Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
 
Old 31 December 2008, 14:05   #41
Member
 
Country: UK - England
Town: Dorset & Hants
Boat name: Streaker/Orange
Make: Avon/Ribcraft
Length: 4m +
Engine: 50Yam/25 Mariner
Join Date: Apr 2007
Posts: 5,551
Quote:
Originally Posted by codprawn View Post
Stop worrying!!!

I towed my boat on a CLH trailer and it's perfectly legal - the Police boats are the same size on the same trailers!!!

My overall legth was about the same as an artic.........
Police never prosecute themselves though! Over a cetain lenght I 'think' you need extra signs ( long vehicle & warning triangles) - load of old bollocks if you ask me !

I'll stick with my theory if it look OK you generally get away with it & I'll have to pay the fine/ cost if I ever get stopped .
__________________

__________________
PeterM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02 January 2009, 10:16   #42
Member
 
Country: UK - England
Town: Bristol
Make: Delta
Length: 8m +
Engine: Twin 225
Join Date: Apr 2003
Posts: 159
I might be a bit stupid admitting this on the forum but I am a diver with the Police - I will dig out the traffic books next week and get some definitive answers from you.

Regarding the speed rule though - yes vans have a lower national speed limit and yes we will stop you and deal with it if we spot it.

Regarding the boat towing - it is a little complicated and I will have to get back to you but we have a 8.5m rib with twin 250hp and legally we can tow it behind a disco. We tried this and rolled it so I think there might be a difference in what legally you can tow and what you should tow. The 85% guildline is a good stating point for higher speed work.

Mike
__________________

__________________
MikeL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02 January 2009, 11:49   #43
Member
 
Country: UK - Wales
Town: swansea
Boat name: Too Blue
Make: BLANK
Length: 8m +
Engine: Suzuki DT225
Join Date: Mar 2004
Posts: 12,791
What sort of trailer was it on? I find a CLH with 3 axles is incredibly stable but weight distribution can make a hell of a difference.

Not only that but front tyres on the towing vehicle. I towed a car trailer to Oxford and it was a nightmare. The Disco was following all the ruts on the M4 and felt really twitchy. I thought it was down to the trailer. I did have one scary moment but got it back under control.

My front tyres were perfectly legal but I replaced them and the problem vanished - must have had a strange wear pattern!!!
__________________
codprawn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05 January 2009, 16:25   #44
Member
 
Country: UK - England
Town: northampton
Boat name: spud
Make: cobra nautique
Length: 7m +
Engine: 225 optimax
Join Date: Jul 2008
Posts: 10
only just read this thread

regarding van speed limits, i have been driving vans for about 10 years now and never had a problem with speed limits. but last year my buisness partner who drives a transit pickup got flashed by a gatso and was fined for doing 55 in a 60 zone, next day he went through same camera in my transit panel van doing 55 and camera didnt flash. his pickup was loaded with steel at said time so as far as we can gather its done on weight because when we queeried the ticket we were told the transit pickup was classed as heavy goods now?????? wot a load of bull and they only tell you they changed the law when you get a ticket.
__________________
SPUD18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06 January 2009, 08:20   #45
Member
 
Country: UK - Wales
Town: swansea
Boat name: Too Blue
Make: BLANK
Length: 8m +
Engine: Suzuki DT225
Join Date: Mar 2004
Posts: 12,791
How does a gatso weigh you???
__________________
codprawn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06 January 2009, 09:27   #46
RIBnet admin team
 
Nos4r2's Avatar
 
Country: UK - England
Town: The wilds of Wiltshire
Boat name: WhiteNoise/Dominator
Make: Ballistic 7.8/SR5.4
Length: 7m +
Engine: Opti 225/Yam 85
MMSI: 235090687/235055163
Join Date: Jul 2005
Posts: 12,645
RIBase
Quote:
Originally Posted by SPUD18 View Post
regarding van speed limits, i have been driving vans for about 10 years now and never had a problem with speed limits. but last year my buisness partner who drives a transit pickup got flashed by a gatso and was fined for doing 55 in a 60 zone, next day he went through same camera in my transit panel van doing 55 and camera didnt flash. his pickup was loaded with steel at said time so as far as we can gather its done on weight because when we queeried the ticket we were told the transit pickup was classed as heavy goods now?????? wot a load of bull and they only tell you they changed the law when you get a ticket.
1) they haven't changed the law.

2) They don't weigh your vehicle-they just check if it's over a certain axle weight to work out if it's an HGV or not. They use all sorts of tactics-sometimes pointing the detector up high so it doesn't detect cars, sometimes using an induction loop in the road.
__________________
Need spares,consoles,consumables,hire,training or even a new boat?

Please click HERE and HERE and support our Trade Members.

Join up as a Trade member or Supporter HERE
Nos4r2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06 January 2009, 09:30   #47
RIBnet admin team
 
Nos4r2's Avatar
 
Country: UK - England
Town: The wilds of Wiltshire
Boat name: WhiteNoise/Dominator
Make: Ballistic 7.8/SR5.4
Length: 7m +
Engine: Opti 225/Yam 85
MMSI: 235090687/235055163
Join Date: Jul 2005
Posts: 12,645
RIBase
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeL View Post

Regarding the boat towing - it is a little complicated and I will have to get back to you but we have a 8.5m rib with twin 250hp and legally we can tow it behind a disco. We tried this and rolled it so I think there might be a difference in what legally you can tow and what you should tow. The 85% guildline is a good stating point for higher speed work.

Mike
If it was a single vehicle accident wth no extenuating circumstances (blowout, debris etc) then it's far more likely your driver didn't know what he was doing when towing.
__________________
Need spares,consoles,consumables,hire,training or even a new boat?

Please click HERE and HERE and support our Trade Members.

Join up as a Trade member or Supporter HERE
Nos4r2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06 January 2009, 13:27   #48
Member
 
Hightower's Avatar
 
Country: UK - England
Town: Fareham
Length: 6m +
Join Date: Sep 2003
Posts: 7,855
Quote:
Originally Posted by codprawn View Post
How does a gatso weigh you???
It doesn't weigh you, it's number plate recognition technology. It cross referances your vehical details with the speed limit and nobbles you accordingly
__________________
Andy

Looks Slow but is Fast
Member of the ebay Blue RIB cover club.
Hightower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06 January 2009, 15:03   #49
Member
 
Country: UK - England
Town: northampton
Boat name: spud
Make: cobra nautique
Length: 7m +
Engine: 225 optimax
Join Date: Jul 2008
Posts: 10
another question for you all regarding vans, my transit panel van has same carrying capacity as our pickup. so why didnt my van set off gatso and the pickup did doing the same speed ?
__________________
SPUD18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06 January 2009, 16:00   #50
Member
 
Country: UK - England
Town: Dorset & Hants
Boat name: Streaker/Orange
Make: Avon/Ribcraft
Length: 4m +
Engine: 50Yam/25 Mariner
Join Date: Apr 2007
Posts: 5,551
Quote:
Originally Posted by SPUD18 View Post
another question for you all regarding vans, my transit panel van has same carrying capacity as our pickup. so why didnt my van set off gatso and the pickup did doing the same speed ?
Aren't vans rated on something other than carrying capacity - like axle weight etc or something or gross vehcile weight ? IS that why - a loaded transit is heavier than a loaded pickup ?
__________________

__________________
PeterM is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off





Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 08:46.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.