Old 11 April 2009, 14:43   #1

Length: 4m +
Avon w400 porous floor?

I have an old avon w400 and I think the floor is becoming porous, I have been told you can buy paint to reseal and was wondering if it works. The stuff I have in mind is called polymarine flexithane. Any advice or tips would be greatly appreciated. Thanks
Old 11 April 2009, 16:16   #2

Town: yorkshire
Boat name: little vicky
Make: avon ex RNLI
Length: 3m +
Engine: tohatsu
yes i have used a similar brand for a few boats HUMBER and AVONS,its not all that hard but as everything else preperation is paramount ,i have found its ok with a brush using short strokes as it drags a little ,but you will need to rub the surface down lightly first with medium grit paper and its best to stick any loose patches too ,it goes touch dry about 20 mins also mask any areas you dont want it on ,if you put it on right it will look like a new boat ,and it does last years .
Old 12 April 2009, 07:35   #3

Town: Oakland CA
Wood floor? You don't want to seal moisture inside; make sure it's well dried out before you seal it again.

jky
Old 12 April 2009, 18:37   #4

Length: 4m +
Hi, thanks for the replies, its the actual material used for the hull that I think may be porous due to its age. However I have patched up afew tiny holes today. She's going back in the water tomorrow so so long as it doesn't rain for the next day or so I'll see what happens.
Old 14 April 2009, 08:34   #5

Town: yorkshire
Boat name: little vicky
Make: avon ex RNLI
Engine: tohatsu
firm i used to work for used to give me the job of looking for pin size holes in the floors of avon inflatables ,most are made whilst assembling on hard ground with people standing on the floor before fitting the deck boards,,upturn the boat ,slide underneath then under bright sunlight and it looks like the planetarium ,was a lot qicked than trying to fill with water and you can mark out the holes with masking tape,the paint is ok on holes less than 1mm any larger and its more coats .best one i ever saw was a zodiac left in on a lawn no boards in and the kids had gone around with a garden fork ,