Old 26 August 2008, 14:46   #1

Town: Worcestershire
Boat name: Not Yet Named
Make: Avon SR 4
Length: 4m +
Engine: 40 HP Yamaha Autolub
Advice Please

I am looking to getting back into boating after a break for ill health. Having has a Yam 330 and a Quicksilver 380 with Hard Floors, as well as a Yam 270 with Airdeck I really think I need the hard floor. Would like to be able to carry 3 or 4 people, possibly one or two with diving gear occasionally - and be able to get places in reasonable time. Thinking of a 430 size boat with a 25 or 30 HP Engine. Would welcome comments on the following: Yam 430s, Quicksilver 430s, Excel 430s - and Mariner or Mercury 25 / 30 HP 4 Strokes. Thanks
Old 26 August 2008, 16:32   #2

Town: Worcester
Make: Northcraft
Length: 6m +
Engine: 115hp Yam 4 stroke
MMSI: 235063097
Graeme

I have had a Yam 430S, with aluminium floor, for a few years and been very happy with it. Originally fitted with a Yamaha 20hp 2 stroke which was a bit sluggish. Changed to a Yamaha 30hp 2 stroke and the performance is excellent (if sometimes a little hard to control at speed in rough conditions!) even when fully loaded. Personally I would go with the biggest outboard that the boat can take; better to have too much power than too little. Definitely go with an aluminium floor if you are taking dive gear. I believe Yam have changed the manufacturer of their SIBs in the last couple of years (I think they are now made by Zodiac?) so can't comment on quality of current models.

My choice out of Yam, Quicksilver and Excel would however be Quicksilver. Very well made robust SIBs at competitive prices. Definitely stick with Mercury/Mariner if you go the Quicksilver route as these brands are all from Brunswick Marine and the SIB/engine package prices are excellent.

If you are thinking 4.30m boat with a 25/30hp engine, you also need to be thinking about a trailer to go with it!
Old 26 August 2008, 18:21   #3

Thanks Trickdog. I am looking at packages now with the Quicksilver 430 and probably a 30 HP engine to see what is around. I see you are in worcester - I am just up the road near Bewdley - where do you take your RIB and how often do you get out and about?
Old 27 August 2008, 10:24   #4

Town: Worcester
Make: Northcraft
Length: 6m +
Engine: 115hp Yam 4 stroke
MMSI: 235063097
Yup live in Worcester... Not best located for anything other than river or canal boating! I have family in Cornwall so do most of my boating down there (cheap accommodation!). I had a Yam 380 which I upgraded to a Yam 430, which I keep on a trailer in my parent's garage (very handy!) and just had a Northcraft RIB built this year, which I am currently keeping on farm also in Cornwall. I get down there about every third weekend but it's work and weather dependant Really want to do some exploring of the Welsh coast with the RIB, and would also love to do the Scilly Isles, but I guess that is likely to have to wait until next year now. The crappy weather this year has been soooo frustrating!

The RIB offers so much over the SIB in terms of capability, but not much in convenience. And the difference is cost of the two forms of boating is staggering! I think SIBs are fantastic value for the pleasure and opportunities they provide. I have had some fantastic times in mine over the years.

Where will you be keeping and using your boat?

I have just read a few of your past posts and noticed that you had a RIB. Did you store it anywhere local? Also noticed you had a nice cover made locally, could you tell me where (well, if they are still in business!)?

Thanks David
Old 27 August 2008, 10:32   #5

Hi David
Yes, we had a beautiful 6.2 Metre Avon Adventure with a Honda 130 on the back. We were very active in the early days of Ribnet, and attended many cruises around the south coast and wales. I am also a Powerboat Instructor, and used to do some training around North Wales. We kept the RIB (Topaz) on her trailer at Stourport Marina. Security was good, access 24/7 and she was well looked after there. Used to cost me £140 per year for storage - great deal. We had to sell her due to changes in personal circumstances - and I am now desperate to get back on the water. Think a RIB will be outside my price range at present - so a SIB it will have to be.

We had the cover made at Wilsons Covers at Kinver. Did a great job - and they made us 2 - one full cover for general use and towing, and a console cover for when we left the boat on a mooring for lunch etc - kept eyes off of the electronics!!!

We are in Cornwall this week - hoping to hire a RIB for a day on the south coast if they have one free on the day we want it.

Would love to keep in touch - if I get a boat will let you know

My mobile for info is 07966 535138

Graeme
Old 27 August 2008, 16:41   #6

I have been offered a package with a Tohatsu 4.2m SIB and a 30HP Tohatsu Enginehave seen these fro sale etc but never seen one for real so to speak. Anyone know if these are any good - and how they compare to the Quicksilver / Yam / Excel / Mariner / Mercury ranges. Thanks
Old 27 August 2008, 19:53   #7

Town: Lima-Peru
Boat name: Nautile
Make: Sea Rider 450 Rib
Engine: Tohatsu 5/18/30 HP
Quote:
Originally Posted by GraemeCooper View Post
I have been offered a package with a Tohatsu 4.2m SIB and a 30HP Tohatsu Enginehave seen these fro sale etc but never seen one for real so to speak. Anyone know if these are any good - and how they compare to the Quicksilver / Yam / Excel / Mariner / Mercury ranges. Thanks
Most Sib new brands are Asian quality manufactured, some Hypalon alternatives available upon request. Quicksilver is the Mercury/Mariner (Brunswick) commercial boat name/logo. Mercury/Mariner 30 HP engines, with shaft & pinion tiller are rebadged Tohatsu same 30 HP engines. Save $$, buy a 25 HP 2 strokes and convert for peanuts to 30 HP, check previous convertion post.

Don't think Tohatsu will lose their well known engine manufacturer reputation for the last 50 years, selling bad quality sib/ribs to equip their engines.

Happy Sibbing
Old 27 August 2008, 20:24   #8
RIBnet admin team

Boat name: imposter
Make: FunYak
Length: 3m +
Engine: Tohatsu 30HP
MMSI: 235089819
Quote:
Originally Posted by Locozodiac View Post
... Mercury/Mariner 30 HP engines, with shaft & pinion tiller are rebadged Tohatsu same 30 HP engines. Save $$, buy a 25 HP 2 strokes and convert for peanuts to 30 HP, check previous convertion post.
but as you will see from his profile Graeme is in the UK, and as you know is very unlikely to be able to find a new 2stroke. So I would guess the package he is being offered is a 4stroke.

Quote:
Don't think Tohatsu will lose their well known engine manufacturer reputation for the last 50 years, selling bad quality sib/ribs to equip their engines.
there is a word(s) missing from that sentence and it makes a huge difference to the interpretation did you mean:

Don't think Tohatsu will lose their well known engine manufacturer reputation for the last 50 years, despite selling bad quality sib/ribs to equip their engines.

OR

Don't think Tohatsu will risk losing their well known engine manufacturer reputation for the last 50 years, by selling bad quality sib/ribs to equip their engines.
Old 28 August 2008, 10:15   #9

Town: Germany/Texas
Boat name: wicked weasel
Make: 3.6m Metzeler Maya S
Engine: 6hp
Quote:
Most Sib new brands are Asian quality manufactured, some Hypalon alternatives available upon request. Quicksilver is the Mercury/Mariner (Brunswick) commercial boat name/logo. Mercury/Mariner 30 HP engines, with shaft & pinion tiller are rebadged Tohatsu same 30 HP engines. Save $$, buy a 25 HP 2 strokes and convert for peanuts to 30 HP, check previous convertion post.

Happy Sibbing
I hate to say it, but I don't think they give a **** about their reputation tomorrow, they only care about their profits today.

The Quicksilver/Mercury badged boats are now made in China, as are all the Mercury 40-70hp motors. Anything under that, are just re-stickered Tohatsu's.

These (Quicksilver / Yam / Excel / Mariner / Mercury, etc.) are now only brand names, they are no longer companies, and are manufactured to a price point, to fill a particular market segment. Whether or not it is quality, depends on the segment they are targeting with these names.

The names mean nothing anymore, you have to compare model to model, specs to specs.
Old 28 August 2008, 13:26   #10

Town: Newmarket
Boat name: ELA
Make: METZELER
Engine: 20 Suzuki
Not made in hina

Maybe it's easier to list what’s not made in China?
Old 28 August 2008, 13:35   #11

Town: British Columbia
Make: Gemini
Engine: 40hp 2 str
BRP has also set up manufacuring facilities in China for their ETEC outboards. I'm not sure if it is for their whole line or just certain models. Sign of the times, I suppose. I heard that the Chinese themeselves are now setting up factories in other countries where they can find even cheaper labour.
Old 28 August 2008, 19:56   #12

Lord Pol, As always waisting precious available space with your personal issues.

* Woops sorry for not reading the profile (no one does)

Have just received 10 Tohatsu 18 HP, 5-50 HP, 2 strokes, new all black/red model. Anybody wants/needs one.

* Thanks English Proffesor, Next time will probably write in Spanish.

Happy Sibbing
Old 28 August 2008, 20:04   #13

Rather than buy new I will probably go for second hand for now - get back into the swing of it before spending more money. I have 2 nice packages on offer at the moment:

1. A 380 Zodiac Mk 2C GT 380 with a Mariner 30 HP on a Trailer

2. A Yam 430 with a Mariner 25 on tha back - no trailer

Questions:

1. How much room would there be in the 380 for 3 people with diving
gear for 2 of them - and would this cope with the weight

2. Is a 25 on a 430 big enough to get it on the plane with 3 people and
diving gear for 2 people?

3. Is the Zodiac a better quality boat?

Any advice / comments welcomed
Old 28 August 2008, 21:14   #14
RIBnet admin team

Boat name: imposter
Make: FunYak
Engine: Tohatsu 30HP
MMSI: 235089819
Quote:
Lord Pol, As always waisting precious available space with your personal issues.

* Woops sorry for not reading the profile (no one does)

Have just received 10 Tohatsu 18 HP, 5-50 HP, 2 strokes, new all black/red model. Anybody wants/needs one.

* Thanks English Proffesor, Next time will probably write in Spanish.

Happy Sibbing
Loco, how about instead of being obsessed that I have some sort of vendetta against you, you actually answer the point. I genuinely don't know if you were saying the boats were good or bad perhaps you can clarify?
Old 31 August 2008, 04:19   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Polwart View Post
Loco, how about instead of being obsessed that I have some sort of vendetta against you, you actually answer the point. I genuinely don't know if you were saying the boats were good or bad perhaps you can clarify?
Pol, nobody is obsessed, but instead of giving me free public English classes, that nobody is interested in, why don't you simply ask properly: " I genuinely don't know if you were saying the boats were good or bad perhaps you can clarify ? "

I cannot give a true opinion for a product that don't know, haven't owned or never seen, so I will assume the product is good as the engines. If you aren't a pro boater, just a summer user, don't plan to leave you boat on water & sun all year long, have a low budget, it could be a nice alternative to more costly boats. Have a look, reinforced Heavy Duty PVC 1.2 mm 6.20 Rib, accepts 120 HP engine for less than $ 8,500 bucks (engine not included) see complete line of accesories to match. And definitely Tohatsu boating has come to stay.

Happy Boating
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Tohatsu 6.20 Rib.JPG
Views:	264
Size:	54.4 KB
ID:	37249   Click image for larger version

Name:	Rib Accesories.jpg
Views:	504
Size:	75.1 KB
ID:	37250  
Old 31 August 2008, 04:46   #16

[QUOTE=GraemeCooper;261440] Rather than buy new I will probably go for second hand for now - get back into the swing of it before spending more money. I have 2 nice packages on offer at the moment:

1. A 380 Zodiac Mk 2C GT 380 with a Mariner 30 HP on a Trailer

2. A Yam 430 with a Mariner 25 on tha back - no trailer

Questions:

1. How much room would there be in the 380 for 3 people with diving
gear for 2 of them - and would this cope with the weight

* Tight room, engine 30 HP OK, 430 better option*

2. Is a 25 on a 430 big enough to get it on the plane with 3 people and
diving gear for 2 people

* Will plane, balance correctly towards bow, 30 HP engine much better performer,
* Convert Mariner 25 to 30 HP, if 2 strokes, look for conversion method on threads.
* Buy a used trailer

3. Is the Zodiac a better quality boat?

* By quality you mean: boat built or fabric material ?
* Zodiac is Strongan made, a fancy French name for PVC
* Yam, probably PVC too, Asian Built
* Compare both and decide.

Happy Sibbing
Old 31 August 2008, 06:23   #17

Town: Pwllheli-North Wales
Boat name: V-ONE
Make: Highfield
Length: 8m +
Engine: Honda 250hp
Wooooooow!

Talk about a blast from the past

The quicksilver 430's are a great package and on special offer at the minute.

Drop me an email off the website, we must catch up!

Jono
Old 05 September 2008, 23:53   #18

Town: cornwall
Boat name: nothing
Make: rib eye 430
Engine: tatsu 50
MMSI: 666
Quote:
Originally Posted by GraemeCooper View Post
I was looking at a quicksilver sib last week when i took my boat to the dealers , he said they were about to take on the tohatsu sibs and rib and was very impressed with them . Pretty much the same as quicksilver for quality was his opinion.
Old 06 September 2008, 17:27   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by ian parkes View Post
I was looking at a quicksilver sib last week when i took my boat to the dealers , he said they were about to take on the tohatsu sibs and rib and was very impressed with them . Pretty much the same as quicksilver for quality was his opinion.
Told you guys "Tohatsu sibs & ribs have come to stay", cheers for that!

Happyy Sibbing