapter White | eBay
Member of SABS ( Scottish West Division)
jambo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 August 2016, 15:13   #3

Make: Aerotec 380
Length: 3m +
Engine: Mercury 15 Efi
Quote:
Originally Posted by omikron View Post
i have this boat https://www.maritim.no/maritim-pvc-g...c#.V7morCiLSUk (it´s the same as a silver marine) and when i plug in the pump it starts leaking out alot of air and as a result of that i cant fully inflate it. the valve looks like this https://www.maritim.no/maritim-venti...r#.V7moDiiLSUk the adapter to the pump looks like this http://i.ebayimg.com/images/g/lukAAO...W-n/s-l300.jpg any ideas?
On my Halkey Roberts type of valve the adaptor with the bayonet fitting that you show, doesn't open the valve when it is plugged in and turned. So you shouldn't be losing air just by plugging in the adaptor.
There are two positions for the valve - open and closed.
To begin with I pumped up the tubes with the valve open - do this by turning the centre of the valve (yellow and about 6mm diameter on mine)through 90 degrees. Once the tubes are nearly up to pressure the adaptor is removed, you lose a bit of air, but turn the valve through 90 degrees to close it. Then continue pumping against the closed valve and the pump pressure should push past the valve. When you remove the adaptor this time no air will escape.
Check you have enough rubber or cork washers on the adaptor to give a good seal, so when you turn the adaptor to lock on, the washer compresses a little.

I don't know if there are more sophisticated adaptors that open and close the valve but most of the ones I've tried work fine if the thickness of washer makes a good seal on the valve. Hope that helps!
Old 21 August 2016, 15:30   #4

Town: teesside
Boat name: magic
Make: humber 5.5
Engine: mariner 115
MMSI: 232012453
you haven't got the valves locked open have you
Old 21 August 2016, 15:55   #5

RIBase
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sailpower View Post
On my Halkey Roberts type of valve the adaptor with the bayonet fitting that you show, doesn't open the valve when it is plugged in and turned. So you shouldn't be losing air just by plugging in the adaptor.
There are two positions for the valve - open and closed.
To begin with I pumped up the tubes with the valve open - do this by turning the centre of the valve (yellow and about 6mm diameter on mine)through 90 degrees. Once the tubes are nearly up to pressure the adaptor is removed, you lose a bit of air, but turn the valve through 90 degrees to close it. Then continue pumping against the closed valve and the pump pressure should push past the valve. When you remove the adaptor this time no air will escape.
Check you have enough rubber or cork washers on the adaptor to give a good seal, so when you turn the adaptor to lock on, the washer compresses a little.

I don't know if there are more sophisticated adaptors that open and close the valve but most of the ones I've tried work fine if the thickness of washer makes a good seal on the valve. Hope that helps!

That's why I had to use the ones I linked you don't need too touch the valves

Sent from my iPhone using RIB Net
Old 21 August 2016, 16:09   #6

Make: Aerotec 380
Engine: Mercury 15 Efi
Quote:
Originally Posted by jambo View Post
That's why I had to use the ones I linked you don't need too touch the valves

But don't you still have to manually open or close the valves?
I can't see any mechanism on the one linked to, which would turn the knurled centre to open or close the valve - unless you inflate against the closed valve from the start? It looks identical to the ones I use except I had a variety of washer thicknesses to get a good seal.

In any event, if the OP is getting air escaping it would be between the adaptor and the valve. Once the adaptor is securely linked and sealed to the valve there can't be any way of air escaping other than through the hose or the pump, imho.

EDIT
Sorry, followed the OP link to the adaptor. I see how the white adaptor in your link opens the valve, but that still doesn't explain the air loss during inflation. It would make the process a lot easier though!
Old 21 August 2016, 16:47   #7

RIBase
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sailpower View Post
But don't you still have to manually open or close the valves?
I can't see any mechanism on the one linked to, which would turn the knurled centre to open or close the valve - unless you inflate against the closed valve from the start? It looks identical to the ones I use except I had a variety of washer thicknesses to get a good seal.

In any event, if the OP is getting air escaping it would be between the adaptor and the valve. Once the adaptor is securely linked and sealed to the valve there can't be any way of air escaping other than through the hose or the pump, imho.

EDIT
Sorry, followed the OP link to the adaptor. I see how the white adaptor in your link opens the valve, but that still doesn't explain the air loss during inflation. It would make the process a lot easier though!

No worries mate. I tried the one he had but the design just didn't engage properly to open and seal. But the ones with the tongue did the job and I have no problem. There are two types of HR valves the ones you describe and the ones that don't have the turning centre like mine and that's why you need the tongues to open the valve. Cheers J

Old 21 August 2016, 17:18   #8

Length: under 3m
thanks for the suggestions i will try them this weekend
Old 21 August 2016, 17:28   #9

Town: Sticks, N.Yorks
Boat name: Tamanco
Make: Honwave 3.5AE
Engine: Tohatsu Outboard
Jambo's spot on. My Honwave adapter wouldn't blow up my Blue Wave (inexpensive Chinese) due to lacking the lugs . Never tried the other way as the lugs on mine looked a bit frail.
Old 21 August 2016, 18:08   #10

RIBase
Quote:
Originally Posted by paddlers View Post
Jambo's spot on. My Honwave adapter wouldn't blow up my Blue Wave (inexpensive Chinese) due to lacking the lugs . Never tried the other way as the lugs on mine looked a bit frail.

Spot on padders my tender is Chinese hence the difficulty 👍