Old 14 April 2010, 17:19   #1

Town: gravesend
Boat name: curach/Earl
Make: seago/Lifeguard 4M
Length: under 3m
Engine: 3.3 marinar/10 hp
Attempting to Repair punctures

This is the bit im dreading,as no good with bike one's,lol,well trying to gauge it out 25 to 1 ,what do i blooming use?,bottle top,gets all sticky,just at a guess as can,t gauge it ,repair area ruffed up ,thin coat of glue on area and patch ,now waiting 30 mins ,then both one more thin coat,wait till tacky hold togeth and apply as much pressure as can ,one will have a clamp on,wish me luck ,as im following the instructions ,but i got a bad feeling about this,lol
Old 14 April 2010, 20:50   #2

Town: yorkshire
Boat name: little vicky
Make: avon ex RNLI
Length: 3m +
Engine: tohatsu
i just had an panick on too ,,lol, wife out this afternoon so decide to glue a patch that was lifting slightly,,find plastic container mix 2 pack glue ,,rough guess with hardener ,,start to mix and the container bottom dissolves and disappears...,,F,,,king hell its all over the kitchen work top !,any how i sorted it picked up first thing to hand ,,one of her best cappuccini cups and scraped it up with a fridge magnet .bet my young un grasses me up to her later this evening ,,.more important though i fixed the loose patch.
Old 14 April 2010, 23:27   #3

Boat name: Pisces
Make: Zodiac
Length: 4m +
Been there, done that lol!

I had a brainwave one day, and thought that mixing fibreglass resin up in disposable plastic cups, whilst in the kitchen, would make life easier. Afterall, it was a bloody cold winter!

Damned things nearly caught fire. No joke, they were sizzling and spewing out all kinds of noxious fumes for half an hour after I threw them outside onto the patio.

I believe the evidence is still just visible.... when you know what you are looking for.

Tee hee

https://www.vimeo.com/2701620
Sharkbyte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 April 2010, 07:02   #4

Gents you have given me a chuckle,im stitting here reading this ,should be at work and have laugthed me head off,love it,lol
Old 15 April 2010, 15:29   #5

Town: Oakland CA
Reminds me of a friend who tried to start his lawnmower. Siphoned about a quart of gasoline from a truck into a large Chinese takeout styrofoam container. At least it was when he started. A couple of seconds later, it was a blob of plasticky substance in the middle of a large pool of gasoline on the driveway.

jky
Old 15 April 2010, 20:24   #6

Town: North East
Boat name: Sarah Louise
Make: Honwave T38IE
Engine: 15 Yamaha, 8 Mariner
Out of interest, when I was pulling all the old patches of mine last weekend, the toughest to remove by a mile was a bicycle puncture repair kit patch (on hypalon).
Might be worth taking a bicycle repair kit if you take your boat on holiday, and may need to repair it quickly in less than ideal conditions.
Cheers,
Geoff
Old 15 April 2010, 21:11   #7

Town: yorkshire
Boat name: little vicky
Make: avon ex RNLI
Engine: tohatsu
Quote:
Originally Posted by Geoff_Jubb View Post
Out of interest, when I was pulling all the old patches of mine last weekend, the toughest to remove by a mile was a bicycle puncture repair kit patch (on hypalon).
Might be worth taking a bicycle repair kit if you take your boat on holiday, and may need to repair it quickly in less than ideal conditions.
Cheers,
Geoff
The slightly larger motor cycle patches or even car ones make for a more permanant job and they are sometimes better as they have chamfered edges so stops them picking up or pealing back with the force of water ,
Old 16 April 2010, 14:05   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by m chappelow View Post
The slightly larger motor cycle patches or even car ones make for a more permanant job and they are sometimes better as they have chamfered edges so stops them picking up or pealing back with the force of water ,
Ill second that,used one mate and stuck real good