Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
 
Old 04 February 2011, 11:32   #1
Member
 
Razorbill RIBs's Avatar
 
Country: UK - Wales
Town: N. Pembrokeshire
Boat name: Various
Make: RIBs & Hovercraft
Length: 9m +
Engine: Outboards
MMSI: Various
Join Date: May 2009
Posts: 1,357
RIBase
Tacho installers

Am about to get a tacho which we have (was on a Maverick we had in once) fitted into the Cherokee (12v, analogue system as vehicle pre-2006) so we can use it for larger stuff (Grand Cherokee already has one, which cost alot....well, alot more than it needed to have!).

Friend /mech has confirmed its as easy as it looks to install, as does the handbook and manuf has confirmed its compatible......

Have been searching around for an approved installer /calibrator etc and have a massive range of quotes from manufacturers recognised centres up to 1.5K plus, and down to 250 ish which is based on 5 hours labour plus first calibration. Now the latter is v reasonable IMO, but got me thinking.....

Is there any reason we couldn't fit it and then merely get it tested /calibrated /certified at centre? Has anyone done it this way around and does anyone have any recomendations /know anyone who might calibrate etc if we were to do this?

Get the impression there is a fair amount of 'cashing in' on peoples ignorance as to how relatively simple this 12v kit is.....

Thanks
__________________

__________________
Dan Worth
www.razorbillribs.co.uk

Follow us on Facebook http://www.facebook.com/#!/group.php...17306504953480
Razorbill RIBs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04 February 2011, 14:10   #2
RIBnet admin team
 
Nos4r2's Avatar
 
Country: UK - England
Town: The wilds of Wiltshire
Boat name: WhiteNoise/Dominator
Make: Ballistic 7.8/SR5.4
Length: 7m +
Engine: Opti 225/Yam 85
MMSI: 235090687/235055163
Join Date: Jul 2005
Posts: 12,645
RIBase
You might be on a sticky one there- as far as I'm aware all vehicles regardless of age with a complete new tacho fitted should be fitted with a digital tachograph.
__________________
Need spares,consoles,consumables,hire,training or even a new boat?

Please click HERE and HERE and support our Trade Members.

Join up as a Trade member or Supporter HERE
Nos4r2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04 February 2011, 18:31   #3
Member
 
Razorbill RIBs's Avatar
 
Country: UK - Wales
Town: N. Pembrokeshire
Boat name: Various
Make: RIBs & Hovercraft
Length: 9m +
Engine: Outboards
MMSI: Various
Join Date: May 2009
Posts: 1,357
RIBase
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nos4r2 View Post
You might be on a sticky one there- as far as I'm aware all vehicles regardless of age with a complete new tacho fitted should be fitted with a digital tachograph.
Spoke with commissioning centre today (correct terminology?) and they said that pre 06 vehicles analogue okay?? Thanks for heads up though.....will investigate further
__________________
Dan Worth
www.razorbillribs.co.uk

Follow us on Facebook http://www.facebook.com/#!/group.php...17306504953480
Razorbill RIBs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04 February 2011, 19:14   #4
RIBnet admin team
 
Nos4r2's Avatar
 
Country: UK - England
Town: The wilds of Wiltshire
Boat name: WhiteNoise/Dominator
Make: Ballistic 7.8/SR5.4
Length: 7m +
Engine: Opti 225/Yam 85
MMSI: 235090687/235055163
Join Date: Jul 2005
Posts: 12,645
RIBase
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan Worth View Post
Spoke with commissioning centre today (correct terminology?) and they said that pre 06 vehicles analogue okay?? Thanks for heads up though.....will investigate further
I may be wrong, but those were the rules that were pushed at us when digital tachos were introduced. There may have been changes since. I'd take the tacho centre's word over mine though as they'll be more up to date.
__________________
Need spares,consoles,consumables,hire,training or even a new boat?

Please click HERE and HERE and support our Trade Members.

Join up as a Trade member or Supporter HERE
Nos4r2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04 February 2011, 19:37   #5
RIBnet supporter
 
Pikey Dave's Avatar
 
Country: UK - England
Town: South Yorks
Boat name: Black Pig
Make: Ribcraft
Length: 5m +
Engine: DF140a
MMSI: 235111389
Join Date: Feb 2008
Posts: 7,579
RIBase
About 4 years ago I was pulled by Plod on the M1,I was towing a 7m trailer with a Disco for work. He asked to see my tacho, which I didn't have fitted. After much tooing & froing between plod & VOSA, I was told that as the vehicle (Disco) was classed as "dual purpose" I didn't need a tacho. Has this now changed or are dual purpose vehicles still exempt?
__________________
Rule#2: Never argue with an idiot. He'll drag you down to his level & then beat you with experience.
Rule#3: Tha' can't educate pork.
Rule#4: See rule#5
Pikey Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05 February 2011, 16:01   #6
Member
 
Razorbill RIBs's Avatar
 
Country: UK - Wales
Town: N. Pembrokeshire
Boat name: Various
Make: RIBs & Hovercraft
Length: 9m +
Engine: Outboards
MMSI: Various
Join Date: May 2009
Posts: 1,357
RIBase
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pikey Dave View Post
About 4 years ago I was pulled by Plod on the M1,I was towing a 7m trailer with a Disco for work. He asked to see my tacho, which I didn't have fitted. After much tooing & froing between plod & VOSA, I was told that as the vehicle (Disco) was classed as "dual purpose" I didn't need a tacho. Has this now changed or are dual purpose vehicles still exempt?
Nasher recently posted this up http://rib.net/forum/showthread.php?...trailer+towing Vosa /Tacho section worth a read....must admit, wasn't aware of any 'dual purpose' exemption

Exemption no.3 (if I'm reading it correctly) would seem to mean that (provided you were within vehicles limits etc), you could tow /run with a rig over the 3.5 tonne limit within 50 Klicks of base and no tacho required....
__________________
Dan Worth
www.razorbillribs.co.uk

Follow us on Facebook http://www.facebook.com/#!/group.php...17306504953480
Razorbill RIBs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07 February 2011, 12:05   #7
Member
 
Country: UK - England
Town: Hull, East Yorkshire
Boat name: Hull Uni One
Make: Humber
Length: 6m +
Engine: OB, Petrol, 140HP
Join Date: Mar 2007
Posts: 121
Quote:
Originally Posted by Razorbill RIBs View Post
Nasher recently posted this up http://rib.net/forum/showthread.php?...trailer+towing Vosa /Tacho section worth a read....must admit, wasn't aware of any 'dual purpose' exemption

Exemption no.3 (if I'm reading it correctly) would seem to mean that (provided you were within vehicles limits etc), you could tow /run with a rig over the 3.5 tonne limit within 50 Klicks of base and no tacho required....
This is correct, but only if driving doesn't constitute the driver's main activity - i.e. you're towing your boat to the launch site for a day on the water - OK, towing it to a boatyard for repairs - not OK.
The 'dual purpose' clause refers to the need to have an operators licence. The tacho issue is seperate.

It's an absolute minefield.
__________________
Dry_Doc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07 February 2011, 14:34   #8
RIBnet admin team
 
Poly's Avatar
 
Country: UK - Scotland
Boat name: imposter
Make: FunYak
Length: 3m +
Engine: 2 stroke YAM 20 HP
MMSI: 235089819
Join Date: Sep 2005
Posts: 10,112
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dry_Doc View Post
i.e. you're towing your boat to the launch site for a day on the water - OK, towing it to a boatyard for repairs - not OK.
?? Presumably just a bit of an unclear example there... but how would towing a boat to a boatyard make driving a main part of the drivers activities? If Mr X can drive a boat stored on land to a launch site where he will then use the boat then surely Mr X can a boat stored afloat to a workshop for repairs? Indeed could a mechanic Mr Y not also collect the boat for repair provided he wasn't just a delivery driver?
__________________
Poly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07 February 2011, 16:02   #9
Member
 
Bigmuz7's Avatar
 
Country: UK - Scotland
Town: Glasgow
Boat name: stramash
Make: Tornado
Length: 5m +
Engine: Etec 90
Join Date: Feb 2006
Posts: 5,068
I thought hire or reward was the governing factor ?.
__________________
Bigmuz7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07 February 2011, 16:14   #10
Member
 
Country: UK - England
Town: Hull, East Yorkshire
Boat name: Hull Uni One
Make: Humber
Length: 6m +
Engine: OB, Petrol, 140HP
Join Date: Mar 2007
Posts: 121
Quote:
Originally Posted by Polwart View Post
?? Presumably just a bit of an unclear example there... but how would towing a boat to a boatyard make driving a main part of the drivers activities? If Mr X can drive a boat stored on land to a launch site where he will then use the boat then surely Mr X can a boat stored afloat to a workshop for repairs? Indeed could a mechanic Mr Y not also collect the boat for repair provided he wasn't just a delivery driver?
Nope, The legislation states that you can carry tools, goods or machinery within a 50km radius of your 'base of operations' for use in the course of the driver's work. You can't tow something from A to B without then using it yourself at B.

Bonkers, but there you go.

N.B. This only applies to commercial use BTW!!
__________________

__________________
Dry_Doc is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off





Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 18:13.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.