Old 18 December 2017, 14:05   #1

Town: Northumberland
Boat name: Honda-Seapro
Make: Seapro
Length: 3m +
Engine: Honda BF20D
Alderney ring anchor retreival on a sib?

Hi guys im just wondering if this would be possible and if so would i leave the anchor rode tied up to the bow as i steam in a forward in a shallow arch or would that drag the bow down under the water as the tension builds just before the anchor breaks free. Would i be better tying the rode off to the stern of one of the tubes?

Boat is 3.4m

Basically guys is it possible and if so whats the best way to perform it safely?

Thanks

Dan
Old 18 December 2017, 14:51   #2

Town: north ayrshire
Boat name: charlie girl
Make: S/R5.4/regal3760
Length: 10m +
Engine: Suzukidf70 2x6lp 315
We usually take the rope to the stern or you will struggle with the steering and the possibility of fouling the prop
You also need to be carefull as you take up the tension if the anchor is well stuck it can pull the boat down as you motor away.
A short rope or bridle on the transom with a caribiner you can clip into a loop formed in the anchor line is probably the easiest way
Old 19 December 2017, 19:48   #3

Town: Waterlooville
Boat name: Tickler
Make: Halmatic P22
Length: 6m +
Engine: Inboard Diesel 240HP
MMSI: 235115642
RIBase
There are a few video's of retrieving an anchor in this way on Youtube.

Jimmy Green Marine sells the kit.

I've yet to do it but it is on my list of things to try and beamishken's method of transferring the rope to the stern is how I figured I'd do it
Old 19 December 2017, 22:23   #4
RIBnet admin team

Boat name: imposter
Make: FunYak
Engine: Tohatsu 30HP
MMSI: 235089819
I've never found the need on a very small boat - the anchor isn't that heavy (especially as usually it is not all chain either). If it won't come up just by lifting its potentially fouled and that could get messy on a very small boat.
Old 19 December 2017, 22:53   #5

Town: north ayrshire
Boat name: charlie girl
Make: S/R5.4/regal3760
Length: 10m +
Engine: Suzukidf70 2x6lp 315
Quote:
Originally Posted by Poly View Post
I've never found the need on a very small boat - the anchor isn't that heavy (especially as usually it is not all chain either). If it won't come up just by lifting its potentially fouled and that could get messy on a very small boat.
We use one when we're recovering sail race marks.After you've recovered a few from 60 or 70 ft it gets a bit tedious and just easier to use the ring
I don't use one on my own boat but I can see the advantage if someone has trouble recovering an anchor for some reason (maybe medical, I do know a 1 armed motor boater) As you say it can get messy if the anchor is well stuck, I nearly sunk a speedboat a few years ago trying to break out the anchor with the engine. It sat the arse of the boat down to water level surprisingly quickly necessitating a swift change of undies
Old 20 December 2017, 11:55   #6

Town: Leicester
Length: 5m +
Engine: 135hp Mercury
Usual rigging of an alderney ring is to attach the rope to the bow & drive the boat forward in an arc to avoid running over the rope.

That's the way I was taught & the youtubes & other 'how to's' I've had a quick look through all show that way & caution against attaching to the stern for the reason above.
Old 26 December 2017, 13:07   #7

Thats why im wondering if attatching at the stern can bring the sturn down to the waterline could this happen to the bow too if i left it tied up to the bow D RING amd motored forward. Could this cause the bow to go under like it would if i did it at the stern? Cheers guys
Old 26 December 2017, 23:45   #8

Town: Leicester
Length: 5m +
Engine: 135hp Mercury
If the anchor snags & the trip(s) fail to break then it will pull the bow round. This may be quite sharp depending on your speed & you need to be aware that it's a possibility

Ideally get someone to show you how to do it.

It isn't done at high speed & you need to pay attention to what's going on.

The main risk is running over the rope & fouling the prop - which could result in ending up stern on to the tide & the stern being pulled down & under if you can't clear it.
I know a professional fisherman who whilst shooting a string of pots got the rope between the last pot & the dahn buoy wrapped round the outboard's prop. He said it then went pearshaped very quickly. Unable to reach the rope the stern went down as the rope tightened against the pots & when he realised the water was coming in over the transom faster than he & the bilge pump could throw it over the side he put out a mayday & went into the water as the boat went down under him. Picked up by another boat within a few minutes & the boat was recovered a few days later - a considerable distance from where it had gone down.

This video worth watching.

The buoy must be large enough to support both anchor and chain, so it's something else to take up a fair bit of room in your boat.
Practice in shallow water out of a strong tide run.

Finally, do you actually need to use one? In shallow waters I don't bother & just pull manually.
Old 27 December 2017, 17:18   #9

bloody hell I don't fancy that happening,... Back in june me and my girlfriend were 1mile out tope fishing, we anchored and baited up...about an hour later the swell was getting bigger and I wanted to up anchor and return to shore, however I tried to pull the boat 55m horizontally towards the anchor untill I was vertically above it to pull it in, this was alot harder than it looks as I had the wind and tide pushing against me and my boat was quite heavy that day as I had loads of gear and a passenger...i was debating cutting anchor because of swell, So plan B I started the engine and engaged forward gear (NO THROTTLE), so I could drive slowly uptide and gain some slack as my girlfriend was coiling the slack into the bow, This failed too as she was not quick enough bringing in the slack and I ended up driving over the top and got caught around the prop...luckily the engine cut out, after 20mins of shouting and swearing I eventually freed the prop and eventually got the anchor back in using the 2 person method,

Basically, the reason I need an Alderney ring is just in case this ever happens when I am out on my own with the wind and tide against me and I fatigue pulling manually and I cant drive over the rode as pulling it in over the bow at the same time (cant be at 2 ends at once), so the last option for me to up anchor without needing anyone or having to cut anchor is the Alderney ring.

thanks for comments guys appreciate it

Tags
sib