Old 02 October 2009, 23:59   #1

Town: Connecticut
Make: Avon FRB380
Length: 3m +
Engine: Tohatsu 6hp
Avon S400 project

I'm rebuilding an Avon S400 that I picked up for a great price. Does anyone know if this model came with an inflatable bench seat? If so, does anyone know of a source for them?

Love this forum. I've already gotten lot's of great information from it. I can't wait to get this thing on the water next summer.

Thanks,
Greg
Old 03 October 2009, 09:46   #2

Town: slough
Boat name: not named yet
Make: Orkney Dory 4 metre
Length: 4m +
Engine: outboard evinrude 60
what exactly do you mean by "re-building" your avon s400 ?

Are you making new floor boards etc ?
What about the transom ? is that going to be re-newed ?

or is it just a good clean up and re-varnish of the wooden parts and fit new valve seals etc.

Ive just got one of these boats as well, not yet got it on the water but expecting some
pretty good results from it.

With mine i will be raising the transom to accept a longshaft engine, this gives more
availability and the fact that an engine i have for it is long shaft has also made me think
about the transom raising.

do your tubes keep inflated for a week or so ?

phill
Old 03 October 2009, 21:25   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by phillnjack View Post
what exactly do you mean by "re-building" your avon s400 ?

Are you making new floor boards etc ?
What about the transom ? is that going to be re-newed ?

or is it just a good clean up and re-varnish of the wooden parts and fit new valve seals etc.

Ive just got one of these boats as well, not yet got it on the water but expecting some
pretty good results from it.

With mine i will be raising the transom to accept a longshaft engine, this gives more
availability and the fact that an engine i have for it is long shaft has also made me think
about the transom raising.

do your tubes keep inflated for a week or so ?

phill
Hi Phil,

I had to give it an extensive clean up, it was really grimy from improper storage. Now it looks in great condition.

I'll be replacing some patches (only 3 patches on the entire boat), and will reglue the floor doubler in a few places. I also need to replace 2 of the valves, but I might just do all 4 while I'm at it. The transom is still solid and the attachment to the boat looks good. There are a couple of places where the fabric is lifting from the transom and I'll reglue those. There is a 3mm hole in the floor that be patched.

The transom and floor boards will get stripped, sanded, and recoated with varnish or polyurethane, whatever works best in a marine environment. Any suggestions?

I'm trying to clean up and renew the faded red bow cover also. It's looking better, but I'd like to get it back to the bright red color it was originally.

Despite the loose patches and a couple of bad valves, the boat's tubes stay inflated firm after a week. Not bad considering its age. The keel tube holds air well also. I soaped all the seams and they are still very air tight, better than a couple of Avon Redcrest and Redseal dinghies I have.

I'm missing the stringers for the floor boards, so I'm on the hunt for them.

Does your S400 have an inflatable bench seat? I'm trying to find one for my boat, assuming they used them on this model.

Do you have some photos of your boat, especially the floor boards? I'd like to use them as a check so I know what parts I still need.

Let me know how your work progresses. I will post some photos of my boat as I go.

Thanks,
Greg
Old 04 October 2009, 18:00   #4

Town: Up Norf
Make: Avon SR4,Tremlett 23
Engine: Yam 55, Volvo 200
My S400 came with a red fibreglass seat which slid into two MOD style handles.
Old 08 October 2009, 04:15   #5

Town: mexico
Make: avon
Engine: 15 hp mariner 2 s
Quote:
Originally Posted by chewy View Post
My S400 came with a red fibreglass seat which slid into two MOD style handles.
Hello this is my first post i own an s 400 sportboat and the floor ís complete and original i have seen some 80s models and find some diferents to mine 1969 i will send you some photos of the side battens, but in this moment i dont know how to do it. one of this diferent i didnt see on some photograph in the 80s models the transom suport bars do you have them?
I live in mexico and we spek spanish i hope my enghlish is not to bad
Old 24 October 2009, 16:17   #6

Town: slough
Boat name: not named yet
Make: Orkney Dory 4 metre
Engine: outboard evinrude 60
any chance of a pic of the fibreglass seat and the handles it fits into ? Please

phill
Old 24 October 2009, 17:08   #7

I don't have any photos of them unfortunately. M Chappelow might though as he's had a few SIBs.
Old 24 October 2009, 21:00   #8

Town: yorkshire
Boat name: little vicky
Make: avon ex RNLI
Engine: tohatsu
dont know if they are any use to any of you but a few pics from the avon 1990 and 1969 brouchures,it says the s400 that it has inflatable seat retaining points ,,,no3 pic is from year 1969 red cat model at just under 4mtrs but it shows the seats that phil [chewy ]was on about .,,,,,,ps just looking at the 1969 price list £148 for a new boat ,,,those were the days ,,no lifejackets and endless summer days ,, mart
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	015.jpg
Views:	3586
Size:	56.9 KB
ID:	47058   Click image for larger version

Name:	017.jpg
Views:	908
Size:	63.0 KB
ID:	47059   Click image for larger version

Name:	019.jpg
Views:	1738
Size:	56.6 KB
ID:	47060   Click image for larger version

Name:	020.jpg
Views:	1820
Size:	55.5 KB
ID:	47061  
Old 24 October 2009, 23:59   #9

The seats had flanges on either end which were at roughly 45 degrees, these seats then went into the handle similar to these below: (picture borrowed from tidel.biz hope you don't mind)
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	MOD handle.jpg
Views:	389
Size:	11.8 KB
ID:	47079  
Old 03 March 2010, 02:29   #10

Floor material

Any idea what type of wood Avon used for the floorboards in the S400? I need to manufacture some replacement parts.
Old 09 March 2010, 17:58   #11

Make: Zodiac
Length: 6m +
Engine: Undecided
floorboards

Many of the avon floorboards were marine grade mahogany plywood.
Old 31 March 2010, 22:33   #12

floor and seat for s400

Quote:
Originally Posted by cgoing View Post
Many of the avon floorboards were marine grade mahogany plywood.
I also have the s400, 1986, with the aluminium floor and stringers and front wood board. Just in the process of redoing the front board because I think mine came from a smaller boat. It was definitely marine grade mahogany plywood.

I can send pics and specs of it.

If anyone could send me the specs on the front board of their s400, it would really be appreciated. Also, mine didn't come with any reinforcements on the floor, just the 3 aluminium boards, one front wood board, and the fixed board inside, if there were supposed to be some, can you guys tells me how many and where?

Mine also came with a hard shell seat, can send pics of those as well. It just fits down on to the rail from stringers.

I have all of the original paperwork, manuals, brochures, etc., if you guys would like me to make copies and send them to you, let me know.

Thanks!
Old 15 April 2010, 18:52   #13

Town: mexico
Make: avon
Engine: 15 hp mariner 2 s
hello

I own the original front wood board for the 1969 avon s400 i hope it still being the same measure i'll send you soon, i like you send me all the information about the s400.
thanks
Old 03 October 2010, 13:29   #14

S400 updates

Hi all,

Just thought I'd get this thread going again. I was wondering how everyone was progressing on their Avon S400 boat projects.

I've been held up by missing parts for the floor. Looks like I'll have to make them myself as I can't find them anywhere.

Budgetary issues prevented me from getting a motor for it this year, so I haven't been working on it steadily. I still have some patch work to do. I did replace all the valves as 2 of them leaked, and one was missing the inner seal. There are 3 patches on the tubes that I'll replace next. The patches don't leak but it looks like way too much glue was used on them and I expect them to peel off eventually once the boat is moving through the water.

How's everyone else doing?

Greg
Old 01 January 2012, 08:45   #15

Town: Ely
Make: Avon & Hutchinson
Just bought an old S4-00 & now starting work on it. Not bad for £40 on eBay. I was told all the wood was rotten & it had a large hole but the hole is an easy patch, it needs one hell of a clean & the wood isn't too bad. Unfortunately no floor so that needs to be made which I aim to do in 2 parts to retain strength. It's also one less place for my kids to trap their fingers.
Old 12 May 2016, 10:57   #16
FIN

Town: GLASGOW
Boat name: FIN
Make: AVON
Engine: 30 HP YAMAHA OUTBOAR
Quote:
Originally Posted by seagirlgo View Post
I also have the s400, 1986, with the aluminium floor and stringers and front wood board. Just in the process of redoing the front board because I think mine came from a smaller boat. It was definitely marine grade mahogany plywood.

I can send pics and specs of it.

If anyone could send me the specs on the front board of their s400, it would really be appreciated. Also, mine didn't come with any reinforcements on the floor, just the 3 aluminium boards, one front wood board, and the fixed board inside, if there were supposed to be some, can you guys tells me how many and where?

Mine also came with a hard shell seat, can send pics of those as well. It just fits down on to the rail from stringers.

I have all of the original paperwork, manuals, brochures, etc., if you guys would like me to make copies and send them to you, let me know.

Thanks!
hi seagirlgo I also have avon s400 I'm looking for manual for tube pressures and what is correct way for stringers to be fitted also seat spec any info would be greatly appreciated.cheer
Old 12 May 2016, 21:31   #17

Town: aintree
Boat name: megus
Make: avon s400
Engine: 20hp yamaha
hello FIN
the tube pressure is 3-3.5 psi

to fit floor first push part 1 into slot at transom then install side stringers now slide floor parts 2 and 3 into stringers angle floor up boat partially inflated the 2 bow sections angled up then fit into floor and push down, if you dont do it thsi way its an absolute pig to get floor to fit.