Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
 
Old 09 June 2008, 05:30   #1
Member
 
Country: UK - England
Town: Portsmouth
Make: Caribe
Length: 4m +
Engine: Tohatsu 50Hp
Join Date: Feb 2008
Posts: 17
Trailer Parking Problems

Hi,

I’ve been lurking here on ribnet for some time now & it has been a valuable source of information for me as in my first year with a rib. Some really excellent information on using & maintaining my boat/engine – thanks everyone!

Anyway, to get to the point – I have overcome most of the usual learning scenarios encountered when new to boating, (towing, launch & recovery etc) but have one problem that remains that I would like to hear some other opinions on as quite frankly, it is driving me potty as to what the best solution maybe.

The problem that remains is that when I have finished my days boating I have difficulties when I return home. I keep my rib in the garage & our driveway is 30M long & on a step(ish) incline (150mm in 1M – aprox 9 Degs). If I can get to the drive it is not too much of a problem to reverse the trailer (although my trailer reversing skills are still pretty poor) but 50% of the time someone will be parked opposite & I cannot turn the car & trailer the 90 Degs into the driveway. This leave me stranded on the road. As the boat/trailer/engine etc are not particularly heavy – aprox 400KG (guessing at 150KG rolling load up the hill), I have so far (with the help of the wife) been able to push the boat from the road to the garage but this is not an ideal situation. Additional it is made more difficult by the fact that the ‘drop’ curb is not a true drop & more of a step (aprox 50mm). This takes a bit of a run up to overcome which is not always possible depending on where cars are parked. I have looked in depth at a couple of solutions & neither are perfect (1) pull boat from a winch in the garage & (2) fit a drivable jockey wheel (Hitchline or similar).

I’m interested to hear if anyone has encountered a similar problem & what their solution was. I have thought a lot about the problem & possible solutions but now would value some fresh thinking before I finalize a way forward.

Thanks in advance.

Paul.
__________________

__________________
Paul_H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09 June 2008, 05:46   #2
RIBnet admin team
 
Nos4r2's Avatar
 
Country: UK - England
Town: The wilds of Wiltshire
Boat name: WhiteNoise/Dominator
Make: Ballistic 7.8/SR5.4
Length: 7m +
Engine: Opti 225/Yam 85
MMSI: 235090687/235055163
Join Date: Jul 2005
Posts: 12,645
RIBase
Have you thought about a front towball?
__________________
Need spares,consoles,consumables,hire,training or even a new boat?

Please click HERE and HERE and support our Trade Members.

Join up as a Trade member or Supporter HERE
Nos4r2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09 June 2008, 06:10   #3
Member
 
Country: UK - England
Town: Over here
Boat name: S.S. Nobstick
Make: Three Wise Monkeys
Length: 3m +
Engine: 44lbs of thrust....
Join Date: Nov 2003
Posts: 2,115
Block and tackle/rope and pulley system. Cheap as you wish and dead easy.
__________________
Jono is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09 June 2008, 06:13   #4
Member
 
Country: UK - England
Town: Portsmouth
Make: Caribe
Length: 4m +
Engine: Tohatsu 50Hp
Join Date: Feb 2008
Posts: 17
Nos4r2,

That is an interesting idea - fitting a front tow hitch - not one that I have considered. Unfortunately I have a Vauxhall Zafira so I don't think that it would be an option at present.

Thanks anyway.
__________________
Paul_H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09 June 2008, 06:22   #5
Member
 
Country: UK - England
Town: Portsmouth
Make: Caribe
Length: 4m +
Engine: Tohatsu 50Hp
Join Date: Feb 2008
Posts: 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jono View Post
Block and tackle/rope and pulley system. Cheap as you wish and dead easy.
Jono,

I have considered this & think that the idea has merit - there are a couple of aspects that I can't think through though: (1) how much rope? I was thinking that the pulley system would need 3-4 pulleys to reduce the weigh sufficently - would i then need 120-150M of rope to pull the length of the drive? thats a lot of rope! (2) I would like to pull up the boat back first but would like to be at the front of the trailer to steer (& manage the nose weight) this would be a bit ackward don't you think?

Is this something that you have tried?

Thanks,

Paul H.
__________________
Paul_H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09 June 2008, 06:36   #6
Member
 
Andy JC's Avatar
 
Country: UK - England
Town: Bristol
Make: Honwave T35AE
Length: 3m +
Engine: Tohatsu 18hp
Join Date: Feb 2006
Posts: 374
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul_H View Post
Additional it is made more difficult by the fact that the ‘drop’ curb is not a true drop & more of a step (aprox 50mm). This takes a bit of a run up to overcome which is not always possible depending on where cars are parked.
Not a complete solution but you could make 2 small permanent ramps for the trailer wheels by mixing up a some cement/chippings. This would at least make it easier to overcome your 'drop' curb.

Even if you then later went for another option (block and tackle, drivable jockey wheel etc) this would certainly help cusion the blow.
__________________
Andy JC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09 June 2008, 06:59   #7
Member
 
Country: UK - England
Town: Portsmouth
Make: Caribe
Length: 4m +
Engine: Tohatsu 50Hp
Join Date: Feb 2008
Posts: 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy JC View Post
Not a complete solution but you could make 2 small permanent ramps for the trailer wheels by mixing up a some cement/chippings. This would at least make it easier to overcome your 'drop' curb.

Even if you then later went for another option (block and tackle, drivable jockey wheel etc) this would certainly help cusion the blow.
Andy,

Totally agree - this part of the problem needs resolving as a seperate issue. I will make something up out of ply or steel sheet - I don't know how the council would view me 'adding' to THIER road with concrete or ashphalt.

Thanks,

Paul H.
__________________
Paul_H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09 June 2008, 07:03   #8
RIBnet admin team
 
Poly's Avatar
 
Country: UK - Scotland
Boat name: imposter
Make: FunYak
Length: 3m +
Engine: 2 stroke YAM 20 HP
MMSI: 235089819
Join Date: Sep 2005
Posts: 10,114
Paul - until a year ago I was in a similar situation to you and frequently considered fitting some sort of winch. I solved the problem by moving house!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul_H View Post
Jono,

I have considered this & think that the idea has merit - there are a couple of aspects that I can't think through though: (1) how much rope? I was thinking that the pulley system would need 3-4 pulleys to reduce the weigh sufficently - would i then need 120-150M of rope to pull the length of the drive? thats a lot of rope! (2) I would like to pull up the boat back first but would like to be at the front of the trailer to steer (& manage the nose weight) this would be a bit ackward don't you think?

Is this something that you have tried?

Thanks,

Paul H.
You wouldn't get me standing downhill from any trailer being pulled up on pulleys or winch, unless it was very carefully designed, if a single part fails - it will run you down (I am guessing you don't have breaks on a 500 kg trailer/load).

It looks like you can get a (removable) front tow ball for a Zafira though - http://www.westerntowing.co.uk/acata...h-Towbars.html

Might be just as cheap as a decent winch by the time you get it all set up? Although if you change your car frequently it will be a PITA.
__________________
Poly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09 June 2008, 07:16   #9
RIBnet admin team
 
Nos4r2's Avatar
 
Country: UK - England
Town: The wilds of Wiltshire
Boat name: WhiteNoise/Dominator
Make: Ballistic 7.8/SR5.4
Length: 7m +
Engine: Opti 225/Yam 85
MMSI: 235090687/235055163
Join Date: Jul 2005
Posts: 12,645
RIBase
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul_H View Post
Andy,

Totally agree - this part of the problem needs resolving as a seperate issue. I will make something up out of ply or steel sheet - I don't know how the council would view me 'adding' to THIER road with concrete or ashphalt.

Thanks,

Paul H.
I doubt they'd notice if no-one told them...
__________________
Need spares,consoles,consumables,hire,training or even a new boat?

Please click HERE and HERE and support our Trade Members.

Join up as a Trade member or Supporter HERE
Nos4r2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09 June 2008, 08:04   #10
Member
 
Country: UK - Wales
Town: West Wales
Make: Vipermax 5.8, SR4.7
Length: 5m +
Engine: 150 Opti, F50EFi
Join Date: Sep 2005
Posts: 6,298
Can you use the trailer winch to pull the outfit up the drive?. As it's 30m, you'll need to have a few shots at it, but it may be an easy and cheap solution.
Remember to secure the bow eye of your boat to the trailer winch post (should already be done anyway).
__________________

__________________
Downhilldai is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off





Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 14:56.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.