Old 05 July 2017, 16:04   #1

Town: Cambridgeshire
Boat name: Nimrod II
Make: Aerotec 380
Length: 3m +
Engine: Yam 15 Tohatsu 9.8
Beaches to visit Teignmouth to Brixham

Off for Devon before too long and there seem to be quite a few beaches to visit between Teignmouth and Brixham. Anyone know which ones are boat friendly (with dog) to pull up for an hour or two?

(I've sussed the Teignmouth and Shaldon ones).
Old 05 July 2017, 21:04   #2

Town: TEIGNMOUTH
Boat name: Little Nelly
Make: Honwave T40
Length: 4m +
Engine: Suzuki 25HP
There are a few small coves and beaches along the way, but its really not that great a distance between The Muff and Brixham, especially if you go straight across Torbay from Thatchers Rock.

One of my fav beaches is going the opposite direction. Go towards Exmouth and go up the Exe. Keep left and go along for 1/2 mile or so. Theres a nice long stretch of very quiet beach that is basically the back of Dawlish Warren.
Old 05 July 2017, 21:22   #3

Ahh thank you... but isn't the Exe entrance even worse than Teignmouth?
Old 06 July 2017, 06:33   #4

It can get bumpy. But its far wider and on slack tide is fine.
Old 08 July 2017, 09:23   #5

Town: London
Make: Aerotec 3.8
Engine: Mercury T/S 15hp
I was having a look to set you a challenge of lunch at the Anchor Inn slip is here: https://goo.gl/maps/wXHoeGU2KrT2at Starcross (you'd need a spring tide for the slip) then found this website Exepert - The Exe Estuary User's Guide: Estuary Locations and Guides quite handy for the Exe and if you did make it that way then Topsham which is lovely looks an easier spot to land

On the way from Teignmouth to the Exe I noticed this place https://goo.gl/maps/oyzLpHVkuex doesn't look like much of note but might be handy, not used it myself. I've launched my laser years ago from Dawlish itself, my cousin assured me it was a legitimate launch spot I think this is it https://goo.gl/maps/uAsLEEruxMB2 being Dawlish it'll be busy with holiday makers so maybe not ideal

You might find beaches around that way have buoyed areas with channels for powered vehicles to operate swimmers etc (yellow buoys around Ness Beach https://goo.gl/maps/WdrW215HVKm) Can't see the buoys on Google maps but they were there last year

Going out from The Teign estuary and turning right - use the channel markers to go out from the channel heading left and then swing around right. You could use your sounder to cut across, I've always given it a wide berth as a local friend lost his friend on that headland from a rogue wave, wind/swell/tide state/sea contour all combining factors it seemed. I've never felt in harms way and have seen locals in hard open boats having a mooch about with fishing rods

You might want to try Maidencombe beach https://goo.gl/maps/hPP4FvKs32v although looking into that I found this By Laws - Boats and Yachts for Sale Torquay Devon Uk – Dolphin Diving so maybe you need approval first? Nice little beach anyway

On my travels I noticed a few coves that may make a landing possible this might be one https://goo.gl/maps/jDCVhMz2VQo sorry so vague I need more time off work so I can explore more! After that cove is Watcombe beach and after that is Oddicombe/Babbacombe. The former is likely to have a launch area for powered craft (generally jet skis) you could ring The Cary Arms https://www.caryarms.co.uk at Babbacombe and ask if they have (or can see) a pontoon out https://goo.gl/maps/a6GujKpqzZy

You've got Redgate beach which again is unknown for landing but looks possible, Ansteys Cove after that is rocky so not for landing, pretty to look at though. You'll go past Hopes Nose next past Thatchers Rock and could head across the bay to Berry Head/Brixham or stop in Torquay Harbour for a break

River Dart is Dittisham for an easy pub based SIB friendly stop / base for the river

Look forward to hearing if you manage to fill in any of the knowledge gaps above
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	2017-07-08 08.53.34.jpg
Views:	177
Size:	81.8 KB
ID:	120526  
Old 08 July 2017, 09:50   #6

Thank you so much for the info. We're having a recovery day today after a very busy period leading up to the holiday and the travel itself. Going to take zoom camera and binocs to the Ness car park in a moment to watch the ebb at the estuary mouth before we have lunch. Then a visit to the Teignmouth lifeboat fun day this afternoon... we'll pay in a bit just in case we need them.

The slip adj the cottage seems to be HW +/- 3hrs before it gets too far/muddy to be fun so that's not too bad.

Probably set the Aerotec up Sunday... seems next week will be quite settled with acceptable winds and 20deg or so which will do us fine for boating.
Old 08 July 2017, 09:51   #7

Town: Gloucester
Boat name: Lunasea
Make: Ribcraft
Length: 5m +
Engine: Suzi 140
MMSI: 232005050
Heading out of the Teign beforeTorbay

There are beaches at Labrador, Maidendcombe, Babbacombe (Oddicoombe) Anstey Cove and Hope Cove.

Within Torbay there's Broadsands, and my favourites, Elberry Cove, and Fishcombe Cove.

Between Brixham & Dartomouth Scabbacombe is a great beach to acces by boat
Old 08 July 2017, 09:51   #8

Take the ferry between Shaldon and Teignmouth. Its a great way of getting across!
Old 09 July 2017, 11:15   #9

Boat name: Bluefin
Engine: 150hp
MMSI: Ex Directory
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yabadabadoo View Post

You might find beaches around that way have buoyed areas with channels for powered vehicles to operate swimmers etc (yellow buoys around Ness Beach https://goo.gl/maps/WdrW215HVKm) Can't see the buoys on Google maps but they were there last year

Going out from The Teign estuary and turning right - use the channel markers to go out from the channel heading left and then swing around right. You could use your sounder to cut across, I've always given it a wide berth as a local friend lost his friend on that headland from a rogue wave, wind/swell/tide state/sea contour all combining factors it seemed. I've never felt in harms way and have seen locals in hard open boats having a mooch about with fishing rods
I dont think there is a buoyed channel into ness beach, however, many locals land on the beach, you just gotta go slow and be careful once past the swimmer protection buoys. I landed on there yesterday to pick up the grandson for some fishing

The port hand channel markers are there to protect you from the Pole Sand and the East Pole sand ............... it is OK to cross them with a shallow draft boat on all tides apart from low tide on med/high springs. You will often see me bass fishing in that area.

A good beach to visit between Teignmouth and Dawlish is Shell cove / Horse Cove, but beware of horse cove rocks.

Click image for larger version

Name:	Image2.jpg
Views:	156
Size:	179.6 KB
ID:	120535
Old 09 July 2017, 11:54   #10

Town: London
Make: Aerotec 3.8
Engine: Mercury T/S 15hp
On this pdf http://www.teignmouthharbour.com/doc...ers-guide/file there’s ‘access lanes’ shown which seems like the gaps between the swimmers protection buoys? Wonder if it was you I saw that time as I blanked - again - at Ness Beach

Good local info on the coves will have a look myself next time when down
Old 09 July 2017, 12:11   #11

gps being local (I assume) you probably see right through the Ness beach buoys. The access buoys were there yesterday about 80% along the beach towards Torbay broadly as shown on the Teign users guide. In the afternoon there was a RIB and speedboat moored just beside them.

After inflating it paddled the Aerotec around the estuary nr Ringmore (at daughters request) yesterday and motor goes on today for first trip out, to Ness beach nearer evening high tide.
Old 09 July 2017, 12:24   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fenlander View Post
gps being local (I assume) you probably see right through the Ness beach buoys. The access buoys were there yesterday about 80% along the beach towards Torbay broadly as shown on the Teign users guide. In the afternoon there was a RIB and speedboat moored just beside them.

After inflating it paddled the Aerotec around the estuary nr Ringmore (at daughters request) yesterday and motor goes on today for first trip out, to Ness beach nearer evening high tide.

Yes, very local !

I launched yesterday morning at 7:30am and came back into polly steps at 11:30am to ensure there was enough water for me to recover with ease...... you can always launch and recover from Gales Hill which is a full tide range sand slip.

By that time the slip was really busy and I guess it got worse in the afternoon ........... I tend to avoid weekends and go out mainly during the week.

A good run for you will be up the river .......... remember to cross the river following the river channel and the not so well marked buoys ........ the crossing point is about 500m past shaldon bridge at the second green buoy (starboard hand can buoy) ........ then take the starboard side of the river right up past the Combe cellars pub (on the port side) ......... cross the river again and go back to ward the pub where you can moor on the jetty.

At high tide you can get right up to newton abbot town quay, but there is not too muct to see up there. You can also get to the passage house in at high tide which is a channel on your starboard side ......... but only an hour either side of high water.

At high water you will often see boats taking a shortcut across the pole sands and straight through the ness beach swimmer protection buoys ! ...... guilty as chaged ma'lord
Old 09 July 2017, 12:31   #13

Appreciate the info. We are launching from the small slip at The Strand, Ringmore if you know it which looking at the past 36hrs seems to give us HW+/-3hrs. For family sibbing the tides are a bit of a pain this weekend. Two weeks of high tide around lunchtime would be ideal!
Old 09 July 2017, 12:43   #14

Quote:
Appreciate the info. We are launching from the small slip at The Strand, Ringmore if you know it which looking at the past 36hrs seems to give us HW+/-3hrs. For family sibbing the tides are a bit of a pain this weekend. Two weeks of high tide around lunchtime would be ideal!

Yes, know it well ........... very muddy beyond the slip !

You could always launch from Gales Hill which will give you full access on all states of the tide ............
Old 09 July 2017, 14:51   #15

Thanks. In different circumstances Gales Hill looks good but we're happy to accept the tide limitations at Ringmore for the luxury (for us) of having the sib set up for two weeks just a 30m trundle from the water. Really can't be bothered to strip it all down and car transport elsewhere.
Old 09 July 2017, 20:32   #16

Quote:
Thanks. In different circumstances Gales Hill looks good but we're happy to accept the tide limitations at Ringmore for the luxury (for us) of having the sib set up for two weeks just a 30m trundle from the water. Really can't be bothered to strip it all down and car transport elsewhere.

Yes, I can well see your point !.............

Whilst you are down here, use the waverider buoy for the current sea state ........ all times GMT

Channel Coastal Observatory - Real time data

Generally anything East over a F4 is a no go .......... however, keep a close eye on a southerly as we often get wind over tide with a very nasty short chop.......... last Tuesday was a good example, I went out in a flat sea and came back in .75m waves that were 1.5secs apart ....

A NE wind on a egging spring gives some interesting conditions in the river mouth for about 200m .......
Old 09 July 2017, 21:44   #17

I forgot to add to the above ..........

Local actual weather here ..............Teignmouth NCI - Live Weather at Eastcliff

and web cams here ...........Teignmouth NCI - Dual Live Webcams at Eastcliff

more weather here ............ http://www.metoffice.gov.uk/public/w...cast/gbvx89cv5
Old 10 July 2017, 12:23   #18

Thanks again for really interesting links. That webcam is great for looking at current sea state... which you have no idea of 15mins up the estuary. Wave buoy interesting too... 3.4m waves this Feb... that would have been a challenge for many craft.

And the weather data clocks from Eastcliff... that's sorted me for a holiday activity... sit and watch them on the laptop.
Old 10 July 2017, 12:46   #19

I didnt see you out there at 7:30 this morning ........... the estuary was mirror calm.
Old 10 July 2017, 14:17   #20

Ha we are having a very well deserved lazy time this holiday so the early tide will have to roll on a couple of hours before we get out with it.