Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
 
Old 31 August 2008, 17:35   #1
Member
 
Country: UK - England
Town: plymouth
Make: zodiac
Length: 4m +
Engine: outboard
Join Date: Aug 2008
Posts: 27
advice on engine size please

hi there i purchased my first boat a couple of weeks ago a b-square marine pro shore 2.9m. It came with a yamaha 5hp. it will just get on a plane with myself only but i would like it to plain with atleast 2 people preferably 3. the boat has a max engine size of 10hp but i have found a 1983 2 stroke yamaha 15hp engine. Basically i want to no if it is going to be far to big/powerful and heavy or if it will be to dangerouse. Any advice is greatly apreciated thanks.
__________________

__________________
dirtrider212002 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31 August 2008, 19:53   #2
Member
 
Locozodiac's Avatar
 
Country: Other
Town: Lima-Peru
Boat name: Nautile
Make: Sea Rider Boats
Length: 4m +
Engine: Tohatsu 18 /30 HP
Join Date: Sep 2007
Posts: 1,706
Quote:
Originally Posted by dirtrider212002 View Post
hi there i purchased my first boat a couple of weeks ago a b-square marine pro shore 2.9m. It came with a yamaha 5hp. it will just get on a plane with myself only but i would like it to plain with atleast 2 people preferably 3. the boat has a max engine size of 10hp but i have found a 1983 2 stroke yamaha 15hp engine. Basically i want to no if it is going to be far to big/powerful and heavy or if it will be to dangerouse. Any advice is greatly apreciated thanks.
2.9 Standard sibs with ply or alu decks are rated for Max 10 HP engines, newer engines weight the same in the 10/15 range, don't know for a Yam 15 so old compared to modern ones. If the 15 does not exceed the max transom weight, use with caution, inflate your sib well to it's rated woking pressure. It should plane properly with 3 up, distribute passengers weight to sib mid/front deck. Practice full throttle hole shot to see boat's behaviour until you are a skilled sibber. Is it illegal to overpower a sib in UK ?

Happy Sibbing
__________________

__________________
Locozodiac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01 September 2008, 05:05   #3
Member
 
Country: UK - Scotland
Boat name: Wildheart
Make: Humber/Delta Seasafe
Length: 5m +
Engine: Merc 60 Clamshell
MMSI: 235068449
Join Date: Apr 2007
Posts: 4,610
Quote:
Originally Posted by Locozodiac View Post
. Is it illegal to overpower a sib in UK ?
Don't think it's illegal in the "go directly to jail" sense, but the insurance bods will just laugh at you when you claim for the broken transom....... and should someone get injured by what will be an technically uninsured boat .....

My reccommendation would be to stay within the "max" numbers on the transom plate.
__________________
9D280 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01 September 2008, 12:21   #4
Member
 
Locozodiac's Avatar
 
Country: Other
Town: Lima-Peru
Boat name: Nautile
Make: Sea Rider Boats
Length: 4m +
Engine: Tohatsu 18 /30 HP
Join Date: Sep 2007
Posts: 1,706
Quote:
Originally Posted by 9D280 View Post
Don't think it's illegal in the "go directly to jail" sense, but the insurance bods will just laugh at you when you claim for the broken transom....... and should someone get injured by what will be an technically uninsured boat .....

My reccommendation would be to stay within the "max" numbers on the transom plate.
Just to know better UK boating. Must all sibs/ribs be insured locally as a general rule (it's the law), or will depend entirely up to you being insured or not ? dirtrider212002 has not specified if it's a air or aluminum 2.90 deck floor, and the floor type will make a difference in rigidity and performance.

As a comment for countries that don't need local inssurance issues :The only difference between a 2.90 and a 320 which accepts a 15 HP engine is only 30 cm in lenght, both have the same tube, about 40 and same width about 1.50 Mt with same transom. So 5 Hp more is not that big over powering difference, should make a 2.90 plane faster and carry heavier weight. If you are a experienced boater I'm sure will use it properly with caution. As a safety issue, overpowering is not recommended to newbies.

Happy Sibbing
__________________
Locozodiac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01 September 2008, 15:25   #5
Member
 
Country: UK - England
Town: plymouth
Make: zodiac
Length: 4m +
Engine: outboard
Join Date: Aug 2008
Posts: 27
hi there thanks everyone for comenting. the boat i have got is a wooden floor and when it is pumped up to corrct pressure is realy suprisingly rigid. i am new to boating but would be very very cautious so i dont think that is an issue. if i was to go for this 15hp would i be able to use it on my own or would it be to powerful or just throttle on gently.
__________________
dirtrider212002 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01 September 2008, 15:33   #6
RIBnet admin team
 
Poly's Avatar
 
Country: UK - Scotland
Boat name: imposter
Make: FunYak
Length: 3m +
Engine: 2 stroke YAM 20 HP
MMSI: 235089819
Join Date: Sep 2005
Posts: 10,114
Quote:
Originally Posted by Locozodiac View Post
Just to know better UK boating. Must all sibs/ribs be insured locally as a general rule (it's the law), or will depend entirely up to you being insured or not ? dirtrider212002 has not specified if it's a air or aluminum 2.90 deck floor, and the floor type will make a difference in rigidity and performance.
no legal requirement for insurance to use a boat on open water in the UK. Some harbour authorities and publicly owned slipways etc wll require insurance to let you put the boat in the water.
__________________
Poly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01 September 2008, 17:17   #7
Member
 
Locozodiac's Avatar
 
Country: Other
Town: Lima-Peru
Boat name: Nautile
Make: Sea Rider Boats
Length: 4m +
Engine: Tohatsu 18 /30 HP
Join Date: Sep 2007
Posts: 1,706
Quote:
Originally Posted by dirtrider212002 View Post
hi there thanks everyone for comenting. the boat i have got is a wooden floor and when it is pumped up to corrct pressure is realy suprisingly rigid. i am new to boating but would be very very cautious so i dont think that is an issue. if i was to go for this 15hp would i be able to use it on my own or would it be to powerful or just throttle on gently.
See first if the 15 HP weight is compatible/safe for the 2.90 transom, this information must be in the sib's owner manual tech specs. Or ask the dealer about it. Is not the same, 3 boys up than 3 adult up, probably a 2.90 with 15 HP driven by 3 boys will fly compared to same 3 adults. Is a matter of accelerating to see/experiment sib's behaviour at different speeds. Would be advisable to adjust a bit the engine steering friction bolt to have a light heavy steering if going for a 15 HP engine. If too light you can lose tiller/sib control. A 15 HP is theorically 3 times faster on calm waters than your actual 05.

Back in 96 used to own a OMC (Zodiac 3.05) with a Evi 10 HP, the top HP the boat could handle, modified the engine to 15 HP and performed much nicer, that is, better hole shot with more weight and slight better end speed. On the other hand if you buy a 15 HP will be perfect for a larger sib update up to a 3.30 mtr.sib. Go for it, but use with caution untill you are confident to have mastered the small beast.

Some Ribnetters will prob say "how can I recommend a newbie to go for a larger engine" so, if possible go with the 15 HP current owner on a engine/sib sea test on calm waters to see/feel it's performance at different speeds before buying. I'm sure in a short trial will be used to the new engine/sib configuration. The final decision is entirely yours.

Happy Sibbing
__________________
Locozodiac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01 September 2008, 17:28   #8
RIBnet admin team
 
Poly's Avatar
 
Country: UK - Scotland
Boat name: imposter
Make: FunYak
Length: 3m +
Engine: 2 stroke YAM 20 HP
MMSI: 235089819
Join Date: Sep 2005
Posts: 10,114
Are B-square the boats sold at Lidl (or is it Aldi?) ? Don't now what the build quality is like - some of their other stuff seems to be OK, function over form, but I doubt it was designed for serious power/speed - but rather as a cheap run about / tender.
__________________
Poly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03 September 2008, 01:01   #9
Member
 
Country: Canada
Town: British Columbia
Make: Gemini
Length: 4m +
Engine: 40hp 2 str
Join Date: Oct 2003
Posts: 2,151
I think a 10 hp might be just enough to get 2 people on plane, but will have a pretty hard time getting 3 people on plane.
__________________
prairie tuber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03 September 2008, 02:44   #10
Member
 
Country: UK - England
Town: Wilmslow
Boat name: Serotonin
Make: Quicksilver
Length: 3m +
Engine: Mariner 15
Join Date: Feb 2003
Posts: 712
Quote:
Originally Posted by Polwart View Post
no legal requirement for insurance to use a boat on open water in the UK. Some harbour authorities and publicly owned slipways etc wll require insurance to let you put the boat in the water.
Gwynedd council require boats with engines above 10hp to register with them at 15( you must have insurance to register), then charge you 15 per launch.
__________________

__________________
fred bolton is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off





Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 13:15.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.