Old 08 August 2013, 13:08   #11

Town: Sussex
Boat name: Bombard, Y-162
Make: Aerotec 380, Y-Class
Length: 3m +
Engine: Mercury Mariner 15hp
Quote:
Originally Posted by bingosucks View Post
i`m sib nobbing in stratford the weekend i`ll take some photo`s of my 3m generic compared to my 3.65 excel in their bags i think it`s important to realise how big these things are ,36 kg is a bag and half of plaster , go down the merchants and have a go at lifting the weight, remember your only lifting from boot to boat and deffo launch wheels i prefer the decks to airfloor too, just for the `firmer ` feel .... thinking mister p is a london ganster easily lifting things in and out of his xj pmsl
Lot easier hoiking builders bags over your shoulder too - in comparison an outboard is a big horrible top heavy lump to manhandle and carry...

Old 08 August 2013, 14:21   #12

Town: Wells
Boat name: TBC
Make: TBC
Engine: 9.9
To all the above contributors, many many thanks.

Things are becoming clearer, but why are you all so set on 2 strokes ? I was thinking either a 9.8/9 or 15 4 stroke, hence the weight problem of a 15. I was also looking at the models where the 9.x is a tweaked 8 model rather than a detuned 15. So there was a big difference in weight between them.

Anyway I'm starting to think I'd better take you advice and have a hard floor 3.x with a 15 2 stroke, used. My budget is up to 3K, so I could add an electric trolling motor, battery, portable fish finder, electric pump, and wheels, there will still be plenty left over for fuel and fun things.

Ebay here I come . . .

Old 08 August 2013, 15:10   #13

Town: Nuneaton
Boat name: gnasher
Make: sr5.4
Length: 5m +
Engine: hidea 5 yam 90
Quote:
Originally Posted by RoseyBruce View Post
To all the above contributors, many many thanks.

Things are becoming clearer, but why are you all so set on 2 strokes ? I was thinking either a 9.8/9 or 15 4 stroke, hence the weight problem of a 15. I was also looking at the models where the 9.x is a tweaked 8 model rather than a detuned 15. So there was a big difference in weight between them.

Anyway I'm starting to think I'd better take you advice and have a hard floor 3.x with a 15 2 stroke, used. My budget is up to 3K, so I could add an electric trolling motor, battery, portable fish finder, electric pump, and wheels, there will still be plenty left over for fuel and fun things.

Ebay here I come . . .
Ur welcome, we love 2 strokes because it doesn t matter how you lay it down without oil spilling everywhere these are sibs not ribs .. waiting for the inevitable debate on whethr to 50-1 or 100-1 rofl
Old 08 August 2013, 15:24   #14

2 stroke is lighter. On a SIB that means you can lift it onto the transom easier unlike on a RIB where it lives there all the time.

2 stroke can lie down (in the car) without dumping oil from the sump in the wrong places.
Old 08 August 2013, 15:24   #15

Town: Sussex
Boat name: Bombard, Y-162
Make: Aerotec 380, Y-Class
Engine: Mercury Mariner 15hp
Bruce, lots of reasons to go with a 2 smoke but weight is the main factor, you won't be lifting a 15 hp 4 stroke very easily. Throttle pick up, simplicity, and ease of transport are other advantages.
Old 08 August 2013, 16:52   #16

Town: East Anglia
Boat name: Nimrod II
Make: Aerotec 380
Engine: Suzuki DF20 EFI
>>>why are you all so set on 2 strokes?

Like to see a bit of...

Sorry... it's an age thing!

Yep weight at the 15HP point is important. 80lbs is plenty for a Mariner 15 2-stroke, 115lbs for the new 4-stroke is really far to much. A new Mariner 9.9 4-stroke is 27lbs more than a Tohatsu 9.8 2-stroke.
Old 08 August 2013, 17:24   #17

Town: Gloucester
Boat name: pain
Make: c craft
Length: 4m +
Engine: mariner, seagull, to
When I was looking for a 15 hp outboard back in 2007/2008 I viewed some outboards in a local boat sales/ chandlers and was told to try and lift a 15 hp 4 stroke compared to a 2 stroke 15 Mariner, with the 4 stroke I could lift it off an outboard rack with not too much back strain but imagine trying to get it out of the boot of a car and walking with it to the inflatable over uneven ground and have found that using 2 people to lift is not much easier due to shape weight distribution, glad I forked out for a new 2 stroke when I did and have had good fun with it with the power to weight and simple engine to work on, just look after it, clean and use fuel up out of carb before storing between using and it doesn't require much more than a yearly service and look over and simple service too boot and always use quality TCW3 oil
Old 09 August 2013, 19:41   #18

Town: Lima-Peru
Boat name: Nautile
Make: Sea Rider Boats
Length: 4m +
Engine: Tohatsu 18 /30 HP
RB,

If you'll be inflating, defleating sib near or next to car, beach, lake, river, don't need dolly wheels. Wheels are usefull for medium to long distances or at boat ramps. If going for a light 9.8 HP engine no issue to carry from car to boat to isntall it when boat is lying at shore or while floating. If it's a 9.9 or 15 HP, that's another weight story...

Happy Boating
Old 09 August 2013, 19:49   #19

Town: Royal Wootton Bassett
Length: 8m +
Engine: 250
Here you go, Ex RNLI Y Class, has to be one of the best sibs out there and you can have it for 1250

Thats a....

Mint Y Class, hardly used and in excellent condition has to be the best around.

Pump, Fuel bladder, anchor and a Rapide trailer! Everything you need but no outboard but it goes great with a 15hp

All you have to do is collect it this Sunday!

There are some pics on this thread:

Ex RNLI Y Class SIB For Sale!!!
Old 11 August 2013, 15:23   #20

Town: Wells
Boat name: TBC
Make: TBC
Engine: 9.9
Well thanks again all for the info, Whisper included.

NEWS - We've gone and done it (well some of it) , boat a bought , it's one of these -

Hydro-Force Sunsaille RIB Inflatable Boat at hydroforceboats.co.uk

it's a Sunsaille 3.8 mtr, hard floor and rated for up to 30hp. Not the most heavy duty I know but it's light and will hopefully suit our needs for a year or so. Please feel free to comment.

Now we are looking for a nice clean 15hp 2 stroke, for sensible money. It doesn't specify which shaft length is required and the distributor isn't answering the phone this weekend so I will contact them in the week, but I'm guessing it needs either a short or maybe std shaft.

Also I'm thinking of picking up one of these for around 150, does anyone here have experience with them ?

Hydro-Force Sealion Electric Trolling Outboard Motor 620W at hydroforceboats.co.uk

Also we've ordered a basic fishfinder. We have buoyancy aids, flares, and a hand held compass (just in case).

So now we need -
15hp OB, tank, and oil.
Launching wheels, but which ?
Battery and box for the trolling motor (and long leads so it can go in the bow).
Spare fuel can.
Rod holders.

What have we forgotten ??
Go on you know you want too ......

Thanks all