Old 22 January 2008, 05:02   #11

Town: London
Length: 3m +
Quote:
Originally Posted by jwalker View Post
Yup, it is in degrees of the V side to the horizontal usually taken at the transom and sometimes referred to as deadrise. 25-26 is very deep. 22-24 is more common. 18 would be a bit harsh. Many hulls are not a single angle in the V so it's not entirely clear cut.
Cheers JW - now I know what deadrise means! The Larsons I was considering are 20, but the Fletchers Codprawn recommends are 24 - a much better bet for our choppy English seas.

Old 22 January 2008, 05:58   #12

Town: poole
Make: ring
Length: 5m +
Engine: 150xr2
whatever you buy have it surveyed for any structural problems, over on boatmad their have been a number of threads about people rebuilding their boats after finding some quite major rot problems and then happy boating

Old 22 January 2008, 06:43   #13

Town: swansea
Boat name: Too Blue
Make: BLANK
Length: 8m +
Engine: Suzuki DT225
You won't get a new Fletcher for that sort of money - look on boats and outboards or Ebay - plenty of older models with new engines around.
Old 22 January 2008, 07:30   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by codprawn View Post
You won't get a new Fletcher for that sort of money - look on boats and outboards or Ebay - plenty of older models with new engines around.
No - I wouldn't get a new ANYTHING for that sort of money. Would budget around 15/17k new, but still undecided about new vs. second hand...
Old 22 January 2008, 12:52   #15

Town: swansea
Boat name: Too Blue
Make: BLANK
Engine: Suzuki DT225
2nd hand that price would get you plenty of really nice boats!!! maybe even a proper rib......
Old 22 January 2008, 15:25   #16

Town: Essex
Boat name: Crooked Bow
Make: Zodiac Pro Open 550
Length: 5m +
Engine: Evinrude etec 115
If your budget is 17K then you will be able to get a new rib (~5.5M) or bow rider. For that price I have also seen 2nd hand (2-3 yrs old) Cap Camarat 625's which are great sea boats that can well handle our local conditions - I think they normally come with a 115 or 140 Suzuki in an open or closed cockpit style. White Shark (Kelt boats) are great - flared bow - foam filled hull - but generally quite pricey for a good example. If you have money to burn then go for a Boston Whaler/Verado package!!
Old 22 January 2008, 16:48   #17

Town: cornwall
Boat name: nothing
Make: rib eye 430
Length: 4m +
Engine: tatsu 50
MMSI: 666
I found that when looking for a new boat ,trying to find deadrise angles quoted etc was difficult .
In the end I found just looking at the different hullshapes of boats at the boatshow etc was the easiest thing and comparing those with a quoted figure , to others unkown.
Maybe my line of work and past experience comparing hull shapes with kayaks for years made it easier for me ,but Iam sure its not too difficult to see what has a better v shape than another .

I think also the term bowrider is a bit misleading here as it conjures up an image of a carpeted speedboat with a babe in the bow used for posing . maybe sport utilty boat is a better description of what you are looking for . ?
Old 23 January 2008, 06:27   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daveboy 71 View Post
If your budget is 17K then you will be able to get a new rib (~5.5M) or bow rider. For that price I have also seen 2nd hand (2-3 yrs old) Cap Camarat 625's which are great sea boats that can well handle our local conditions - I think they normally come with a 115 or 140 Suzuki in an open or closed cockpit style. White Shark (Kelt boats) are great - flared bow - foam filled hull - but generally quite pricey for a good example. If you have money to burn then go for a Boston Whaler/Verado package!!
FANTASTIC looking boat that CC625, Dave! Hadn't considered cuddy and bow space in this market. It's probably a bit of a big boat for a starter like me though, but will definitely keep it in mind, maybe as next boat once I've found my way around on the water.

But money to burn?? I wish - the kids make sure there's none of that!!!
Old 23 January 2008, 06:31   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by ian parkes View Post
I think also the term bowrider is a bit misleading here as it conjures up an image of a carpeted speedboat with a babe in the bow used for posing . maybe sport utilty boat is a better description of what you are looking for . ?
At my age, Ian, you're right - sport utility boat is what I'm after...but if a babe wants to come and pose in a bowrider, well...

Lordy

PS Obviously when Mrs Lordy and the kids aren't around!!
Old 23 January 2008, 07:09   #20

Town: Farnborough
Boat name: Eleven
Make: Arrow
Engine: 557cu, 700hp
I hired a Cap Camarrat 755 WA in menorca last summer with an etec 150 on the back.
It's by no means a pretty boat - nothing elegant or sleek about it, but was fabulously spacious & practical - perfect for what we wanted.
The vast bow meant a dry and forgiving ride, the girls could sunbathe on the foredeck whilst moored up, I could sit under the bimini and nod off in peace, the bathing platform & ladder made it easy to get on and off - even had a freshwater shower. Cabin size was very reasonable - could probably just about spend the night on board, or with kids on board woulda given them somwhere out of the way to play/change/eat etc.

I'm trying to remember how fast it went - I seem to remember it ran 47mph ish on the gps, which bearing in mind the smallish single motor, 4 up, full tanks and size of the boat, was pretty reasonable.