Old 22 June 2011, 12:35   #1

Town: Sussex
Boat name: Bombard
Make: Aerotec 380
Length: 3m +
Engine: Mercury Mariner 15hp
Adapting a pressure gauge for a SIB...

Been looking at gauges lately - I have the push on factory basic type with my Zodiac that shows a symbol for tube pressure and (HP) floor pressure rather than actual psi.

But as is common with these they only work when the pump is pumping (so the valve is pushed open).

However (experimenting last night), if you fit the gauge only then drop something like a wooden dowel in and plug with your finger...so the finger pushes against the dowel/valve - the air is released and blocked within the gauge by your finger giving a true constant reading.

Which got me thinking - the 'marine' gauges are of course overpriced (being 'marine').

Check something like this below:

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/40mm-Pressure-...item3a6641ef7e

Looks strangely familiar to those at chandlers...

A certified gauge with the range required for a fiver - all that is required is to make an adaptor/plug with a protrusion inside to fit the two types of valve - one with the central sprung stem that is pushed in and the other with a smaller rounded stub to push against the rubber membrane thingy in the floor/keel.

I'll give it a go and post back results if anyone is interested...
Old 22 June 2011, 14:14   #2
RIBnet Supporter

Length: 4m +
Of course we're interested! This is RIBnet, we do 18 pages on drilling holes in things.

The Quicksilver setup is different however - the twistfit nozzle opens the valve and allows the pressure gauge upstream to show the tube pressure. There is a one way valve in the gauge itself so it works all the time.
Old 23 June 2011, 12:23   #3

Town: Buckingham
Make: Ribcraft 4.8
Engine: Mariner 75
Yup - I bought one of those exact gauges about 4 years ago and have used it ever since.

The (insulation taped) addition of a short piece of plastic tubing with a bar at the end (spare from a foot pump adapter) allowed pressure to be measured very easily when the tube was pushed into the valve.
Old 23 June 2011, 14:01   #4

Here's an update - received the basic gauge this morning after ordering yesterday afternoon, great service, went for this one at under £4:

40mm Pressure Gauge Base Entry 0-15 PSI AIR AND OIL on eBay (end time 20-Jul-11 16:25:01 BST)

And put the gauge together this morning, works an absolute treat, dead chuffed!

Here is the completed gauge next to the Zodiac floor/keel valve it fits:

I turned down a piece of PVC pipe to a taper so it fits the valve precisely, a couple of pieces of different diameter hose join the parts. A rounded 'prodder' (for want of a better word) is 'chemically metalled' into the tube at just the right position and depth to open the valve:

And in position:

Here checking the floor pressure:

And for reference this is the original Zodiac guage:

Obviously what I've made is to fit the Zodiac valves but with the right adaptor for your own valves it will work on any make SIB for a fraction of the cost of a 'marine' one. Makes a real difference having a proper gauge reading in 0.5psi increments rather than a 'guesstimate' pictorial gauge and of course being able to check the exact pressure at any time without getting the pump out especially in those 'leaving the boat in the sun' moments. All I need to do now is make a second tapered adaptor with central 'prodder' to fit the main tube valves.

A couple of observations - the Zodiac gauge reads under at the (LP) tube end and over at the (HP) floor end. Also, *importantly* when inflating the (small volume) keel to the recommended 3.4 psi - the difference between 2.4 psi and 3.4 psi is *less* than *one* complete up or down stroke of a typical stirrup pump!!

Similarily when you approach the correct 12 or so psi for the floor you have to take it easy. Again, all this shows how important it is to have a proper gauge and why perhaps so many people complain of flexy SIB air floors.
Old 23 June 2011, 14:41   #5
RIBnet Supporter

That's cool. It's very similar to the QS gauge. I've managed to get mine fitted into an inline inflation hose that I hook up to a large SCUBA cylinder for initial inflation, and a small one for on-water topups.
Old 23 June 2011, 17:46   #6

Town: jersey
Boat name: Martini II
Make: Arctic 28/FC470
Length: 8m +
Engine: twin 225Opti/50hp 2t
MMSI: 235067688
Tidy
Old 23 June 2011, 18:21   #7

Cheers chaps - made the adaptor for the tube valves - similar idea but a bit more 'Heath-Robinson' - does the job but I might re-do this - I needed one quickly for the weekend:

Old 23 June 2011, 19:28   #8

Town: Cambridgeshire
Boat name: Nimrod II
Engine: Yam 15 Tohatsu 9.8
Very inventive Max!

I'm an obsessive pressure checker throughout days when the temperature changes and would really appreciate something that gave a permanent display of presure. I think you can get such a gauge for your Zodiac's main tube valves... it fits in with a bayonet to replace one valve cap. However my valves are a different type with a screw cap and I haven't seen anything to suit.
Old 07 July 2011, 20:05   #9

Length: no boat
How the heck do i make the tubing bits?
(i'm not very creative)!
Old 07 July 2011, 20:09   #10
RIBnet Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by lawrence567 View Post
How the heck do i make the tubing bits?
(i'm not very creative)!
With anything that fits. At 11psi, you can use duct-tape for the joints
Old 07 July 2011, 20:15   #11

What's the purple end on it (wow that sounds dodgy)
Old 08 July 2011, 07:20   #12

It can be anything the right length and diameter - it pushes against the rubber membrane to open the valve.
Old 08 July 2011, 07:56   #13

Ah gotcha, i see what you use it for, it was a little late last night!
Do you have anymore offcuts of the tubing? As i don't have anything like that at home available to me & don't really want to be buying lengths of it.
I don't mind re-imbursing you a small sum & some P&P ££.
Old 22 September 2011, 19:27   #14

Town: South Yorkshire
Boat name: Sold it !
Engine: Totallyhotsue 9.8 2S
Thanks Max - great idea. The only other gauge I've seen is £25 at rib shop I've ordered the £3.78 ebay gauge and will knock something together. If it works I'll post a photo or two.
Old 27 September 2011, 21:01   #15

Town: South Yorkshire
Boat name: Sold it !
Engine: Totallyhotsue 9.8 2S
Bit of high pressure gas hose chopped off the BBQ. The end off a cr@p stirrup pump. Some self amalgamating tape and all is good.

The ebay gauge is rated B which is supposed to mean it is accurate to within 3%. Now 3% off 0.25 bar is 0.2425 bar so you would not notice.

When inflated using the BST this guage reads about 10% lower.

For under £4 I'm happy. If I was making another though I'd spend the extra few pence and get the 50mm gauge as the 40mm is quite small.

Build in progress

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

Final product

Uploaded with ImageShack.us
Old 02 April 2014, 21:39   #16

Town: Newcastle emlyn
Boat name: Bass nymph
Make: honwave 3.5
Engine: 15hp parsun 4 stroke
Pressure

Anybody have any ideas or pics on how to join a pressure gauge inline with a manual pump so you gauge pressure as you pump rather than pump, dissengage then test pressure then pump again if too low.thanks
Old 02 April 2014, 21:43   #17

Town: Portland
Boat name: Tilikum
Make: Zodiac FC-470
Engine: Suzuki DT-40
Just buy a Mercury Double Action Pump. They're cheap and have a built in pressure gauge. In the US they can be bought here.
Old 03 April 2014, 16:04   #18

Town: Lima-Peru
Boat name: Nautile
Make: Sea Rider 450 Rib
Engine: Tohatsu 5/18/30 HP
Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny5vikk View Post
Anybody have any ideas or pics on how to join a pressure gauge inline with a manual pump so you gauge pressure as you pump rather than pump, dissengage then test pressure then pump again if too low.thanks
You can't join a pressure gauge to a standard manual hand or foot pump, won't read, need a special model to do so.

Buy a Bravo 4 alu heavy duty dual action hand pump, comes with incorporated gauge. Just screw hose end into valve and will read while at a stop position of while inflating tubes and keel. You can remove hose from pump and use it to monitor in same way as mentioned above.

Good to read that boaters are begining to care about using pressure gauges for outstanding water performance. Years back was nearly beaten up here due to my repeated recommendation about using pressure gauges. At that time thumb pressure testing was only needed....

Happy Boating
Old 03 April 2014, 16:36   #19

Town: Lima-Peru
Boat name: Nautile
Make: Sea Rider 450 Rib
Engine: Tohatsu 5/18/30 HP
SIBer, oooops, old post sorry...

Down issue with that type of Halkey Roberts bayonet fitting is that once inserted and locked into valve inner body the gauge could stay reading at any 360 position, that is. you won't have gauge face reading at confortable position all the time, when valves are tube fitted at factory the adjusting position of lower and upper valves will not always match same. Will need to have a 360° rotating gauge at upper hose for a confortable reading.

You need something like this to work and read much better at any valve position. If having a small gauge (1) if having a big gauge (2) as pictures. A machine shop can make a nice pro adapter, will need to have a spare air valve to have it internally diam & depth measured for a perfect state of the art valve fit.

Happy Boating
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	1 Flexible Hose.JPG
Views:	349
Size:	73.5 KB
ID:	92979   Click image for larger version

Name:	2 Gauge-Valve Adapter.JPG
Views:	374
Size:	67.0 KB
ID:	92980   Click image for larger version

Name:	Tube Pressure.JPG
Views:	483
Size:	60.9 KB
ID:	92983  
Old 10 June 2014, 19:35   #20

Town: Bristol
Boat name: Salty Cheeks
Make: Honwave
Engine: 20hp 2stroke Mariner
Quote:
Originally Posted by willk View Post
Of course we're interested! This is RIBnet, we do 18 pages on drilling holes in things.

The Quicksilver setup is different however - the twistfit nozzle opens the valve and allows the pressure gauge upstream to show the tube pressure. There is a one way valve in the gauge itself so it works all the time.
ribstore does a few different guages for around £8