Old 07 February 2012, 11:52   #1
ncp

Town: California
Make: Avon 5.4m Searider
Length: 5m +
Engine: Yamaha 90
Arancia SIB

I just picked up an old lifeguard sib. Blew it up last night, swapped out one of the valves, cleaned it up, and sprayed it down with soapy water. It holds air perfectly and the tubes are in great shape! (2 minor patches have been done)

Question: I haven't seen one change hands on rib.net and can't find any comparable sales. What are they worth new? What's the range used?

I'm debating holding into it and letting the kids use it if I can find a cheap 25/30hp or selling it to help finance some upgrades to my 7m.

Any thoughts?
Old 07 February 2012, 21:22   #2

Town: yorkshire
Boat name: little vicky
Make: avon ex RNLI
Length: 3m +
Engine: tohatsu
Quote:
Originally Posted by ncp
I just picked up an old lifeguard sib. Blew it up last night, swapped out one of the valves, cleaned it up, and sprayed it down with soapy water. It holds air perfectly and the tubes are in great shape! (2 minor patches have been done)

Question: I haven't seen one change hands on rib.net and can't find any comparable sales. What are they worth new? What's the range used?

I'm debating holding into it and letting the kids use it if I can find a cheap 25/30hp or selling it to help finance some upgrades to my 7m.

Any thoughts?
Silly question but Is it an Arancia or a lifeguard as they are separate makes or are you meaning it's as used by lifeguards,
Sorry disregard the post just noticed you live in the USA so I doubt that it will be a lifeguard boat
Old 07 February 2012, 22:10   #3
ncp

Sorry, I assumed they were one in the same.

It's one of these:
ARANCIA INDUSTRIES LTD

I assumed they were pretty widely used in the UK too:
Arancia class lifeboat - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

It seem like a very well put together little craft. All hypalon, etc. I'm finding that there aren't too many 25/30hp two-strokes out there but I will just wait until the right one shows up (since the boat was so cheap, I'm not going to spend US$2,000 on a used engine!)

Lifeguard, Surf Club, etc. same thing even though we're all speaking "english"!

Just wondering if anyone has any comments on them. I've seen them in action but never experienced one!
Old 07 February 2012, 22:30   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by ncp
Sorry, I assumed they were one in the same.

It's one of these:
ARANCIA INDUSTRIES LTD

I assumed they were pretty widely used in the UK too:
Arancia class lifeboat - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

It seem like a very well put together little craft. All hypalon, etc. I'm finding that there aren't too many 25/30hp two-strokes out there but I will just wait until the right one shows up (since the boat was so cheap, I'm not going to spend US$2,000 on a used engine!)

Lifeguard, Surf Club, etc. same thing even though we're all speaking "english"!

Just wondering if anyone has any comments on them. I've seen them in action but never experienced one!
Just there used to be a company in Ruthin North Wales called Lifeguard that made inflatables,
Arancias only experience for me was the rib version, but sib or rib versions all seem to get good feedback,
Rnli are building Arancia Rib versions in the uk now under licence for their beach and flood rescue teams.
Old 11 February 2012, 14:21   #5

Town: gravesend
Boat name: curach/Earl
Make: seago/Lifeguard 4M
Length: under 3m
Engine: 3.3 marinar/10 hp
Quote:
Originally Posted by m chappelow View Post
Just there used to be a company in Ruthin North Wales called Lifeguard that made inflatables,
Arancias only experience for me was the rib version, but sib or rib versions all seem to get good feedback,
Rnli are building Arancia Rib versions in the uk now under licence for their beach and flood rescue teams.
Just there used to be a company in Ruthin North Wales called Lifeguard that made inflatables,Got excited them thought someone else had purchased one,lol,mine is still going strong ,just crap fishing off it at the moment,lol
Old 24 January 2013, 07:34   #6

Make: Arancia
Engine: Yamaha 30D
ncp, they are about $12k for a new hull.

I own two of them.. modified for Landbased Game Fishing here in NZ.

they are actually made under licence by Lancer Industries in NZ.

I have a Yamaha 30D on mine, get about 32MPH with a 13P prop.
Old 24 January 2013, 16:01   #7
ncp

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blindspot View Post
I have a Yamaha 30D on mine, get about 32MPH with a 13P prop.
Thanks for the info.

We finally put a mid-90's 30 hp 2-stroke Merc on it. We've hit 30 mph with 3 people on it. Fun little boat.
Old 07 February 2013, 07:07   #8

ncp thats a fantastic speed!

as I mentioned I modified mine for LBG which involves gluing insertion neoprene to the front tubes and underside, here is a pic with the original Yamaha 25hp motor.

adds a bit of weight so I loose top end speed..

one of the things you should to to improve the ride is modify the floor... the newer Arancia's have a different floor layout to the older ones and it moves the flex further forward. Let me know if you want some photo's
Old 07 February 2013, 12:59   #9
ncp

Quote:
ncp thats a fantastic speed!

as I mentioned I modified mine for LBG which involves gluing insertion neoprene to the front tubes and underside, here is a pic with the original Yamaha 25hp motor.

adds a bit of weight so I loose top end speed..

one of the things you should to to improve the ride is modify the floor... the newer Arancia's have a different floor layout to the older ones and it moves the flex further forward. Let me know if you want some photo's
Sure. Let's see it. For the most part, we're pretty happy with what we have but always interested to see others.

Maiden voyage last summer:
Old 07 February 2013, 16:07   #10

Town: Oakland CA
You're just showing off your palm trees...

Nice little SIB.

jky
Old 07 February 2013, 19:39   #11

here is a good photo of the floor of a 2003 boat my friend has just purchased..

In the newer boats the front part of the floor is the same, the middle is shortened and the rear is extended by about a foot I think.

In my boat the middle and rear are about the same length and without strengthening you end up with a fair amount of flex around the middle of the boat instead of the front where it naturally curves anyway.
Old 21 February 2013, 18:33   #12
ncp

Quote:
In my boat the middle and rear are about the same length and without strengthening you end up with a fair amount of flex around the middle of the boat instead of the front where it naturally curves anyway.
Same with ours. Definitely has some flex to it but for the most part if the tubes are solidly pumped up, it's never been at issue.
Old 21 February 2013, 23:07   #13

Town: cornwall
Boat name: nothing
Make: rib eye 430
Length: 4m +
Engine: tatsu 50
MMSI: 666
Our local surf lifesaving runs 2 of them , we discovered a while ago that the older one we have has a smaller tube dia and is a little smaller than the later boat . Apart from general fooling about , they are used for IRB rescue competitions and the older/smaller one is not allowed to compete as its thought to be faster . surprised you got over 30mph from one ours has a 30hp but seems to be much slower than my small rib that does about 36 mph , maybe that 6mph seems like more when you alongside .
Certainly tough boats , i just wish the rnli would use a kilcord
Old 22 February 2013, 02:21   #14
ncp

Quote:
Originally Posted by ian parkes View Post
Surprised you got over 30mph from one ours has a 30hp but seems to be much slower than my small rib that does about 36 mph , maybe that 6mph seems like more when you alongside .
Certainly tough boats , i just wish the rnli would use a kilcord
Supposedly the 30 hp Merc we have on there was tweaked for racing. Don't really know the history. No kill cord either...we added one.
Old 22 February 2013, 02:25   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by ian parkes View Post
, i just wish the rnli would use a kilcord
Looks bad ( Do as you preach),, They just have a good throttle return spring & the throttle friction screw disabled
also the Anti - start up in gear lock mechanism is removed from the recoil starter so it Can be started up in gear without having to select neutral first should it stall out in surf.
Old 22 February 2013, 16:53   #16

Town: cornwall
Boat name: nothing
Make: rib eye 430
Engine: tatsu 50
MMSI: 666
Quote:
Originally Posted by m chappelow View Post
Looks bad ( Do as you preach),, They just have a good throttle return spring & the throttle friction screw disabled
also the Anti - start up in gear lock mechanism is removed from the recoil starter so it Can be started up in gear without having to select neutral first should it stall out in surf.
Its an idea that works well at first but after a few weeks service on the beach the throttle sticks where its left , I have lost count how many times i have seen a close call in the past couple of years , It needs revising .
Old 23 February 2013, 07:17   #17

Town: British Columbia
Make: Gemini
Engine: 40hp 2 str
Quote:
here is a good photo of the floor of a 2003 boat my friend has just purchased..
That Arancia looks to be a very well constructed SIB. One of the quickest ways of discerning high end SIBs from pool toys is by having a close look at the transom and the transom-pontoon junction.

A marine plywood transom that is at least 1.5" or more thick is one thing to look for. A transom-pontoon junction with several layers of fabric, where each successive layer overlaps the preceding layer is another very good indicator that the boat is built to last.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	00500a.jpg
Views:	301
Size:	89.2 KB
ID:	76944   Click image for larger version

Name:	P1010148.jpg
Views:	237
Size:	107.0 KB
ID:	76945  
Old 28 February 2013, 01:08   #18

I am in the process of converting an Arancia SIB to a 4mm ALU RIB. We have just removed the transom from the tubes and I can tell you it was a hell of a job... very well constructed boats.

The standard surf rescue motors for Arancia are Mercs fitted with prop guards. Obviously with the propguard they lose some topend. I have also been told that the surf rescue Merc's are tuned in a way that they dont have the same topend as a off the shelf 30 Merc.