Old 24 May 2014, 20:11   #1

Town: Stirling
Boat name: The Gurnard
Make: Quicksilver
Length: 4m +
Engine: mariner 25hp 2s
A day in the life of the Gurnards SIB

I will be the first to admit that I am not the hardies of SIB’ers. You can think of me as being like the mackerel, and can only be found around the coasts when the water starts to warm up.

Today was the first day this year that I found the inspiration to dip a toe in the water to test the temperature. I always spend my first day of the new SIB year in the relative safely of Loch Etive, before heading for open sea journeys. This gives me peace of mind that my winterised outboards are working as they should and I have not left any vital parts out when I reassembled them after servicing.

My SIB is an eight year old Quicksilver 4.3m ply floor job. I trailer it to my chosen destinations as I like variety and there are plenty places to use a SIB in Scotland. I don’t think a RIB would be better for me even though I trailer the SIB. The main reason is it weights 110Kg off its trailer. A typical RIB of comparable size will weight twice if not three times that. I normally launch and retrieve on my own and find a boat around 100Kg is manageable to shove across beaches ..my hard shell boats were not so easy.

Once the SIB is on the beach.. I can push it with one finger on two inflatable roller boats. I keep the SIB keel deflated until the boat is floating. Even on soft shingle beaches or mud.. they wont dig in or bog down. They are also a fraction of the cost of transom wheels

But the biggest advantage of roller boats over transom wheels ... I can mount an auxiliary engine on the transom.

My main engine is a 25hp two stroke which I can easily move around on its sack trolley. Because my tow car has a drop down tailgate.. it just slides in.. so I never lift its full weight. It has plenty of power to zip my SIP along at 20 mph although I normally keep it at around 15mph. It doesn’t take long to get round Loch Etive which is a sea loch of around 20 miles in length. Im not a speed king as I also like to take my time.

Today, I took a colleague from the old work place with me. The 4.3m SIB has plenty space for two to fish, without sitting in each other’s laps. The wooden floor allows easy movement around the SIB and I don’t worry about accidentally dropping fish hooks or sharp objects on the floor.

My friend ..who is seldom in a boat.. loved the experience and soaked up all the beautiful scenery

I landed at this abandoned jetty and cooked sausages on a disposable BBQ for lunch

We then had afternoon tea and another leg stretch on this deserted sandy shore. We never saw another soul all day and it is still too early for the midges. It felt like we were floating in paradise.

They only thing that was slightly disappointing was the fishing. Not a single bite all day.

Well..until the last half hour... and I hooked a small cod. I returned it without touching it because I don’t eat cod..but it still made my day.

I do eat mackerel. But I didn’t catch any ... I guess it is still too cold for them. I do hope they arrive soon.. look at the day they missed by staying away :-D

Yup...its not what make of SIB you have .. that makes it the best in the world... its what you do with it that makes it :-D
Old 24 May 2014, 20:22   #2

Town: Aberdeenshire
Boat name: Sula
Make: Ribcraft 4.8m
Engine: Tohatsu 70hp + aux
MMSI: 235087213
RIBase
Fantastic pictures - it looks idyllic.

Still a bit early for mackerel. We've been out a couple of times in the last month. Apparently the mackerel were about 12 miles offshore according to some old sea dog.
Old 24 May 2014, 20:36   #3

Town: Fort William
Make: Ribcraft 585
Length: 5m +
Engine: Yamaha F115
RIBase
A day in the life of the Gurnards SIB

Cracking day out, a lot better than the one I've had. That's a smart setup you have there.

Mackerel are just off Oban at the minute, should be in Etive soon.

Etive is cracking for spur dogs, I have them up to 12lb in there.
Old 24 May 2014, 21:29   #4

Town: Sussex
Boat name: Bombard
Make: Aerotec 380
Length: 3m +
Engine: Mercury Mariner 15hp
Nice story and great pics. SIBs are great aren't they.
Old 24 May 2014, 22:40   #5

Town: Oop North
A good read and the deserted sandy shore picture gives a great sense of isolation.
Old 25 May 2014, 07:30   #6

Town: Salcombe
Boat name: The Black Pig
Make: Ranieri
Engine: 60c hp tohatsu
MMSI: 235038018
Send a message via AIM to The Black Pig
Went out last week no mackerel around yet strange dispite the mild winter and probably warmer seas

A few small pollack near the shore and that was it

Tried in the habour in a hole for skate one big bite but got away

Better luck next time
Old 25 May 2014, 07:36   #7
RIBnet admin team

Town: The wilds of Wiltshire
Boat name: Dominator
Make: SR5.4
Length: 7m +
Engine: Yam 85
MMSI: 235055163
RIBase
The mackerel were in further east-Matt H had quite a haul off Poole that weekend. Might just have been bad luck.

Please click HERE and HERE and support our Trade Members.

Join up as a Trade member or Supporter HERE
Nos4r2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 May 2014, 07:50   #8

Many thanks for the kind comments guys... they are appreciated.

For some reason ...the photo showing the space for two fishing in a 4.3m SIB didn’t show.. so I have re attached it below. The beauty of a ply floor is that with a little imagination..it is easy to make seats..lockers .. and fish tables etc. I tie them all to U bolts secured to the floor. Everything is easily removed... if required.

@spartacus.. glad to hear the mackerel are not far from shore. Im looking forward to having some fresh caught for dinner.

@A1an.. yup..I have caught a spur or two there too but never in the double figures. I was hoping to get one yesterday.. but on my first SIB outings..I always seem to forget something ? This year it was the bait of mackerel and squid .. I left it at home in the freezer L

I called the SIB after the first fish that I caught on its maiden voyage... a gurnard from Loch Etive

@max ...yup.. pound for pound.. I have found that SIBs are the best boating value for money .. and loads of fun

@stray ... Loch Etive sure is a beautiful location.. my work mate could not believe just how beautiful it all was... but he is a city boy.. so I can excuse him

It was one of those days that SIB memories are made of.. thanks for reading this post
Old 25 May 2014, 07:56   #9

Town: Filey
Boat name: Bass Blitz
Cracking report love the pictures.

Mark
Old 25 May 2014, 08:00   #10

Town: Ashton-under-Lyne Lancs
Boat name: IMOGEN
Make: Air-Craft 5.4
Length: 5m +
Engine: Suzuki df70a
MMSI: 235087492
RIBase
Send a message via Skype™ to kerny
Great report and pics Gurnard. I never get bored of reading your threads, thanks for posting.
Old 25 May 2014, 08:33   #11

Town: east lincs coast
Length: under 3m
Great post Gurnard like the boat roller idea!where do you get those from ?
Old 26 May 2014, 03:23   #12

Town: NorCal
Boat name: SHARKY
Make: AB
Engine: Honda BF75 & BF5
One more...Great post!
Old 26 May 2014, 09:04   #13

Town: Essex
Engine: 30hp
Thanks also. A great read. I have the same sib and set up as you know, as you've helped with pics etc of the auxiliary. Its going great and have been using loads already this year. Did about 35 miles last wknd! It feels a bit like an apache helicopter with all its extras now. Love it!
Old 26 May 2014, 10:49   #14

Top quality post and cracking pics to boot.
Not been to loch etive for a few years now - those pics make me want to go back, so will do soon hopefully.
Last time I went in my Sib I took a city boy work colleague also.
He was having the best day ever right up until the last 10 mins when he caught a 7 lb Spurdog.
When trying to unhook and return it one of the spurs punctured the skin on the back of his thumb.
Within 15 mins his hand resembled a red boxing glove!!!
He has never asked me to go back lol!
Old 27 May 2014, 08:21   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by naiad View Post
Great post Gurnard like the boat roller idea!where do you get those from ?
hi naiad..i got mine from force 4 ..there don't seem to be too many suppliers now..yet in the 60's - 70's roller boats were very popular for moving the heavy sailing boats like GP14's and Enterprise's etc.

I remember them well ..cos I followed my father's Hornet as he rolled it up the beach on them. My job was to collect the one that rolled out the transom ..then place it under the bow again ..until we reached the sailing club compound.

They work a treat for a large flat bottomed SIB

thanks again to all for reading and commenting

Force 4 Inflatable Boat Roller - 400kgs - 160x25cm - Only £19.95 - Force 4 Chandlery
Old 21 February 2017, 20:07   #16

Town: Benfleet
Make: Honda Honwave T40
Engine: Tohatsu 18 4 stroke
Really enjoyed looking at this thread. Fantastic scenery, you are very lucky to live in a part of this country that's so picturesque. love set up too. Hope to see more from you on here.

Cliff
Old 24 February 2017, 20:54   #17

Town: Fulham
Make: Aerotec 380
Engine: Mercury 25HP
MMSI: 235914577
What HP motor can that SIB go up to?
Old 25 February 2017, 08:18   #18

Apologies for a late reply Cliff..I have not been around so much lately..but I'm sure I will be when the season starts again

The Max recommended is 30Hp for the 430 HD model Firstrib. I find the 25HP more than enough for my needs.. it gives around 22 knots. Its a heavy brute but its the most seaworthy SIB I have been in..so IMO worth the extra weight. Trailer job only though.