Old 29 August 2010, 06:26   #11
Town: Southampton
Boat name: DynaMoHumm/ SRV/deja
Make: Avon8.4, 5.4 & 4.777
Length: 8m +
Engine: Cat3126 Yam 90 &70
MMSI: 42

the naughty man would be better off adjusting his nose weight so that the rear springs could handle the tow without shoving the front of the car up

Here it comes again, I don't stand a chance
Soul possession, Got me in a trance
Pullin' me back to you - Deja Voodoo
Rogue Wave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 August 2010, 12:58   #12
Town: Fareham
Length: 6m +
Originally Posted by Rogue Wave View Post
the naughty man would be better off adjusting his nose weight so that the rear springs could handle the tow without shoving the front of the car up
Well I think that was the point of my post. He would have been blinding every car that was coming towards him.

Looks Slow but is Fast
Member of the ebay Blue RIB cover club.
Hightower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 August 2010, 09:33   #13
Boat name: Wildheart
Make: Humber/Delta Seasafe
Length: 5m +
Engine: Merc 60 Clamshell
MMSI: 235068449
Originally Posted by m chappelow View Post
they have even been stopping recovery trucks that are towing broken down cars whilst using amber flashing beacons if on the move ,, they say that a towed car is classed as any other trailer and unless is very slow or at the scene of a recovery the amber cannot be used on the move .
About bl**dy time too!

There are lighting exceptions for boat trailers, but on a similar theme, years ago I had an overhang problem with the laser -the boat tucked in nicely behind my Fiesta, however the black plastic mudguards stuck out in a "stealth bomber" style-ee. Not normally a problem with other cars - it was pedestrians jay walking behind me in town got the biggest surprise!
9D280 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07 October 2010, 23:53   #14
Town: reading&st.davids.
Boat name: scaramouche
Make: osprey eagle 5.6
Length: 6m +
Engine: 90 yam outboard/4hp
MMSI: 235082768
Send a message via Yahoo to tumbleweed41
I think that in this country the rules state that trailers over a certain length and width have to have marker lights fitted and where possible reflectors.These rules are for all trailers EXCEPT boat trailers.In europe the rules seem to be more strict with lights being required to be fitted in many countries as well as mot checks for trailers.I have a 8yr old Brenderup trailer for my boat which was made for the scandinavian market but imported by indespension.This has fitted marker lights(2 amber each side and 1 white)as well as a galvanised lighting board.It seems to have been made this way to comply with scandinavian rules rather than uk ones.Later trailers for uk import seem to have been fitted with only a lighting board.
Surely marker lights are a good idea and make other people notice you are towing a boat?More lights and reflectors the better i say.The europeans have the right idea
tumbleweed41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08 October 2010, 03:37   #15
Length: 7m +
Funny old word, I was doing some research a few months back about overhanging loads on trailers and trucks for a friend, cant remember the exact amount but there is a regulation governing the overhang, if it overhangs by x amount you need some form of identifying markers etc. The regs can be found on one of the government websites department of transport or something like that.

I found it bad enouth with a big trailer in the day time, when I was in fast lane (at 50mph) someone pulled out from slow lane and nearly went straight into the side of my trailer becuase they didnt notice it, so in darkness much worse, yep I feel they should be fitted with lights on the side if towing at night, you could have potentially 12metres behind your car.
boristhebold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 October 2010, 18:07   #16
Town: London
Make: Ribcrafts
Length: 5m +
Engine: 150hp/2x115hp
MMSI: 235090215
Send a message via Skype™ to CJL
White reflectors on the front edge of the mudguards works nicely. Your tail lights and brake lights shine on them quite well so you and others can see them.

CJL is offline   Reply With Quote