Old 23 February 2016, 18:52   #21

Town: Up North and right a bit
Make: XS500/Merc340/Bic245
Length: 5m +
Engine: Mar 60/20/3.5/Hon2.3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fenlander View Post
Exactly one of those, in fact also from the same seller rtwdirectsales. There are cheaper ones on eBay but are in fact substantially smaller (8" silver wheels), although they look exactly the same. They are heavy and do not fold up though.....only a problem if your transporting by car.

I agree, much easier to pull boat along without having to lift/support the bow!
Old 24 February 2016, 19:13   #22

Town: Colorado/Arizona
Make: Saturn SD365
Length: 3m +
Engine: Suzuki 20 EFI
Have the Suzuki 20, lightest in its class. It was only about 12lbs heavier than the 9.8 Tohatsu I replaced it with. EFI is incredible, never takes more than one pull to start and no choke to mess with. Been told by several people that it is the quietest the have heard at idle. Stingy on fuel. Cant buy new two strokes in the US.
Old 25 February 2016, 07:06   #23

Town: Cambridge
Boat name: SIBylle
Make: Honda Honwave
Engine: Honda BF20
MMSI: 235915576
Good work David, hope that new engine brings you many new adventures.

After a week's hell (work) in Barcelona I'm hoping to get out from West Mersea early next week, possibly Monday, and continue the Honda engine run-in.
Old 25 February 2016, 07:28   #24

Town: Cambridgeshire
Boat name: Nimrod II
Make: Aerotec 380
Engine: Yam 15 Tohatsu 9.8
Thanks for that thumbs up for the Suzuki Chopperbill... everyone has given good feedback about this engine so far which is very promising.

Cheers Stig. Part of my choosing stress was the Honda vs Suzuki consideration. Had they been level prices it would have been a very close call as I've had a lot of success with Honda cars, mowers, hedgecutters etc in the past.

As a stand alone deal the Honda was £125 more... a worthwhile but not totally deciding factor. I did go carb or EFI... carb or EFI a few times but thought if going to my first modern motor I shouldn't be scared of injectors. Then a final small detail tipped it for me. The Aerotec is prone to the transom splash you may have read about and the upper secondary cav type plate was quite large on the Suzuki but really small on the Honda so I thought the Honda may splash more.

I made Richard in the shop work hard for the deal with many emails, spec queries, prop pitch discussions etc but he was very patient and put a lot of work into finding stock when the usual Suzuki UK channel was unable to supply.

Fingers crossed they are OK with servicing and (unlikely I hope) any warranty work.

Hope you manage a trip from Mersea... you will either agree how suitable it is or perhaps not like it... but well worth trying at least once. It's where I'll run in the Suzuki starting in the channels back to the Strood and then over to Brightlingsea for the faster work.
Old 25 February 2016, 07:33   #25

Town: Sussex
Boat name: Bombard
Make: Aerotec 380
Engine: Mercury Mariner 15hp
Will look forward to your report David. (PS: emailed to your PM as too long!)